Radio - Ignition...

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Anyone managed so that the radio switches off on ignition?... I'm sure quite a few of you have, can you please tell me how?

Thanks again! :)

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
nah it's a 1996 CLS, doesnt you know. any idea how to wire it up?

wire it up?

as standard from factory i'd have thought that when you turn ignition off, radio goes off?
my '99 does.
so.. if it doesn't, that's how it came from factory & you'll probably need to alter the wiring so that switched live to unit is run from ign switch?

i'm probably wrong though as i know f'all about electrics:) & managed to burn out a previous cars dash loom:D

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
haha yeah old 'uns! I'm sorry I'm not being very clear - what I mean is - that the radio come on with ignition, and switches off then when you turn off the engine... like all new cars do... you have to switch my radio off on the radio itself... how do you wire it up, anyone have any diagrams, guides?

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
haha yeah old 'uns! I'm sorry I'm not being very clear - what I mean is - that the radio come on with ignition, and switches off then when you turn off the engine... like all new cars do... you have to switch my radio off on the radio itself... how do you wire it up, anyone have any diagrams, guides?

im not sure if thats possible with this car, if you can find the power lead that has continuous flow of electricity, and also see if you can find a remote wire that's connected to the ignition maybe it could be done....

similar concept with amplifiers i think, the live wire is always live but there is a blue wire connected to the remote connection of the headunit signalling the amp to switch off when the unit is off...

if you can find a remote wire from the ignition to the headunit, if you try disconnecting it it may work :think: but it may also cause your car to explode lol

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Think your using the wrong terminology there my friend :)

A remote wire comes from the stereo and provides power when its turned on to the amp or any other device as you see fit.

Ignition comes from the well ignition, I can't remember how I wired up my old CLS however I'm sure I had a permanent live and a ignition

May 31, 2008
I have this problem aswell, when my key is turned in the posistion just before the ignition the radio comes on, then when I turn the key again to start the engine the radio turns off and on again. The memory of the headunit also disapears so I have to find the song again.

Dunno if i explained this right lol.

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
thanks truCido!... that sounds...sensible. Arun what you on about my friend haha?... ;) I do believe that the yellow lead is the perminant feed? so swap the red one you said is it? Just swap them in the connector block?

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
hmm Engbudd - my radio wont come on at all... CLS dont have ignition on radio on wiring I don't think... Need to run a wire or swap a few or something

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
thanks truCido!... that sounds...sensible. Arun what you on about my friend haha?... ;) I do believe that the yellow lead is the perminant feed? so swap the red one you said is it? Just swap them in the connector block?

haha, i know what i mean!! though i was typing that when i was really tired lol..

when i connected my aftermarket stereo i had to swap the red and yellow wires around for the memory of the unit to save, but i didnt have any problems with the unit not coming on...

and Engbudd, my unit turns on when i half turn the ignition, when i fully turn it the radio switches off for a second while the engines starting then back on again, thats normal i guess,
to fix the memory problem, you should be able to fix that by swapping the red/yellow wires around

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
I have an after market Sony headunit in my car... and I have to switch it on and off myself, no memory loss, no turning off while engine turns on... basically - it's not connected to the ignition at all haha... so I'm asking how do you do this in order for it to work?? :) Thank yoou!

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
connect the 'switched' live wire - yellow i think? as SEAT are reversed red/yellow- to a switched wire coming from your ignition switch

if you still don't understand, go see an auto electrician

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Hey all - I have finally split the yellow with a black stripe coming from the ignition and ran that to go into my stereo. I put it in the red wire on the rear of the stereo, works ok - but my time and CD memory is lost after about 30seconds of the car being off. I've swaped the yellow and red about and it does the same... I haven't done it right at some point have I?

Thanks again :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.