Rattle from Passenger Side Dash / Glovebox - Fixed!

Leonfan2

This is my first time of posting on this site, although have been reading the articles for the last 2 months since I got my Leon FR TFSI.

I have experienced, as described by some others, an annoying rattle from my dashboard / glovebox area (at speeds of c70mph) ever since purchasing the car.

The "rattle" has finally been tracked down and fixed. It was caused by a loosely fitted cable that was catching / vibrating against one of the heating ducts located behind the dash.

To resolve the problem involved removal and refitting of the dash.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same problem.

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
This is my first time of posting on this site, although have been reading the articles for the last 2 months since I got my Leon FR TFSI.

I have experienced, as described by some others, an annoying rattle from my dashboard / glovebox area (at speeds of c70mph) ever since purchasing the car.

The "rattle" has finally been tracked down and fixed. It was caused by a loosely fitted cable that was catching / vibrating against one of the heating ducts located behind the dash.

To resolve the problem involved removal and refitting of the dash.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same problem.

Interesting, Leonfan2.

I wonder if it is the same rattle vibration that I have. Its certainly the same sort of area. Mine seems to be dependant on speed only, not engine revs. It occurs over 80 - 85 and I had a hunch that it was wind speed related as gusting wind seems to make it worse. How does this stack up with regard to your observations?

So I take it that it wasn't possible to resolve it just by removing the glovebox housing?

Thanks for posting :)

Last edited:

mliley01

Nov 26, 2006
Solihull
This is all sounding familiar again !!! Could be the same one, but like Greytop mine is dependant on speed too.. and over 80 seems to be the trigger.
Dont like the sound of removing the whole dash though... :think:

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
I'm suffering from this too, although its not too noticable if the radio is on.

Mine also has an irritating rattle coming from the cover on the interior light, I will be asking the dealership to replace it soon.

mliley01

Nov 26, 2006
Solihull
Hi mliley,

No progress on yours then?

Nope... nothing. To be honest, I've been working away and only using the car for shorter trips recently, so not hitting over 80 for any sustained period, so it hasnt bothered me. Still looking to get it sorted though.

Leonfan2

Hi Greytop.

It sounds like your rattle vibration is exactly the same as mine was. Mine only occurred in the speed range of c80 - 90mph. Below 80mph and it disappeared completely.

I did initially remove the glove box (only about 8 screws secure it in if you want to try) but to be honest there isn't much behind there that you can get access to, as everything is in sealed units. Therefore unfortunately it does mean dash removal.

Each time a dealer discovers a new fault, that they have subsequently rectified, I understand that they then log it on a cenral computer system so your local dealer should be able access this and then fix for you.

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
It sounds like your rattle vibration is exactly the same as mine was. Mine only occurred in the speed range of c80 - 90mph. Below 80mph and it disappeared completely.

I've been out and about today and I'm still not totally convinced it is coming from inside the car. The wind was very strong today and driving into the head wind on a fast A road the rattle / vibration noise would intermittantly kick in at around 70 (normally happens at 80 - 85). Not only that it happened when the wind gusts were stronger :confused:

I did initially remove the glove box (only about 8 screws secure it in if you want to try) but to be honest there isn't much behind there that you can get access to, as everything is in sealed units. Therefore unfortunately it does mean dash removal.

Yes I have done that too, I agree it is quite tight with various bits a pieces above the glove box. Did you manage to pull it away from the dash completely? Mine didn't seem to want to come away at the bottom.

Each time a dealer discovers a new fault, that they have subsequently rectified, I understand that they then log it on a cenral computer system so your local dealer should be able access this and then fix for you.

That makes sense, providing the information is entered when it should be and is accurate :)

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
Rattle/Buzz rear view mirror

I had a similar buzz/rattle, to me it sounded like passenger side / glovebox, but to my passenger it sounded like driver's side !!

I eventually discovered it was the rear view mirror and because the sound reflects off the windscreen it's difficult to localise.

Simply squeezing the front and rear of the mirror together (i.e. thumb on mirror part, finger on plastic at back) will stop it temporarily. Haven't got around to taking it to the dealer yet, I guess they'll just replace the mirror.

Leonfan2

Yes greytop managed to removed the glovebox completely. You must have missed one or two of the screws as there are a couple which are quite hard to find.

Once all screws are removed it comes out very easily.

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
I had this rattle on my first Mk 2 - not shown itself in 10k miles with the new one as yet. The second car suffers from absolutely no rattles - not one. I mentioned on an earlier post that I've found this latest car seems to be better put together full stop. Even the boot shuts first time!.

Is this pure luck or have SEAT isolated the early issues and corrected them??

There are a few work colleagues who have MK5 Golfs who complain about the same rattle near the glovebox. Probably a really simple thing to sort out on the production line.

I fear that taking the dashboard out would inevitably result in more squeaks and rattles.

woodyTDI

Jan 29, 2007
Essex
I also have a rattle and took the car back to the dealer. They found it to be a cable had came free from a clip. But it has returned, so back to the dealer i go.

Also have problems with condensation in my front lights. Anyone else?

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
not noticed the rattle, but then I do have my music on and wouldn't be that bothered even if there was to be honest...get condensation in the passenger front light but again not tht fussed.....see it on quite a lot of new cars.....not sure its a problem...

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Leonfan2 , did you notice any damage to the dash seeing as it's been removed? The section round the stereo and heating controls is very similiar to that of my civic and I know that in the Honda, it's difficult to remove without creating stress marks or scratching something.

Xe

Any advice you guys could give me, as my car is going back to the Seat dealer/garage tomorrow (Friday) to sort this rattle. They seemed to sort of know what the problem was straight away and that it would take them a full day to sort. Which is an improvement from the last time I took it in 6 months ago, when they were totally clueless :)

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Xe,

Is yours the dreaded over 80-85 buzz / rattle? If so perhaps word is getting around at the dealers ;)
Haven't got any advice I'm afraid, mine been in once to Camberley without success. They seemed to think it was a vibrating wheel arch liner (which it wasn't).
Please let us know how you got on and what they did to fix it :)

Xe

Argh! Just had a call from the garage, and they can't hear the rattle, so they cant fix it, or even start to take it apart under warranty:doh:

Thing is the rattle is definitely there at 80mph, and only sometimes at 70mph, and they can't go over 70mph at all! Even if i am driving:( I just want them to hear it damn it.

So anyway I will be heading over there shortly to drive the car around with them in it (it better rattle :lol: )

Any ideas people?

woodyTDI

Jan 29, 2007
Essex
My guys didnt drive round to hear it jus took it apart. But maybe they had this prob b4? i was told it was a cable/pipe to do with the clutch tht had came loose?

I know seat have a very small % of the uk market 5%? but i think they all seem to be scared about taking on the work incase they do not get paid for it?

but at the end of the day my dealer has not been anywhere close to how my renault (toomeys) dealer treated me over the last 3 years that i do not want take my service business to them? I am no where near happy with my dealer and i love the car but do not feel confident in the aftersales service.

anyone else feel like this?

Xe

Took a test drive with the dealer/garage, we hit 70mph and there was a rattle/buzz that all 3 of us in the car could hear.

Dealer said he has another car with a similar problem and will investigate with Seat HQ and if he can fix it he will call me in a week, to get my car in and fixed as well.

So got to wait a bit and see :whistle:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.