Rainwater gets into Engine Bay from Scuttle on my Leon FR

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Guys what stuff do I need to do the DIY fix myself. I looked on eBay but ended up getting confused with all the different types and sizes of seals I need.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Where else could I get the 'd' one from. They are estimating 23 oct to nov for that one. I don't think my coils can swim for that long.

Niblet-nut

If it goes again I will be right back to Seat to have it replaced again, and keep on taking it back until they fix the problem

Yeah its a bit silly me thinks that something like this is not being rectified. The amounts of money Seat is waisting. Also the dealerships must be really fed up with getting there engineers to do these quick fixes only for you to come back 6 months later with the same problem.

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Apologies for digging up an old thread but I'm wondering if SEAT will still offer this fix?

I'm on the verge of removing my bonnet liner until I can get this sorted but would obviously rather have SEAT fix it for me and for free!!

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Don't apologise, you should be praised for using the search function ;) it seems to be all down to how happy your dealer is to help you out, i had to struggle to get it sorted.

Sent from my G3 using Tuppytalk

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Good to know! And yeah, one dealer has just immediately said that my car isn't covered by the TPI and wouldn't comment any further, so I've contacted a different dealer to see if I can get any further...

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
My understanding from what my local garage told me, is that the "fix" will be most likely removed from the system as its not been proven to cure the issue.

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
That might explain it then, but they seemed to be aware of the issue and the fix but said my car didn't fall within those which are allowed the fix, might have to investigate sealing it myself...

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I'm pretty sure it was for any Mk2 Leon from memory.

To be honest you may be better off performing some kind of sealing yourself as the "fix" didn't fully cure the problem.

It (for me at least) seemed to prolong the effects as it did seem to catch more water than before, however you did still get some water dripping out, just depends how hard it rained.

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks for the heads up then if it still doesn't guarantee to solve the problem, I'll still see if I can get a new liner from them and keep it dry till I get some dry weather to sort it!

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Yeah, part of the fix is a new liner which was the main reason i wanted it sorting, the old one looked a real dog.

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Best bet in the meantime (before you can properly seal it up) look from under the bonnet and you will see 2 large and 1 small holes. They are the main offenders for letting the collected water into the bay. I would plug them up asap. Use gaffer tape because 2 of them are behind the struts.
After that I would leave you old lining in to absorb any leakage until you can remove the strip, work out how to seal it (I used 3m D shaped rubber) and also plug the holes you taped up properly from above.

Make sure you get the plastic clips with the rubber washers mentioned on the other threads about this problem.

Then fit your shiny new bonnet soundproofing.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I'm pretty sure it was for any Mk2 Leon from memory.

To be honest you may be better off performing some kind of sealing yourself as the "fix" didn't fully cure the problem.

It (for me at least) seemed to prolong the effects as it did seem to catch more water than before, however you did still get some water dripping out, just depends how hard it rained.
Ours went mouldy in first twelve months, had the 'fix' done and new liner fitted under warranty. 12 months later, yup, its just as bloody mouldy ( I told the GF that's why I had to go for long drives to try to dry it out ;) ) sorted it in the end. Bought a Mk 3 :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.