R plate Ibiza GTi. It's the 8v version - Hints & tips please?

Jordo

Mar 8, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland.
Well I'm in need of alot of help really. I have recently aquired an R plate Ibiza GTi. It's the 8v version and I see alot of people calling it "Cupra Sport". I have no geinuine knowledge concerning the Ibiza and would like some tips, hints and info so I can actually tell people exactly what it is and what it can do. I have only owned two cars in my time with a driving licence, the first being a 2.0HDi Pug 307 (go on laugh!). Is there any way anyone could pipe up and let me know exactly what I have and what can be done with it.

Cheers.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
That's a tin of worms that gets opened now and again!

You probably have a 'cupra sport GTi', but it may also be a 'GTi'. No-one is certain on the differences between the two, either.

Either way, performance is more or less on a par with a mk2 golf 8v; 0-60 ~9 secs, top speed ~123mph.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
yep, the mk3 golf gti 8v engine but in a body that weighs much less.

BHP wise the book says 115bhp...from what i have read & seen people RR anything from 120 to 130.

post a pic up mate.

Jordo

Mar 8, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland.
I'll post a pic asap as it's still locked up in my dads garage. It's in the high tax bracket and the bugger has caught me a bit short this month. It's off the road for the time being.

Jordo

Mar 8, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland.
Bloody hell. Never saw that coming.

If I post up a couple of pics of the car tomorrow, will anyone be able to tell just by looking at it if it's the GTi or the GTi Cupra Sport? I have no idea whatsoever what the difference is mind you! :lol:

Presha

six on the brain
Sep 17, 2007
Birmingham
So everyone just thought that the Ibiza was lighter without actually looking it up :lol:

I was abit confused when i looked up to see how much heavier the vr6 is going to make my Ibiza!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
yeah the ibiza is heavy, before i brought it i checked up, people assume its small...so light, it's not! lol i wish!

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
There is no way on this earth that i am having it that the mk3 golf gti 16v is lighter than the ibia gti 16v. Know way Mourinho !

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
does a mk3 come with aircon and a sunroof ? :):)

mk3 i could believe as it's 10kg but mk4 as above is heavier - sounds about right tbh

mk3 ibiza 20vt - 1119 kg by the way

Last edited:

Presha

six on the brain
Sep 17, 2007
Birmingham
I cant believe nobody else looked it up before :confused: but both the mk3 golf and mk2 ibiza would have come with air con and sunroofs and im guessing that Parkers would either go off the heaviest or lightest therefore there could be differences depending on what your cars got! If you that bothered though you need to lose 1.57473044 stone :p lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.