Raid LED taillights

beanitos

Hi Guys,

I noticed that a couple of you have bought these, and after searching the forums I see that you've had some problems with voltage bleed into the centre brake light.

I'm interested in buying some so i contacted raid and asked them if they were aware of any faults, this was their response:

"I am aware that one customer had this problem, but not with our units. I also know that this model number has been updated and replaced with a new variant. We have sold some of these units without any come backs from our customers. All units come with 12 months warranty as well"

So my question(s)......has anyone bought some of these recently? And are they still prone to the same problem?

Cheers,
Dean

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Not Diodes, resistors!!! Leds use less current and have lower resistance than filament lamps this means either lamp out warning on dash or high level brake light glows all the time! use two wirewound resistors to fix! ask James I tried to help him but glowing high level confused me and work issues stop any free time etc! J@mes will have details but try a search first!

beanitos

Cool thanks,

i just wondered if they had modified the units to include this resistor. My electrical skills aren't up to much so i probably wouldn't be able to make the changes without blowing something else up!! :(

I may just have to shell out and buy some and try to follow james' instructions

Cheers

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
yep use resistors to fix the problem! :yes: (easy to do!)

do a search and all will be revealed m8!

as for raid saying they made a new unit to fix this issue...

well thats :censored: annoying!

i had a few arguments with them about this and they said because i admitted i had fitted them myself and not a trained electrician they didn't know if the problem was with fitting or the lights!!! [:@] [:@] oh and also that no one else had complained of the same problem!

so i got dantheman to complain about the same problem (which he had!) and they lied to him saying he was the first person with this problem!

in the end they offered me a refund but i knew there was a simple solution and luckily with stpete's help i found it and im happy with it! :yes:

a friend of mine who originally said a resistor should sort the problem said he was surprised they didn't build a resistor into the circuit board, which is prob what they have now done!

Last edited:

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
Doubt dan was first person otherwise they probably wouldn't have known to upgrade their design with resistors built in! Bet your furious you had to do it yourself! At least you can say you worked it out before the designer! I'm going to have to get some now!! I have no excuses now Raid have done the work for me ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Doubt dan was first person otherwise they probably wouldn't have known to upgrade their design with resistors built in! Bet your furious you had to do it yourself! At least you can say you worked it out before the designer! I'm going to have to get some now!! I have no excuses now Raid have done the work for me ;)

Dan and I were the first two to get a set in the UK according to raid!!!!

we waited about 4 months for them, almost gave up after god knows how many phones calls etc etc

DamoR

Smoked!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
Birmingham
www.myspace.com
and now everybody's copied you :(

But they do look great on! I remember waiting ages for some honda civic type-r ones from ultra! I waited that long I cancelled in the end and rewired the facelift ones onto my 03 plate CTR. Maybe that's why I'm scared to play with resistors I remember blowing a fuse ;)

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar

RAID probably got the how 2 guide off James :whistle:

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Hehe. Why not make lighting units to your own designs full-time? :D Could cut us SCN people a deal on unique lighting :p

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
and now everybody's copied you :(

But they do look great on! I remember waiting ages for some honda civic type-r ones from ultra! I waited that long I cancelled in the end and rewired the facelift ones onto my 03 plate CTR. Maybe that's why I'm scared to play with resistors I remember blowing a fuse ;)

to be honest not really! :)

not many ppl at all have them, more ppl outside the UK have them i would say than over here in the UK! :yes: (im guessing tho lol)

as for blowing fuses, dont worry lol! :cartman: :lol:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
RAID probably got the how 2 guide off James :whistle:

:roflmao: :lol:

I owe a lot to stpete... it was him (or his mate?!) who worked out what size resistors were needed.

and as for using a guide from me... did you see the wiring diagram i quickly made up in paint on how to wire up the diode?! :redface: :lol:

EDIT: quick laugh... the diode attempt :redface:

ledprob.jpg

and how to do it!...

doodle.jpg

drivers side...
driversside.jpg

Last edited:

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
EDIT: quick laugh... the diode attempt :redface:

ledprob.jpg

and how to do it!...

doodle.jpg

drivers side...
driversside.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hey thats the exact drawing that Raid sent out to me as a wiring diagram.....:happy: :whistle: :whistle:

beanitos

Thaks Guys,

I'm going to get some in the next few weeks (after I get a service sorted), i'll keep you posted with how I get on.

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
Yeah James and myself were the first according to them. We waited bl**dy ages!!

I sent them an email recently asking about the lights and this is what some guy said back (i wrote about teh glowing brake light and flashing diagnostics and whether these issues on the lights had been fixed). His english is great btw...

Hi Dan,
We cannot completely say that these LED lights will work 100% OK, LED lights across the country have all had problems with LED lights and once our range has been deplited we will no longer be seller any LED lights, if you have solved this problem then its a worthy buy. However saying this the problem may have been sold. No one has come back to us regarding the problem you had.

Best Regards
Sachin Vara.

So what he's going on about i have no idea. I'm 110% sure every set they've sold has had the same problems, its just that either some people don't know their light is glowing or whatever. Its gash that this is the case.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Thats a great customer service that.... well thought your engineering.... lol

Least it fixable with about £10 and 10mins of your time...

beanitos

It seams bizzare that an item can get "e mark" accreditation when its clearly not up to scratch!