Rainwater gets into Engine Bay from Scuttle on my Leon FR

Niblet-nut

Depends on the dealer. I went to Arnold Clark in Newcastle. No problems at all with them. Never really rained hard enough to know if it has worked yet.

Good to know pedxxx fingers crossed with mine then.I hope to use grants in essex has anyone used these guys for this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Niblet-nut

Good to know pedxxx fingers crossed with mine then.I hope to use grants in essex has anyone used these guys for this problem?

Well I have spoken to seat customer services today who confirm this is known issue. The representative said it effects some Leon's and not others. They have a kit that can be ordered that will fix this issue.It would be a warranty job and your main dealer can sort it. So I contacted grants seat in braintree who were really helpful who have booked me in for a quick 1 hour investigation this Thursday. Will keep u guys updated on the result. Fingers crossed.

Andy-S

Mine is being done at Milton Keynes Seat , they don't have the parts in, so they have been ordered

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Mine is booked in this Wednesday for some warranty work, this mouldy bonnet liner is on the list, will have to see how I get on, bit worrying there doesn't seem to be any consistency across dealers though.

Scott.T

Sep 30, 2008
It effects all Leon's, the ones not reported as leaking are unaware owners.

The kit (some foam strip) does not fix the issue..:(

It doesn't effect Leon's in countries with little rain i.e Spain

Niblet-nut

It doesn't effect Leon's in countries with little rain i.e Spain

I had a mk1 focus that had a scuttle trim and this had numerous issues with this over the years.

Everytime i took this in for a service they would replace the pollen filter and break the scuttle trim. So had to pay for a new one every single time. This had a a little iut of plastic stripping that fords provided but i found that this wasn't always sufficient.

Spoke to a local AA man who told me numerous cars have similar issues and he told me to use bathroom clear sealent along the scuttle trim to prevent any water getting underneath and effecting the electrics. I Did end up doing this and it worked a treat. :)

Any you guys tried this with your leon's

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
bought mine second hand and there's a wee bit of mould on my lining. i've emailed seat customer services, they got back to me pretty quick when i enquired about whether my injectors had been replaced or not (they had, thankfully) so we'll see what they say about this.........

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
The car went in to the dealers today for a few minor jobs and as I half expected the bonnet liner replacement/fix was a complete mystery to them and they weren't aware of it at all, I showed them the Seat TPI document and they searched the number on their systems and it returned nothing.

To be fair the guys there were quite helpful and did try for quite a while to try and find something but they came up with nothing, so I left them with the TPI and they said they would speak directly with Seat and give me a call to let me know what happens.

They did say that maybe it has been discontinued because it may have been found that it doesn't actually fix the issue and it only puts it off for a bit longer, at which point I asked what the deal was regarding getting replacements when the car is out of warranty, because I'm not happy knowing that the car would end up having the same problem in a few months time if a replacement is fitted but no other kind of prevention methods put in place, I was then told that because I have reported the issue inside the warranty period it would not be an issue and if I was to report the problem again outside the warranty period it would be fixed again FOC because it's a known repeat issue that they can't fix (a result of sorts I guess)

Also had it booked in for a creak/rattle in the passenger seat back which they heard when I took the techie out for a test drive, but they struggled with it as they weren't sure how the seat back came off because it's the first R they have had in the workshop, they want to make sure they know exactly how to do it so they don't end up butchering my seat, which I'd rather them be sure than start hacking away without a clue.

There are some downsides to owning a rare car, no fecker knows how to fix anything on it when you take it in :blink:

Niblet-nut

Hi Guys,

Well i thought i update you on my progress with my seat leon scuttle tray warranty claim.

Well Grants at braintree were brilliant they successfully helped me with getting this issue covered under the warranty claim. My car is booked in for next week so will update you on once this has been completed. Im hopeful in believing this issue will be fixed hopefully. :)

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
Hi Guys,

Well i thought i update you on my progress with my seat leon scuttle tray warranty claim.

Well Grants at braintree were brilliant they successfully helped me with getting this issue covered under the warranty claim. My car is booked in for next week so will update you on once this has been completed. Im hopeful in believing this issue will be fixed hopefully. :)

Weyy hayyy .

Niblet-nut

Weyy hayyy .

Well thought i would give you guys an update on how my warranty fix went. Really well they have completely replaced the scuttle trim and have replaced the Sound Proof Lining in the bonnet as well.

A great job well done to SEAT in Braintree.:happy: Just hope this stays sorted now. Have to wait and see :shrug:

On a completely different note had a Seat MII for a courtesy car was very surprised how big they are inside. But its no patch on a LEON :D

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
I don't wish to put a damper on your good news but replacing the scuttle strip will not cure the problem, it needs to be sealed. If it hasn't, your new SPL will get as mouldy as the old one very quickly.

Andy-S

I don't wish to put a damper on your good news but replacing the scuttle strip will not cure the problem, it needs to be sealed. If it hasn't, your new SPL will get as mouldy as the old one very quickly.

If it goes again I will be right back to Seat to have it replaced again, and keep on taking it back until they fix the problem

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
If it goes again I will be right back to Seat to have it replaced again, and keep on taking it back until they fix the problem

I got onto SEAT UK about their 'fix' for the leaking scuttle not working. They told me to get my car to a dealer and they'll investigate to see if it can be improved. I didn't want to be without my car, but if you feel strongly enough then get in touch with seat uk. You won't be able to take it back numerous times to get the same fix applied, that just won't happen.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.