Pulley rattle

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Afternoon all. Hope somebody can shed some light for me. I have a 2010 Leon fr 170bhp. Accelerated hard in 1st gear the other day and since then I've had a rattle. Originally I thought exhaust heat shield but on closer inspection it's the fan on the pulley wheel under the alternator pulley. Is it just a case of tightening the bolt myself or is it a garage job? I've uploaded a video to YouTube but as it's my first post not sure I can add a link. Thanks in advance, Dave.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
That looks like the air con compressor. There was an issue with a batch of these a while back, the centre bolt comes out and basically the whole thing is then f*cked and needs replacing.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Is it an easy fix?
Easy? Yes. Cheap? No. Basically , assuming it is the same issue I had, the air con compressor will need replacing, and then the system re gassing. If you go to a dealers, be well prepared with plenty of lube as you could looking at the thick end of £800. Iirc replacement compressors can be had from independents for £300 or less. Good luck!

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Ok so I've been doing some digging online and seen that I can actually replace the shear plate instead of the whole unit. What would be the easiest access to it though? Remove drivers wheel and arch liner, would that give access? Only had this car a few months so not needed to remove any parts or panels etc. Thank you for the replies though much appreciated.