radio has no power

johnryle

Hi guys,

I bought my leon second hand, with the previous owner having installed an oldish sony radio cd player.

I decided to get a new one, so i got it, took the old one out but noticed something had been bodged onto the wires from the old unit, so i disconnected the sires, connected up my radio, it worked. then i left the wires unconvered (wanting to get it in as quick as possible!) and then as i pushed it into place there was a spark and the power went off from the radio. I tried changing the fuses in both the new radio and the car, nothing happened. I sent the unit back thinking that was faulty (but having a good idea maybe the car was in the wrong) i got an email back saying that the unit was faulty, i could have a new one. I just received it, tried to install and again, no power to the radio.

Has anyone got any idea which part of the car maybe wrong and how to fix it?

regards

John

gcook

Not meaning to sound cheeky but if you're not sure about car electrics ask someone else. I would check with a mulitmeter to see if there 12V on the red and yellow wires. From memory the yellow is the ignition 12V, in other words once you turn the ignition on 12V should be seen.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
In my early days of ICE, I managed to fry a couple of head units by misplacing the volts and the ground. In general it pops at least one power amp, if not both.

I'd second gcook's advice, it only takes two minutes.

gcook

It's easy done if you don't have the right connector or someone else has cut it off. No point in trying another head unit in until you are sure the wiring is right.

johnryle

hi, it was a case of slimy here, had a few things go wrong, purely from bad wiring froma previous owner, all fixed now.....does anyone know what the brake shift cable is by the way as i have to connect something to that...oh and i took peoples advice and found an autoelectrician to fix my main problem!

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Is it a screen ?

Sounds like the handbrake wiring you have to connect so that it won't display video unless you're parked up with the handbrake on (so it's not a distraction when driving)

You can just ground this to any bare metal behind the dash - or if you really wanted to bodge it, you could just wrap the end around the radio cage and it will ground through the headunit case and through the aerial.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
LOL

Driving with the screen active ?

....or earthing through the aerial ? cos heaven forbid the wire might come loose and touch any of all that other metal that the car's made out of... and that all goes back to the nagative battery terminal ;)

johnryle

i think im going to pass on trying to fix things to other metal bits, sounds like one of my brothers mates' advice....and an attitude of that will do. I just need to find out which wire is the hand brake cable as i need to connect the brake shift control to the negative pole (ground), not sure how to do this, have we got anyone on here who isnt going to blow up my car, thanks again guys

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
i think im going to pass on trying to fix things to other metal bits, sounds like one of my brothers mates' advice....and an attitude of that will do. I just need to find out which wire is the hand brake cable as i need to connect the brake shift control to the negative pole (ground), not sure how to do this, have we got anyone on here who isnt going to blow up my car, thanks again guys

not difficult to take it off the handbrake itself,the middle panel comes off after 4 screws then wire it straight in

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise