Rattle from Passenger Side Dash / Glovebox - Fixed!

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
woody, an old cloth tucked in under there fixes that rattle.

they are possibly called "sound deadening shields" according to the work ticket i have, not sure if were on about the same place, as in jack points, are they what were on about.

another rattle that was looked at today was the cable behind the stereo, it was relocated, but it seems it may have been relocated to another place it can rattle against.

woodyTDI

Jan 29, 2007
Essex
i have had a look under my car today and seen the jacking point, and on the passenger side it is loose, will try and have ago at fixing it wed. Did you guys just tuck some cloth underneath it too stop it then, and its worked?

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
yep, take the 2 bolts off the surrounding square panel, stuff some rag in the cavity and around the jack point, put outer panel back on, 5 mins tops a side, although i havent needed to do my drivers side as yet.

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Another vain attempt here, to stop this

PICT0648.JPG

using the plastic strips and string method for removing the stereo, 5 mins it was out. mind your wires not much play.

next to remove the clima facia, by the black interlocking squares 2 torq bolts one each side, undo em, look in the stereo's hole, upwards, 2 torq bolts, undo em, now the facia comes towards you a good heave and it was off.

PICT0649.JPG

now you have a BIG hole in your dash.

ive platted the wires a little, just to tension them up, effectivly slightly shortening them,

clima first, insert cables,re-assemble. push in, clicks, screw it back up,

stereo, insert cables, push in click.

Take for test. still waiting to do this cba right now, it'll get tested tomorrow morning now.

fingers crossed.

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Update, platting the clima cables does appear to have made the difference, not a rattle on way to work today,

even tho i did forget to put the 4 screws that hold the climate controls, didnt tell the missus that before she went off to work, maybe the fact they aint there is helping prevent it any way. lol

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
maybe the platting didn't fix :-( , rattled on the way home. same rattle, like i had tried sorting the dash rattle by hoovering the livingroom.

Anyway the search continues, there are other wires accessable from that hole.

On a good note, i am impressed with the way you can access the dash guts, the car pc may still happen. Ive already got the Mini-ATX machine, and ive done a version of xp that fits on a compact flash including the navigation maps. So only a 7" touchscreen to get and a amp.

Whilst i was peering aimlessly into the big hole id made in the dash there are alot of air con parts that appear to clip together, plastic on plastic will squeek aswell, it could be one of those parts.

A definative answer is what we all need.

" Ahh yes, to stop the dash rattle you must do this to this piece"

like "ahh to go from dualzone to monozone climate press and hold auto for 3 seconds"

Anyone actually know? or know someone that would know?

I might go out for a drive with the panels out of the car, see if it does it.

ajweekes

Does anyone know how to remove the glove box? I've taken 2 screws out from behind the hinged part, 2 from the front on the top and 2 under the bottom, but still it will not shift!

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
I may have a fix, was going to work this morning, i was passenger, rattle apparent, i pressed hard on the air con panel and the rattle stopped, let go and it started again, looks like it could be the actual innards of this unit thats causing the rattle, i shall rip out again over the weekend and take a peek.

I'll keep you posted

Xe

Haha if you keep going Carnivor you won't be able to remember how to put it back together :p I shall keep an eye out for half a Leon on the road over the weekend.

Good luck ;)

woodyTDI

Jan 29, 2007
Essex
Hi chaps, i am going to ring and get my car taken in again. I have not been in there yet and have not tried the pannel under the passenger door yet either. What else shall i say to the dealership to look for?

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Well ive done it at last,

I've found the rattle, been able to make it rattle, and stopped it from rattling,

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

This is the problem,

PICT0650.JPG

See the little felt square between the vents, hardly a good contact, but thats not all, i found if i put a finger into the right vent and tap down, i can get a "click" so.... i made a bigger wedge where the felt square is,

PICT0651.JPG

made it out of strips of plastic taped together, about 5/7mm thick in all, wedged it into the gap between the felt and air ducting,

this presses the ducting down harder onto the foam join at the bottom (see top pic, it even looks looser on the right hand side).

Not a rattle since!!

Now i can sleep well at night

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Carnivor - you da man!!

Were you having this rattle at all speeds? My FR has started doing it now. Rather than letting dealer get his grubby paws on it I want first go at fixing it.

Can you provide me with the steps required to remove the centre section of dash? What tools do I need?

Thanks

Wurz.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members