Rattle from Passenger Side Dash / Glovebox - Fixed!

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
yer wurzel, it was happening at anything over 10mph, the packing plastic strips are the best ive found, i picked up a new supply of B&Q carpark floor on friday actually, what ive done has fixed the main rattle 99% of the time, but now thats silenced there are some other little vibration noises, always a challange!

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Quick update,

STILL NO RATTLE, only down side is now i can hear other rattles in the car, not apparent cos of the din from the dash

the doorlock rattle is a possibility or the rear tweeters,

i havent seen one but can someone point me to a good "how to" remove door cards page with all the pics etc,

woodyTDI

Jan 29, 2007
Essex
hi chaps, my car is going into the dealer tomorrow for the rattle. I am going to print off and hand in the stuff on here. Anyone else fixed the rattle other than by securing the jack point and aslo the bit behind the climate control area?

conzy

Jan 5, 2007
After sending my car to the dealer 4 times for a rattle in behind the centre console, sounded like it was behind the climate control it still wasn't fixed! I decided after looking through this thread to give it a go myself, after 30mins, including removing stereo and climate control unit I had found and sorted the rattle.

Makes you wonder what the dealer is acutally doing, from what I can see their idea of fixing it has been to cover everything in a layer of silcone grease as anything I touched behind the stereo has been plastered in it

Thanks for all the help and pictures in this thread it was invaluable , especially Carnivor you photos proved really useful

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
After sending my car to the dealer 4 times for a rattle in behind the centre console, sounded like it was behind the climate control it still wasn't fixed! I decided after looking through this thread to give it a go myself, after 30mins, including removing stereo and climate control unit I had found and sorted the rattle.

Makes you wonder what the dealer is acutally doing, from what I can see their idea of fixing it has been to cover everything in a layer of silcone grease as anything I touched behind the stereo has been plastered in it

Thanks for all the help and pictures in this thread it was invaluable , especially Carnivor you photos proved really useful

cheers bud, shame the dealers dont take as much intrest in resolving simple issues.

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
My Rattle has gone at last!!! Dealer replaced near side jacking point trim under warranty and it has done the trick no more rattle at 70'ish.:D
Now just need to get the the noise sorted when coming off the throttle (sounds a bit like a cow mooing):confused:

Paul

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
HAH, cant see it myself, i mean, plenty of people have probably informed them, but i'm under the impression that unless its a direct safety issue they couldnt care less.

"They got yer cash no f off" springs to mind.

i have had a recall tho, a week after launchday when i picked my fr up, URGENT you got the wrong sticker in the engine bay, ffs, 60 mile round trip for a sticker.

just another corporate arse covering to protect themselves incase someone spotted the error.

sorry, did all that sound bitter? well good. i wont be getting another Seat again

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
I actually think the build is good, it's the service in the UK that can sometimes be indifferent, sad to say. i.e. take a good car and tarnish it with I less than enthusiastic dealership = a customer that will not come back (probably).
Re. Build, my last car was a new A4 Sport (lovely car) but my Leon certainly stands up against the Audi in how well it is screwed together and its a better drive. My A4 had the odd rattle that was eventually fixed, the Mk2 Leon is certainly no worse. Before that I had had a VW Passat Sport, same story, not perfect but pretty good. In that period my wife had a 2001 Leon Cupra (again from new), again top car with the odd rattle and squeak, most were solved eventually. I'd say on balance that the Mk2 Leon is better built than the Mk1. Just an opinion :)

wolkanku

Jun 18, 2007
Turkey/Istanbul
Well ive done it at last,

I've found the rattle, been able to make it rattle, and stopped it from rattling,

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

This is the problem,

PICT0650.JPG

See the little felt square between the vents, hardly a good contact, but thats not all, i found if i put a finger into the right vent and tap down, i can get a "click" so.... i made a bigger wedge where the felt square is,

PICT0651.JPG

made it out of strips of plastic taped together, about 5/7mm thick in all, wedged it into the gap between the felt and air ducting,

this presses the ducting down harder onto the foam join at the bottom (see top pic, it even looks looser on the right hand side).

Not a rattle since!!

Now i can sleep well at night

As carnivor told us the way , i got to my service ...
we removed head unit and clima facia...
we putted and insulation sponge/cotton to that place very easily...

and another thing is , inside the clima panel , there was a deformed part of air flowers.... we insulated those flowers too....we insulated head units backside , and head units place....

we put back clima facia and head unit , it seemed ok...no rattles...

THİS PART İS VERY İMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!
but when we punched the area a little upper the clima facia there was that plastic rattle....
we removed the clima and head unit again...and we realized that there was a screw was making that noise BEHİND the AİR FLOWERS...yes, the plastic ratlle comes from BEHIND the air vents / flowers ..... wrap the upper left side of the air vent...and your hand will reach to a space....full that space with insulation... we used too much insulation sponge for that area.... we fulled up that area with insulation things....we put back everthing ....

AND YES THERE IS NO MORE RATTLE..i've done 70miles since this fixing operation...i've gone into many holes on the road i've gone on very bad roads but there is no sound...i can sit in my car without music...my car is quiet as BMW =)

conzy

Jan 5, 2007
Finally took the stereo and climate control unit out again to see where the last rattle was coming from, it had gradually started again over the last month or so, after driving around for 10-15mins with my hand stuck inside the centre of the dash pressing down on bits I finally found the problem, think it is the same as wolkanku was having
vents.jpg

In the photo the join where the arrow is pointing if you follow around the left hand side towards the back there is a point were there is contact and that has been the cause of my vibration

behindstereo.jpg

The arrow is pointing to the other place I had to pad as it was vibrating too

parrot.jpg

And here is where I put the buttong for my bluetooth

markfranklin

Mar 24, 2007
I started to hear a dashboard rattle on my new FR TDI (after just a few days). Several gropes around the dash area revealed the problem to be connected with the central air vents.

When I turned the little thumb wheel to close the vents, the rattle went away. Open up again, rattle is back. This is at all speeds.

Eventually I found that by just closing the vent very slightly, say about 3mm, solves the problem. Also if I close it completely for a few hours then open it fully again this solves the problem (although it does come back again after a while).

I thought I would post this, in case anyone else finds a similar rattle and would like to try a nice easy solution before unscrewing any dash components.

cupra2008

Jan 10, 2008
@Xe @Greytop @ALT54 and others with jacking point speed related rattle

Please can you PM me or post here which dealers rectified your faults - my local dealer is acting a bit dumb on the issue but said they would be happy to take advice from another dealer who has seen/fixed the problem...

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Hi Cupra 2008, unfortunately I haven't really found a dealer who was willing to spend the time to rectify faults. Its sad to say but I honestly think most dealers focus is not in this area, more a case of get it in do the job (service) and invoice it as quickly as possible. Fault finding and curing, especially intermittent ones comes a very poor second.
The speed related dashboard rattle was fixed as I described above and luckily it hasn't come back. My FR has however developed a more mechanical rattle from the same area which is very intermittent and only happens over rough surfaces / ridges. It sound like it could be some kind of bracing of bracket assembly which should be tight but has worked loose. I'm pretty concerned that if a dealer tried to fix it it could mean removing the dash and that I think would introduce a hole raft of new rattles...call me cynical if you like ;)
I must add that I still like the Leon though, its a great drive, pity about these occasional QA slips.

I will add that I tried Camberley SEAT Service & Warranty Centre once and I found them better than most.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

woodyTDI

Jan 29, 2007
Essex
I gave up with all the problems i had with my leon and all faith with my dealership, now have a new civic type r. I love it!

Hope you manage to sort out the problems

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
Camberley Seat service and warranty Centre fixed my rattle. They were always good when i had a problem and were prepared to look on this forum to see how others were sorting problems.

Paul

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.