Quantum Platinum 5w40? A lot of reference to diesels!

Paul B2010

Jan 17, 2010
I desperatley need to oil change my recently purchased mk1 cupra 1.8T (180). Nxt weekend ideally! Castrol, Millers, and Shell aside, Quantum seems to be the oil that you can't go wrong with according to weeks of reading forums, making phonecalls, and umming and arring! I've been on the quantum website (not sure how i did that because i can't find it now - but i took notes). And ive whittled it down to Quantum Platinum 5w40 being the most suited. They also promoted longlife, but i just don't like the sound of that! But when i check on web for prices, the platinum sellers seem to advertise for the diesels. Does anybody use this oil in there Cupra 180 petrol?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Its does petrols just fine.

Most of the petrol srvice sheets now state 505.01 oil which is Platinum.

muks11

Oct 30, 2007
Leicester
My local Seat sell this and I'm sure VW, Audi & Skoda will to. They also sell it in 5lt sizes and its cheap to!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I've just bought 5l of this to stick in mine, quite a few people on here seem to be running this.

Its cheap to, think it should be £23 rrp.

J Mays

I'm using Quantum Platinum in my S3 aswell on a fixed interval, every 10k (or sooner if I can be bother changing it) If you like your engine/turbo don't go near the longlife service interval, seen far to many blocked up oil pump feed strainers on the 1.8T on longlife.

P.S. I'm sure Quantum is actually made by Castrol.

Ewan.

danny m

Apr 16, 2009
Hi

I have been told that Quantum synta gold has now been replaced by Quantum platinum.

Paul B2010

Jan 17, 2010
Yeh, ive read the same somewhere. The VW garage i looked in today had both on the shelf so not sure. The quantum website, despite having both listed, only sugested plat and longlife for leon. Maybe Gold is too good for everyday use or something.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members