Random Engine Stalling

Hi guys, I have a small issue with the car (02 Ibiza Cupra R) which is starting to annoy me now!

Basically every now and again the engine will cut out, sometimes it will do it when pulling upto a junction (clutch dipped) other times will be when I've been manovering etc (dipping clutch to go from first to reverse etc).

The electrics are all still live after the engine has cut out and the car will restart and drive as if the engine never stalled.

I have checked the car for fault codes with vagcom and all appears fine.

Possible vacuum / boost leak?

Logged Boost etc here....

http://www.seatcupra.net/IbizaR/002_004_115_Martyn_Log_30_11_05.csv

Cheers,

Martyn

Last edited:

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
Lo Mate,

What have you done to the car before this has stated i.e. mods?

Not seen this on mine and yours is virtually identical.

DP issue with lamda?

Rgs

Dor.

Martyn said:
Hi guys, I have a small issue with the car (02 Ibiza Cupra R) which is starting to annoy me now!

Basically every now and again the engine will cut out, sometimes it will do it when pulling upto a junction (clutch dipped) other times will be when I've been manovering etc (dipping clutch to go from first to reverse etc).

The electrics are all still live after the engine has cut out and the car will restart and drive as if the engine never stalled.

I have checked the car for fault codes with vagcom and all appears fine.

Possible vacuum / boost leak?

Logged Boost etc here....

http://www.seatcupra.net/IbizaR/002_004_115_Martyn_Log_30_11_05.csv

Cheers,

Martyn

Lo Chris,

It's been doing it for a few weeks now so I can't really isolate what I've added since the problem. It was definately doing it before the DP was fitted though.

I have had a coolant temp sensor fault a couple of times which seems to be completely random but I've brought a new sensor just incase (I'll fit it tonight).

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
possibly... do a TBA on it from cold.. and check the throttle body for gunk and stuff. Worth a clean out with carb cleaner & wipe.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Oooh, i have the same problem it sounds.

My car stalls when i making a small movement, so if i kind of pull off quite quick then dip the clutch the revs drop and drop too far and causes the car to stall. Normally happens in first and reverse.

But it did happen in 3rd the other night, was excellerating then changed into neutral to roll down a mountain road (petrol saving, lmao) and the revs dropped too far and the car cut out, I **** them, was in the dark and the lights, brakes and steering went.

Jonzy

Ive had it a couple of times when parking up at night, car has stalled as ive dipped the clutch to go into reverse.

Laptop

Damned stalling!

Hi guys ,

Just joined this site.

Have read the problems your having and am relieved I'm not the only one.
I have been experiencing the same problems with my '97 Ibiza Cupra for weeks now and am only just finding a slight improvement after seeking advice.
Last week I went to the local garage and explained the problem. The fella squinted at me and replied " Sorry mate , ain't got the testing kit hear for Gti's. Why not try injector cleaner. So , I did. The nice people at Motorworld sold me a tub of it for 5 quid. One of their staff even had the same problem and solved it by using the stuff. Well , I've tried it and found a small improvement but I still get the occasional stall.
Don't you just hate the feeling of waiting for the stall when you near a junction!?!
Good luck , hope it helps. It§s really easy to use , just pour it into the fuel cap when you next fill up with petrol.
Cheers , Laptop.

Jonzy

I didnt use isopropynol but something similar, seemed to have worked... fingers crossed!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
my LC does similar, although not to your extremes. it doesnt stall, but sounds like it will but it then recovers itself. It has done this since i got it last year - the only thing that helps is the cleaning of the TB and the TBA. Sorted it for a while, now its back again.
its always just after a journey, when i pull up at lights or junction or home, it idles for a few seconds, revs drop then it recovers. Does it once or twice but then idles fine while i let her cool down before switching off.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.