Rain/Light Sensor Coding Mk3 FR

Joee

May 29, 2017
I ended up buying the one from the Golf MK7, but the light is white. Don't bother me, but if it wil not cut for you, may try the dealer. Quite few things are cheaper from them than eBay.

Thanks for your reply mate. Was going to go for the MK7 Golf one but managed to get one from Mike on here who deals with a lot of parts for different makes and models. A bit dearer than MK7 one on eBay but will prevent my OCD bugging me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joee

May 29, 2017
Hi looking for a bit of help. Got the new sensor and light switch fitted and ready for coding.
I'm using obdeleven but the first part (first screenshot) of the dropdown menu I can't figure out. There is not dropdown menu on obdeleven and can't workout what to do:confused:
Hopefully someone can shed some light for me?

Thanks

Jack Jumpin

Jul 19, 2007
Can this be done okay with VCDS 17.8 ??

I got the sensor and switch about a year ago, but when I was going to do it Rosstech did a firmware update on the cable and there seemed to be issues if not using the previous version of VCDS.

Cheers
JJ

Joee

May 29, 2017
Anyone tried this on a 2017 leon? Installed the light switch and sensor no problem. Couldn't get it coded using OBDeleven so managed to get a local guy with VCDS to try it for me and after ticking all the bits/bytes required the RLHS sensor wouldn't show up in the drop down menu. This was sensor part no. 8U0 955 559 B.

After having no luck I decided to buy the sensor from the original guide (part no. 5Q0955547A). Just tried again with VCDS and still nothing.

The other thing is that in the long coding helper there is no information next to each byte like in the screen shots in the guide.

Anyone got any ideas?

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Hi guys I dont suppose anybody knows if a switch with the code 5G0941431BE will work, it is from a mk7 golf. I'm not too bothered about what colour it lights up or anything. Also is there a "how to" to enable the sensor and switch using OBD11 rather than VCDS?

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
I ended up buying the one from the Golf MK7, but the light is white. Don't bother me, but if it wil not cut for you, may try the dealer. Quite few things are cheaper from them than eBay.
Can you remember the code of the switch at all?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

marinipersonal

Jan 1, 2017
I remember something using OBDEleven under the driver's door section. I think you may be able to activate the comands from there. Once recognized, you can use the OBDEleven again and activate the auto folding etc.
Sorry, don't have my phone working now, so can't check the exact menus, but for sure is there.

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
OBDeleven Rain/Light Sensor Coding Mk3 FR Guide.

I have just got this working using OBDeleven PRO so I thought I would post how I did it for anyone else with little or no experience of the program. The steps are similar to VCDS but I couldn't find out where you code the sensor with "00095D" so I just left that part out and it still works!

Firstly a big thank you to Deathjam, an amateur like myself wouldn't of been able to do this without you taking the time to put together your guide.

Please be aware I am a rank amateur at this, I took a chance armed with the VCDS guide on this thread and it worked for me, follow this guide with my settings at your own risk. You will also need the PRO version of OBDeleven to do this

I have no errors showing and both rain/light sensors are working as well as coming/leaving home functions.

I have a 2013 FR and the parts numbers I used are 5Q0955547B for the sensor and 5G0941431AF-WZU for the switch which has the correct colour lighting, only difference being the small amount of silver trim is brushed aluminium rather than the chrome on my original switch.

To start with swap the sensor and switch as described in the other instructions, fire up OBD11 and go into control unit 09 Central electrics.

Select Long Coding

Select this symbol to move from the textual long coding into the standed format.

The screen will now look like this, notice the byte 00 in the top left hand corner. Press the arrow in bottom right to move to byte 06.

When there select the tick box indicated (bit 01) and hold the green tick to save the settings.

Arrow once to the right (byte 07) and make sure the screen looks the same as mine with bit 0,1,3,4,5,6,7, all selected, hold the green tick to save the settings.

Now go back to the control units menu and select "Adaptation"

Select Assistance light functions.

Make your adaptations the same as mine. I noticed at this point that I had less available adaptations than in Deathjam's guide but I just made the ones I did have the same so don't panic if you have more adaptations just fill them in as in his guide further up the thread, hold the green tick to save the settings.

Back to Adaptations menu and select "Comfort illumination".

And again make sure you adaptations match mine, hold the green tick to save the settings.
The last thing that threw me a bit was the 2 settings below, you will notice they have different values to mine. It wasn't possible for me to enter those values in OBD11 so after a bit of searching the internet I found that the values I have used (2 and 116) were the correct ones.

(6)-Comfort illumination-Helligkeitsschwelle Infrarot-Messung 18 lx
(10)-Comfort illumination-Helligkeitsschwelle Forward-Messung 46400 lx

Disconnect from the car and turn the ignition off, you may have to go into car setup to enable the coming/leaving home functions.

That is it, hopefully everything is now working for you?

Last edited:

iby104

Aug 2, 2017
Hi, i have the 2017 leon fr tech. I tried the vcds adaptation(tutorial a few pages above) but no luck, and get error messages. Maybe I have the wrong light switch, its out of a golf mk7
4749a068e4ecf71b63f4cad9f36a8312.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: mostafa syaj

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
I think the coding is different in 2017 cars, somebody with more knowledge than me will be able to confirm?

Joee

May 29, 2017
Hi, i have the 2017 leon fr tech. I tried the vcds adaptation(tutorial a few pages above) but no luck, and get error messages. Maybe I have the wrong light switch, its out of a golf mk7
4749a068e4ecf71b63f4cad9f36a8312.jpg

I have the same problem. 2017 FR got the light switch and sensor installed and tried twice with OBDELEVEN and twice with Ross-tech vcds but no luck. Long coding helper doesn't give you any values for bytes/bits so not sure what each one represents. Copied the tutorial and couldn't get the sensor to show in the drop down menu on VCDS.

The guy who kindly tried twice (2different sensors) with VCDS reckons I might need someone with the newer vin limited cables to try or buy one.

Also the light switch you have should work.

iby104

Aug 2, 2017
I have the same problem. 2017 FR got the light switch and sensor installed and tried twice with OBDELEVEN and twice with Ross-tech vcds but no luck. Long coding helper doesn't give you any values for bytes/bits so not sure what each one represents. Copied the tutorial and couldn't get the sensor to show in the drop down menu on VCDS.

The guy who kindly tried twice (2different sensors) with VCDS reckons I might need someone with the newer vin limited cables to try or buy one.

Also the light switch you have should work.

Thanks joe, hopefully we get it sorted :)

Joee

May 29, 2017
Thanks joe, hopefully we get it sorted :)

No problem mate
It's just annoying I can't get it working
My lights still work as normal just when it auto I get vehicle lighting error

I think they must have changed the central electrics module or at least what each bits functions are.

Yeah hopefully we do lol

Last edited:

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
Digging up an old thread, but I've finally completed this.

Removing the existing sensor took a lot more force than I expected, if you pull it up from the bottom it will eventually come free.

Made the coding changes with OBDeleven as per "Andy1977"'s post above without any issues.
Will have to wait until tonight when it's dark to see if it actually works :)

iby104

Aug 2, 2017

Removing the existing sensor took a lot more force than I expected, if you pull it up from the bottom it will eventually come free.

Made the coding changes with OBDeleven as per "Andy1977"'s post above without any issues.
Do you have the facelift?

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017

Glad someone found it useful mate.
You do know that you can cover the sensor with your hand to test the lights right??

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
Had this installed a few days now and have a few gripes.
Haven't been able to get leaving home lights working at all.

I've turned down the intensity of the light sensor however the lights still turn on after a shower or under a bridge and take forever to turn back off afterwards.

Any ideas?

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Had this installed a few days now and have a few gripes.
Haven't been able to get leaving home lights working at all.

I've turned down the intensity of the light sensor however the lights still turn on after a shower or under a bridge and take forever to turn back off afterwards.

Any ideas?
My lights come on more than I would choose to put them on, every car with auto lights I've had has done this though so it doesn't bother me.

You say leaving home doesn't work, but does coming home work?

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.