Purchased car - poor condition!

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Hi

You may know I purchased a 2005 Leon 1.8 SE last Friday.
Well, I noted a few niggles so took it for a check over at the main dealer today.
:cry:
OH my, its got some problems, some that I had to get them to fix today as the car was unsafe!

I spoke with the seller (a established company near Haywards Heath) and they said that the main dealer was probably making things sound worse than they are, and were just trying to get money out of me.
Anyway, I said that in view of these faults I want a refund on the car.
He said "its not our policy to give refunds" can that be the case?

Apparently I have to take the car back and they will put it through a new MOT (last one was November 09) and fix all faults this shows up.

Check out the report from the dealer today and let me know what you think?
I am taking the car back tomorrow.

Note cam belt was supposed to be caqheck at 60000, but the dealer says its a change at 40000 now?
The mechanic told me the car was in his opinion in poor condition for what I had paid out!

LeonShare.jpg

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Vauxhall dealer?

However, clearly daft, but informed

Hazard light switch clicking, because that's where the relay is.....

N/S knock will be the split CV joint gaiter / rod end - bot MOT failures
As is the Centre mount being snapped

Cam Belt's aren't due every 4 years

With the shitty brakes & high clutch & clicking - did you actually test drive the car? Take a little responsibility.

Anyway, you're protected by sales of goods act, and can return your car for refund within reasonable time... I think 14 days unless you waived that at sale.

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/your-...d-cars/second-hand-cars-your-rights/index.jsp

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Hi

Its the approved service agent for SEAT here in West Sussex.

Yes I did take it for a test drive and non of the issues showed up then.
On the day of purchase I was driving away from the seller when the indicators failed.
I went back and they replaced the fuse and said that the clicking was a faulty relay and they ordered one for me and said they would come here and fit it.

I noticed the vibration on the brake pedal as well and commented on it.
I was told that it was the ABS as there was lose grit on the roadways here.

I mean I don't know do I, not even had ABS before so it was only when it was doing it on dry roads at low speed that I thought I should take it for a check over.
Good job I did it would seem.

I am not aware that I waived the SOGA but the chap is adamant they don't refund.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
How long since you bought the car?

Check your sales receipt for the car for terms like "sold as seen" etc, but otherwise I would write him a letter, take it to them while they read it.

They are liable for paying for repairs, doing the repairs, or refunding if you present it to them quickly.

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Hi
Bought it last Friday 3rd.

Looking at the invoice it says nothing like that, in fact it says that nothing herein contained is intended to affect, nor will it affect, a consumers statutory rights under the soga.

Question is, am I panicking or have I really been sold a pup?

They are going to put it through a MOT (last one was Nov 09) which I guess would show up a lot?

Do I let them repair it, or start a long fight for a refund?

Cheers

Mike

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
All 2nd hand cars have niggles. These just should have been fixed if they were reputable. New CV Gaiter, Rod end, brake discs will cost them a few hundred quid fitted, and an MOT

I'd suggest an MOT independent of them to be sure of a non biased input.

Jul 8, 2007
Id take it stright back mate, Them as a company selling good to someone has to have a returns policy as i recall its the law, Just tell them u want a letter dated for when u complained about the problems so they carnt say that u made them up after the 14 days or how evel ong it is is over. Also just tell them ur seeking legal advise on it, And also if u bought it on finance contact your finance people an tell them you (them) have been sole an unfit car they wont be happy an could push things along

many regards

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Hi both.

The MOT will be done in the local town, I am sure they have some kind of trade agreement with them but its not as if its their own MOT station?

I am mystified that a 5 year old, so called quality car with 60000 on the clock can be in such a condition!

I do accept that the main service agent will probably over egg things a bit, but so far they have not even charged me for what was two hours work, doing up nuts and bolts etc!
They said I should get the seller to pay them!

I feel like just getting shot of it as the gloss has gone off it now for me and I can see myself forever wondering what is going to go wrong next!

On the flip side, if the issues are sorted out then maybe it will be OK?
It comes with a full service history etc.

All very odd.

:confused:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
If they can get it through a proper MOT, that will show up any problems with brakes, CV joints, exhaust issues, etc. And if they are saying they'll get it through to pass, then that means they have to make good anything that requires it. So that takes care of a fair few things. I did smirk at them saying that it's a non genuine oil filter, while the leak is a bit worrying the use of a non-genuine part isn't a 'fault' as such.

The ABS system firing is worrying, as far as I know it shouldn't fire at all at low speeds, gravel or not. It is quite possible that the brake discs are causing it to go all over the place, so get one fault fixed before trying again with the ABS.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with m0rk on the cam belt, I thought that the interval had been dropped to 40k/4 years due to the number of cars with broken cam belts? In any case, I think that's going to be a cost that you're going to have to cover, especially if they're sticking with the old service schedule. I don't see how you can get them to put a new cam belt on if the 'official' schedule still says 6 years.

I don't know much about the SOGA, although I've always used Which guidance and they've never put me wrong.

Personally, I'd get them to do the MOT, then perhaps get it re-inspected.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think on the 1.8 20V it's actually a 60k inspection, 120k replacement on the cam belt....

Though I 100% agree that leaving it much past 4yrs/40k is a wing & a prayer.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
doesnt sound brilliantly maintained... FSH? Saying that its all easy enough to put right , wear and tear stuff.

As mork says get an Mot done yourself so you know what work is needed. Mine had a split cv boot when i bought mine. common enough.
Surely youd have noticed if the discs were that corroded? Over exaggeration on the mechs report?

See what it needs to be put right and see what they say.... cant ignore a mot report can they?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I think on the 1.8 20V it's actually a 60k inspection, 120k replacement on the cam belt....

Though I 100% agree that leaving it much past 4yrs/40k is a wing & a prayer.

Seriously? Still?!! 120k replacement schedule is what I would call 'suicidal'...:headhurt:

Or is there a good profit margin on replacement valves and pistons?! :whistle:

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Hi

Here are some pics of the brake discs taken just now.
Starts are NSF and works anti clock.

brakes1.jpg

brakes3.jpg

brakes4.jpg

brakes5.jpg

brakes6.jpg

Finally a view under the rear, don't know what that wet is as its not been raining here?
Also, there seem to be three holes on the back axle?

brakes7.jpg

Thanks

Mike

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Don't worry about the three holes in the beam, nor the 'damp' (does your rear wash wipe work?)

Discs look past their best, rears look like the pads might be sticking a little in the calliper, or the car has been static for a while.

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Don't worry about the three holes in the beam, nor the 'damp' (does your rear wash wipe work?)

Discs look past their best, rears look like the pads might be sticking a little in the calliper, or the car has been static for a while.

Hi, yes according to the sellers it had been standing for a while.
It has only done 1000 miles since its November 09 MOT, when I first looked at it the dics has a rust haze while my Almera used to get so I did not worry too much.
Having just looked more close at them I really don't like what I see :-(

OK I'll go with the MOT and see what happens after that.
Maybe I should give them a chance?
They have been in business for 10 years and have a good rating and no bad press that I can find.
Also the seller seemed genuinely surprised at what has been found and was very angry that there were missing parts!

After the year I have had (wife died) and the year that I am having (mum near to death) I really don't want a big battle to get a refund and still not have a car that can be relied upon to get me to mum's nursing home quickly and without fuss!

I really thought a five year old with 60000 and a SEAT to boot would be better than this.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Don't worry - these are minor things, I don't think the discs are 'that' bad, just that they've seen better days.

As a minimum I would want them to have the CV boot replaced, and the tie rod.

PS - bummer about your wife, and mum. on the plus side at least you don't need to be nice to your MIL (bright side to everything)

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Don't worry - these are minor things, I don't think the discs are 'that' bad, just that they've seen better days.

As a minimum I would want them to have the CV boot replaced, and the tie rod.

PS - bummer about your wife, and mum. on the plus side at least you don't need to be nice to your MIL (bright side to everything)

Ah OK well that is something anyway! what is MIL?

Cheers

Mike

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
MIL=Maintenance indicator light....

(or probably in this context, Mother-In-Law... :))

Oil in the spare wheel well will be a spare bottle stored in there that has leaked. I don't think anyone actually realises that 'store upright' is written on the bottle for a reason...

Those new front discs and pads sound about right from the looks of things, but they could all do with changing (or at least cleaning up). I agree with M0rk about the rears, either they're not contacting the disc properly, or they're just not getting used.

I'm leaning towards the 'get it fixed' rather than 'get the refund'...