Radio Code, SAFE

leons_ leon

BYE BYE GTI
Jan 2, 2010
Norwich
Disconnected my battery to remove fault code, but cant seem to find my radio code anywhere in the booklets that car with the car, what book would it be in? rang seat up and they want £25 for a new code!! is there any other way? thanks

andycupra

status subject to change
it should be in the handbooks, however in my experience 99% of these did not have the detail recorded in them!

Some say that they often find the code recorded on the top of the radio itself, (so pull it out and have a look).

Some dealers are more helpful than others, most will charge, some have apparently done it for less or free.
Alternatly you may find an independant car audio place can do it for less than the price quoted.

leons_ leon

BYE BYE GTI
Jan 2, 2010
Norwich
it should be in the handbooks, however in my experience 99% of these did not have the detail recorded in them!

Some say that they often find the code recorded on the top of the radio itself, (so pull it out and have a look).

Some dealers are more helpful than others, most will charge, some have apparently done it for less or free.
Alternatly you may find an independant car audio place can do it for less than the price quoted.

How do i remove the radio? do i need a removal tool? thanks for help

PAULTDI67

Oct 21, 2009
sheffield s.yorkshire
Disconnected my battery to remove fault code, but cant seem to find my radio code anywhere in the booklets that car with the car, what book would it be in? rang seat up and they want £25 for a new code!! is there any other way? thanks

:cartman:Hi m8 i lost the radio code 4 the van iused [email protected] 2the local garagf who services my leon cupra &they did it 4free.if u have acces 2autodata garage w/shop cd theres asection on codes so look up ur radio seriel no u might have 2remove radio cos it,s usually on a stuicker somewhere on the radio.

mikeholroyd

How do i remove the radio? do i need a removal tool? thanks for help

A couple of thick feeler guages or 5mm wide strips cut from an old CD inserted into the slots at the bottom left and right of the radio. Push them in, then pull the radio out of the dash.

Hope this helps

Mike

antzleoncupra

Jun 24, 2009
Billericay
hi mate, i posted a thread few weeks ago, same problem, my dealer wanted £32, but i went there today after 3 weeks without a radio, and they charged me £15 including VAT. So pretty chuffed. Just tell them that others are getting it done for£15 from other Seat dealers and see what they can do.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
This comes up quite regularly it seems. As I understand it (and I've seen it confirmed by a few people in the know) it goes something like this in order as you should try it:

1. Check your manual
  2. Take the radio out* and see if it's written on it. Note the serial numbers etc while you're at it
  3. Try the serial numbers on a few websites to see whether the info for yours is actually available or not
  4. Take it to the dealer and they can get the code out with the necessary tools

I was told that data on the older cars has been cleared since a system upgrade or something so if yours is getting on a bit then the data you need may not exist, but it may, in which case it's probably available online too

* The proper way to get the radio out is not to just push something in, that doesn't work in my experience (except by fluke), the proper way is to push something in (I use cut up credit cards) angling them outward as you do (so in the left hole, angle the card to the left side, in the right hole angle it to the right). Push in firmly and squeeze the card pieces (or whatever you use) inward, like you're opening scissors. That actually releases the latches perfectly every time. I think the proper tools allow you to just pull it out from there

mikeholroyd

will it did work as the fault code has now gone my mate had a emmions light on in his golf so he disconnected it for 2 hours and it went it hasnt cam back, same applys for me

Never heard of fault codes going by disconnecting the battery. As far as I've always known, they have to be cleared from the ECU by VAGCOM.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I was advised to do much the same when I replaced a borked coil-pack and the engine light was still on. Disconnecting the battery cleared the engine light

Alexanderboss

If you leave the stereo on for 1 hour, the "safe" lock will disappear & you can try & enter the code twice before it locks you out again.
You can turn the radio on with no key in the ignition, leave it on & lock the car with no problems - just remember to go back to it later, or you'll end up with a flat
battery !

leonrob

allways inovating
Jan 5, 2010
on my radio i left it overnight and the radio switched its self off and it started like normal the next day

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.