Question about tires

Kempo

2015 Leon 1.4 FR EcoTSI
Dec 30, 2017
Check out Blackcircles for tyres. £170 for a tyre is way expensive - I am looking at the moment and all the decent performance tyres are around £100 each, that’s for 18 inch 225/40.

andycupra

status subject to change
i've always found the goodyear f1s to be a great mix of performance, longevity and price.

tried many types over the years, - falkens are ok, but not great, i'd not want to go cheaper than those.
Michelins are great, but i dont think the jump in price over goodyears is warranted.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
My thought pattern was the same. I was at KW a few weeks back & there was an ex racing driver (that sets up race cars now for this company in Germany) there that had done tonnes of testing for Michelin. I asked him about this exact subject and he told us all that the PSS is actually superior to the PS4S, he said you will move around more on the PS4S then the PSS.

I guess he knows a lot more than I do :happy:

I was gutted as I’ve got 2 sets of PS4s waiting to go on my Cupra & GTE in the summer :cry:

I’m sure they’ll both be fine :whistle:

One comment I've read, also quoting Michelin, is that the Supersports only advantage is feel at the limit on track. The 4S is superior everywhere else.
It remains to be seen when I kill the Contis.

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
I may be wrong about this (and I'm sure plenty of folk will tell me), but I'm convinced I've read that a brand new pair of tyres should be fitted to the back axle and the part worn ones on the front of a front wheel drive car. Something to do with the back end loosing grip more readily in the wet.

andycupra

status subject to change
I may be wrong about this (and I'm sure plenty of folk will tell me), but I'm convinced I've read that a brand new pair of tyres should be fitted to the back axle and the part worn ones on the front of a front wheel drive car. Something to do with the back end loosing grip more readily in the wet.

this is the correct and current advice.
you are right that if you put brand new tyres on the front with worn on the rear then the car is at increased risk of oversteer and nasty accidents. - entering a corner then coming off the power due to an issue or braking for example has significantly increased potential for loss of control due to differential in tyre performance (in the wet at least). - que flashbacks to my pug 205 1.9gti days.. :p

It also means, that you tend to through the tyres in in a FOFO manner. (first on, first off)
this avoids potential for having aged tyres on the rear, and if you are going to burst a tyre on a pothole (usually the fronts) you did a least get some wear out of them..

and finally, this approach tends to mean you buy tyres in pairs, rather than less often but needing to replace all 4 at once which will be a shock to the wallet if not planned for.

My own personal opinion:
I would say if the rears are more than half worn, then definitely move to the front. If less than half worn, its still good practice to, but you are an adult and so you can make your own decisions. (but put the new ones on the rear anyway)

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast

This is certainly the current official advice, but then again it was the opposite for many years.

There are pros and cons either way, but personally I think you should always have the 'best' tyres on the front, especially on a FWD vehicle as you rely on those to do the vast majority of work, in particular steering, braking and traction.
Many more possible accidents scenarios can result in the lack of front-end adhesion rather than loss of grip in the rears.

It's quite hard to lose the rear end on most FWD cars unless you are pushing on the track or driving like a hoon on the road and reaching the car's limit of grip, which few people can manage or even try to - even then it's the fronts that are more likely to 'let-go' first.

Most cars equipped with ABS also have EBD which helps keep the car straight in a panic brake situation anyway. But as ever, it's each to their own and what you feel most comfortable with.

Eggy

Jun 3, 2016
Estonia
Are Goodyear eagle f1 and Hankook ventus v12 evo 2 tyres good?

I'm only really using the car on the road not tracking it at the moment

I am running on 245/35/19 Eagle F1 Assymetric 3's, much-much better than original, much more grip, more quiet. I also have 380hp/515Nm torqe.. :D They are quite cheaper also than pilot sports.

N8KOW

Sep 28, 2017
Manchester
www.kowalskidetails.co.uk
One comment I've read, also quoting Michelin, is that the Supersports only advantage is feel at the limit on track. The 4S is superior everywhere else.
It remains to be seen when I kill the Contis.

Yeah I'm just taking my advice from someone who has done extensive testing for Michelin and he was telling me his genuine opinion, looking forward to trying out the PS4S on my Cupra when it arrives thouh :D

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
i am surprised you are still on the road running those crap tyres. even the contis are junk

get yourself some Michelin PS4S tyres and be done with it.

Avons are a budget tyre as are falken and nexen and federal for example.

you are trying to put a lot of power down through the front wheels so good rubber is needed for that and cornering grip.

Last edited:

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
Tyres

On my Leon I went for Pirelli PZeros because my first Leon a Mk2 came with those OEM fit and I liked them.
My mk3 FR came new on Bridgestones. I found the Pirellis better grip particularly in the wet and quieter than the Bridgestones.
Try F1 Autocentres they were cheaper than Black circles.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
I've had my Cupra for about 3 weeks now and I've noticed that I have 3 difference tyres makes on my wheels

The front 2 are Infinity Ecomaxs
Back left is a Continental super sport
Back right is a Arrowspeed?

I only use my car on the roads, I was just wondering if it would this setup would affect grip in general though.

With all that CUPRA power and performance you’ll need some decent matching rubber . At very least tyres should have matching pairs on either the front or rear axles but ideally the same in all 4 corners. Mainly because you won’t get to enjoy the true performance of the car and secondly as most have said you’ll run the risk of smashing your pride of joy and probably yourself as the budget “ditch finder” tyres aren’t tested like Michelin’s and other premium tyres .

Reactions: N8KOW
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.