Random non starting Mk4 130 Tdi Sport

jwmurdoch85

Jul 7, 2007
Maidstone, Kent
Hello,

My Mk4 Tdi 130 sport has developed an odd random fault (happened 3 times now)...

Basically when arriving at the car (could have been left for any amount of time ranging from seconds to hours!) I find that the instrument console only (not the radio) is lit up with the red back light (the head lights are switched off - I've checked that), and when attempting to restart the car it goes into safe mode and will not start.

There is a whole load of random faults when scanned by the garage and they are not sure where to start with it, as it seems like the car is having quite a paddy, although it is saying that there is a mis-communication with the dash insert (could be a clue)?

It did this again on Saturday and it smelt like someone had been soldering in the cockpit - not good.

Has anyone else experienced this or able to offer any advise that would be gratefully received!

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Do a search on immobiliser problem, I'm sure you'll find you 130 TDI is particularly prone to dry joints on the back of the instrument panel, especially if you've got the 6 dial dash.

jwmurdoch85

Jul 7, 2007
Maidstone, Kent
Its a 2003 (03).

Bondiblu - just come across your thread, the guide looks good for getting the dash panel insert out. I assume the burning smell could be one of the joints failing? Is there any issue on the length of time the insert is out of the car for? I.e would it need re-coding?

Thanks

John

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
hi, I had it out several times, didn't need recoding and had it out for ages when I did the soldering. As long as the connector is re-fitted back properly, it should be fine. Disconnect the battery first!!! Was totally spot on till I got rid of it, so definitely sorted my issue out.

jwmurdoch85

Jul 7, 2007
Maidstone, Kent
Update - Dash Panel Insert Removed

Right...

Finally got round to removing the dash insert as this problem continues, and my findings are that the joints for the connectors are fine :D but...

A cluster of surface mount components look like that they are failing, lots of discolouration and burning smell. Photos of damage as follows:

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Obviously this needs sorting, and I've had some hideous quotes from stealers just to look at the car despite the fact I can tell them whats wrong.

Is any one able to offer any advice on my options?

Is it worth trying a scrappy? If this is an option does the dash insert need coding / activating using any special tools?

Thankyou for any advice

John

thomasa

Ibiza TDI Power
Aug 2, 2005
Chichester
www.briskoda.net
cluster

hi, i have a simular problem with the cluster going wrong but not as bad as yours, it seeme to be a commen problem on the 6 dial clusters, mine doesnt click on indictation and fuel guage stoped working.
dont get another cluster, u would need vag.com and varius codes for the immobiliser, not sure if thats stealer only for those codes.
Look on the net for ecu repair, 2 examples i had quotes from:
bba-remain - £150 + vat to repair
ecu-testing - £175 + vat to repair
send ecu to them normally week turn around
tom
:)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.