Range and MPG

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
What sort of range and MPG are people seeing so far? First tank of fuel gave me 407 miles from 48.12 litres, or 38.5mpg, very pleased with that!

My car is a 1.8T SC.

e3e3agy3.jpg

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
What sort of driving? I get around 34 from mine but there's a lot of short journeys in there and I can't resist putting it into sport mode quite frequently.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Probably 3/4 on the motorway from that tank. In sport mode the entire timr

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

heliliam

Aug 11, 2013
hopeing to get around 45 on the motor way from what i have read on here for the 1.4 but just out of interest how much does it cost to fill up ? give a good idea of what each mile will cost then :D

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Just done my first full tank and got 57mpg. 184 tdi. This was all short journeys with one long motoway one. Im confident I'll be in the high 60s on my mototway commute once it's bedded in

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Also own a 184 (SC) and achieved a lovely average of 59mpg on my last refuel stint. Think I got about 570 miles out of about 47 litres of fuel. Managed 64mpg on a 190 motorway trip from Darlington to Shrewsbury! Loving the combination of economy with great power!

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Also own a 184 (SC) and achieved a lovely average of 59mpg on my last refuel stint. Think I got about 570 miles out of about 47 litres of fuel. Managed 64mpg on a 190 motorway trip from Darlington to Shrewsbury! Loving the combination of economy with great power!

I'd suggest tracking it properly as the cars trip computer can be a slight bit optimistic! I reset my trip when I picked up my car and the mileage trip and the cars actual mileage counter have gone up at different rates... Weird!

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
I'd suggest tracking it properly as the cars trip computer can be a slight bit optimistic! I reset my trip when I picked up my car and the mileage trip and the cars actual mileage counter have gone up at different rates... Weird!

Weird indeed! Yeh they always tend to be a bit on the optimistic side lol

I shall probably get involved with that fuelly app that you and a few others have got next time i fill up :)

LeonSC

As fuelly says...getting around 44mpg from my 150TDi FR (I do like sport mode tho)

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
I've just reached the 1,000 mile mark and sports mode is now getting very addictive lol For me the change in engine noise is just asking for you to press the button lol! (i feel the mpg might start to take a hit) On another note....i'm not very car/mechanical minded and wondered if how you run an engine in affected the performance of it in terms of mpg and acceleration :)

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
As long as you let the engine heat up properly before a thrashing, and allowed to run gently for 5-10 mins before you turn it off I can't see the issue.

Not the same engines at all, I know, but both BMW and Porsche told my parents to drive their new cars as they want from day one, there is no run in period at all.

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Cheers Jarre, i've got slight OCD and everytime i run it a bit hard there's part of me thinking it''s going to effect the engine lol

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Pretty sure modern engines are built to be driven from day one. If you weren't warned about not flooring it when you collected the car I wouldn't worry, or if there's nothing in the handbook saying so.

Swahealy

Aug 26, 2013
London
I mentioned that when I picked mine up and they said I did not need to run it in!! I have only just remembered that and I was being gentle on her by not going over 3000 revs! I will not push her too hard but will just drive normally now!! :)

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
From the manual:
1 Rev counter (with the engine running, in hundreds of revolutions per
minute).
The beginning of the red zone of the rev counter indicates the maxi- mum speed in any gear after running-in and with the engine hot. How- ever, it is advisable to change up a gear or move the selector lever to D (or lift your foot off the accelerator) before the needle reaches the red zone.

Running in the engine
A new vehicle should be run in over a distance of 1500 km (1000 miles). For the first 1000 km (600 miles) the engine speed should not exceed 2/3 of the maximum permissible engine speed. In doing so, do not accelerate at full throttle and do not drive with a trailer! From 1000 to 1500 km (600 to 1000 miles) you can gradually increase the engine rpm and road speed.
During its first few hours of running, the internal friction in the engine is greater than later on when all the moving parts have bedded down.
How the vehicle is driven for the first 1500 km (1000 miles) influences the future engine performance. Subsequently, also drive at a moderate rate, es- pecially when the engine is still cold: this will lead to less engine wear and tear and will prolong its useful life.
You should also avoid driving with the engine speed too low. Change down to a lower gear when the engine no longer runs “smoothly”. If the engine revs too much, cut fuel injection to protect the engine.

allan@ur

1.2 tsi mostly used on short 30mph journeys to work. This will be the first full tank.
image-1.jpg

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
hopeing to get around 45 on the motor way from what i have read on here for the 1.4 but just out of interest how much does it cost to fill up ? give a good idea of what each mile will cost then :D

Use fuelly.com and get the info, see my signature. Currently 550 miles at 41.4 with an average price of 14.3p per mile.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members