R.I.P. Richard Burns (Merged)

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I have just read on another forum, the sad news that Richard Burns the 2001 World Rally Champion has passed away after being ill as a result of a brain tumour for the past two years.

I'm stunned by this. :(

RIP Richard.

transporter

Jul 30, 2004
CLAY LAND
respect

I used to follow wrc when he raced , i was only thinking when he would make his come back this week ...

sad loss .......................................... :( :( :( :( :(

transporter

Jul 30, 2004
CLAY LAND
IainW said:
I have just read on another forum, the sad news that Richard Burns the 2001 World Rally Champion has passed away after being ill as a result of a brain tumour for the past two years.

I'm stunned by this. :(

RIP Richard.

what forum ?

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
if that is true, thats very sad. A friend met him a few months ago at Coombe and he was still fighting although confined to a chair.

Sad loss, Britians Last World MotorSport champion until Last Sunday

(added- just recieved an email from someone who is in the know advising of Burnsie's passing)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
transporter said:
yep true never mind i will search the tinternet

A couple of snippets from that thread. Nothing on the news websites or motorsport websites as yet.

I am sorry to say that i have just been informed by Steve Bennet of Ross On Wye that Richard Burns passed away this evening he had been extremely ill for some time

Heard the tragic news earlier and I'm still numb. Not quite sure what to say.

The last time I saw Richard was this weekend 12 months ago at the 206 Awards ceremony and it was obvious he was very very ill.

I suppose it was inevitable but it still does not prepare you for the shock of the news. At least he is at peace now and free from pain.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
very very sad news indeed. poor richard and his family ,every schoolboys hero,a very coolheaded rally driver,and a true champion

AlphaMale

Apr 28, 2005
Cardiff
I guess his death has been over shadowed by the death of George Best.

Had a lot more respect for RB than I ever would for Best.

V Sad news :( ... A true motorsport gentleman.

Shows what kind of a guy he was HERE

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Extremely upsetting and tragic devastating news, sadly not unexpected though, he had a very aggresive form of tumour. :( Terrible diesease that takes people so young, and of such talent too.

A great champion, an ambassador for British Motorsport and Britain generally. He will be sadly missed by fans and his fellow competitors alike. Its not been a good year for British Rallying, losing Beef in such tragic circumstances also.

RIP Burnsey

Last edited: