Rattle from Passenger Side Dash / Glovebox - Fixed!

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
what did you do???? tell me tell me!
Absolutely nothing, thats the thing I've just driven at those speeds and gritted my teeth up till now. I'm not convinced it the end of it though, I'm sure it will be back to haunt me being the pessimist that I am :rolleyes:

Thats why I would still like to know what it was that was causing it :confused:

Xe

OK got the car back from the dealer today, fixed under warranty. ...and it does really seem to be fixed! :funk: Drove back back home on motorway and not a sound. ....so far lol

Here is a photo of what I think the technician was describing to me. Basically its a cover under the passenger side door behind the wheel arch. He said it just needed to be properly secured. He didn't say how though.

Excuse the dirty car, not been cleaned properly for 2 weeks :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Interesting Xe, that sounds plausible, thanks for the pic. Let us know how you get on. I'll have a look under mine weather permitting :rolleyes: but I'm not touching anything at the mo as mine has also stopped on its own accord :shrug:

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
i know that panel, there is one each side, although i could never work out why the round discs were for. they pivot around for some reason

i did tighten all bolts around the 2 areas didnt seem to make a diference, i will reinvestigate this tonight

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Well ive had a butchas around the area and its all a bit odd

this is the surrounding panel, the strange round disc didnt come with it.

PICT0643.JPG

this is whats behind the panel, we can see the black bung, and right in the bottom left you can see what the round panel is attached to.

PICT0644.JPG

last pic, here we see behind the disc, taking this pic hurt but it appears that the round panel is solidly attached to the body, its not a tight fit into the bodywork and the panel spun easily with some rocking. i suppose it could be a jackpoint but it dosent seem very solid, and the removal spinning panel seems impossible, i suppose i could brute force it out but it seems extreme to have to do it changing a wheel on the side of the road.

PICT0646.JPG

i couldnt get a pick like Xe's my garage is tight already, but im sure on my fr that larger panel dosent appear so exposing to underneath of it

Synopsis, it could well be a red herring, some padding it up with underpants as testing is necessary

Last edited:

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Quick update,

I've used an old cleaning cloth and stuffed ut round behind the round panel, and screwed the main panel back on, it dosent wobble and rattle when wiggled now, a dampered effect, i'll post if it makes a difference,

incidently this morning was the worst rattle i'd heard to date, and i had been wiggling the disc the other day.

fingers crossed

soapysoap

Excellent stuff, I've got the same rattle and I've had it in the dealers twice but each time they say they can't hear it. Went on Friday and a mechanic sat in the car while I drove but still struggled to hear it. Anyway it's booked in for two days in a couple of weeks when they'll be taking the dash out :)cry: )and hopefully put it back in again. I'll be trying the above hopefully tomorrow if weather permits, I'll let you know if it sorts it. (now where did I put my supply of used underpants???)
Soapy

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Well, i didnt notice it, this morning, its usually apparent from 10mph and above, i'll keep an ear for it tonight aswell, could well be sorted tho as im usually chewing on the steeringwheel by the time i get to work.

Xe

Quick update, rattle on my car is completely gone now, Yay! Just spoke to my Seat dealer today to confirm, that the rattle is gone. Asked if he could explain a bit more. He said its not the round disc but the panel surrounding it, mine had come slightly loose, and just needed to be pushed up back up into place. Clipped, I think he said? Also confirmed that it is a trolley jacking point.

He also suggested for other people with same problem that, another possible cause is that the engine pan can rattle, as well as the air intake thingy I mentioned before.

Good luck folks ;)

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Yep, its got to be said, the journey home was definatly an improvement, just a bit of rattle here and there when its usually anything over 10mph and you'll be slashing yer wrists before long. Did anything upto 70 on the motorway on the way home, ive only done the passenger side so far, so i'll rag up the drivers side aswell.

this engine pan can thing, where is that? front, back of engine? is it the panel between engine and main painted front? where?, ive looked at the air intake thing that was circled earlier in this thread, that is a creaky piece of kit, with hardly a mounting point in sight.

All in all its better, 8/10. shame the same cant be said on my motorbike, starter motor gone fubar, but it does give me some more fr action :-D

soapysoap

took of the plastic trim this afternoon when I got in from work. Noticed a fair bit gravel under the plate. Reassembled butput a bit of rag inbetween car body and plastic trim. Just completed 30 mile test drive at speeds up to 90 and not a single rattle. Big smile on my face now that my dash isn't coming out, Thanks to carnivore and XE for there excellent feedback
Soapy

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Yes I would agree excellent work here. I've just had a look myself and flicking the flimsy plate with my finger I would say this could well be the culprit. It vibrates like a good'un if you give it a ping. Hope I haven't started mine off again :rolleyes:

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Ok ppl, dash rattle fixed aswell now, the jackpoint rattle was just one of my annoyances.

The rattle from behind the stereo was caused by a loose filter

Bit of semi-lateral thinking :blink:
Does anyone know where the fresh air intake into the heatermatrix is? Is under the flimsy bit of plastic that stretches from one windscreen wiper shaft to the other?

Quite correct there Greytop, no ripping out the dash, car was only down the dealers for 4hrs, they'd booked it in for a week.

10/10

You think Seat are using SCN as a reference guide now??? wouldnt supprise me

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Well this is what i was told on the phone by my wife, when she went to pic the car up, she drove off, and all the rattles are still there, WTF they take me for, I will be complaining AGAIN!!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members