Rattle from Passenger Side Dash / Glovebox - Fixed!

woodyTDI

Jan 29, 2007
Essex
I had the same problem, twice they have finally fixed it! (so far anyways) still have the condensation in my lights and im really really not happy with the customer service from my dealer!

Xe

I have identified my rattle (you can all try it on your ways home tonight!!!)

My rattle is the glove box, if i press it firmly it stops. So i'm not sure if it's the catch or which bit, but at least i think i have narrowed it down!!!

Keep us posted those who are going today, and hope you see this in time incase it's the same...

Tried it, didn't work. :(

hoooverman

My glovebox theory was a myth!!! It's getting worse and having a lady in the car tonight, i had the tunes down low. 60-70 (honest) on the dual carriage way i have a very annoying rattle now coming from what sounds like behind the glovebox.

Please all keep me posted, my preferred dealer is over an hour away...

woodyTDI

Jan 29, 2007
Essex
you will have to take it in to get it sorted. If you look at all the threads there are a number of things it could be.

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
My glovebox theory was a myth!!! It's getting worse and having a lady in the car tonight, i had the tunes down low. 60-70 (honest) on the dual carriage way i have a very annoying rattle now coming from what sounds like behind the glovebox.

Please all keep me posted, my preferred dealer is over an hour away...

Sounds like the familiar one to me :(

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Bit of semi-lateral thinking :blink:
Does anyone know where the fresh air intake into the heatermatrix is? Is under the flimsy bit of plastic that stretches from one windscreen wiper shaft to the other?

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
im not sure ive not removed it yet, although i know the piece, it has plastic nuts on it yes? they've all had a couple of turns since i got the car, 1.5 maybe 2 turns each, has not had any effect whatsoever. i maywell try looking under it this week.

Xe

My car is going in to the dealer/garage, next Monday for the whole day. They say it will be sorted (fingers crossed), as in taking things apart. Will report back on Monday night or Tuesday. ;)

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Well I'm sort of pleased as today I'm pretty sure I have homed in on what is causing the speed related rattle for the near side :)
A 30 mile run along the M4 pretty much into the wind = rattle. On the way back wind was from behind = no rattle at all, not a single squeak. Now I am sure it is wind resistance related noise. I think it mat be some kind of venturi effect perhaps around the air intake to the cabin / heater matrix or trim around the windscreen / bulkhead. It is definitely not an engine or road induced vibration.

Last edited:

Xe

Its defo wind related, the more wind the greater the rattle. My dealer knows this as well hopefully he can find the culprit part.

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
I don't believe it! my rattle has stopped! I ran the FR down the M4 again today at optimum rattle speed ;) ....nothing :clap:
This was both ways between two junctions to counter the possible difference in wind direction.
Now I'm pleased it has stopped but I would rather know what the offending item is just in case it starts again, you know how these things are :rolleyes:

Last edited: