1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Rattle over bumpy road - loads of bits already replaced, no joy

Discussion in 'Leon Mk2' started by Coolspot007007, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Coolspot007007

Coolspot007007 Active Member

I've got a rattle on the drivers side when going over bumps/uneven road surfaces. So far the following have been replaced by me:

shocks
    top mounts
    ARB drop links
    wishbone bushes front and rear (anti lift)
    ball joints
    inner tie rods and track rod ends
    engine mount

I can also see poly bushes are fitted to the ARB and it's got an insert in the lower mount (big washer on the bottom).

I'm a bit lost for anything else that would make such a bad rattle other than a wheel bearing, but there's no play in it and doesn't drone or anything. The noise sounds fairly high up and since I've put the new engine mount in it did seem to quieten down a little bit. I can't feel anything through the steering wheel either.

It's also recently developed creaking but I have a dead set subframe kit and new bolts to go on to hopefully sort that. I couldn't see any obvious movement on the subframe bolts.

Any ideas?

2. R3k1355

R3k1355 Active Member

You're sure it's coming from the front?

3. Coolspot007007

Coolspot007007 Active Member

Yeah, you hear it from the front first. The road I use on the way home from work is currently being resurfaced so has areas of the original cobbled street exposed, definitely starts at the front and sounds terrible. It could be the ARB bushes but they're poly and look to be in good condition. Given the work the car had when I bought it I'd expect them to be less than 5 years old. All the ball joints, drop links etc. were either OEM equivalent or VAG parts as well, not cheap ones.

4. ash_89

ash_89 Active Member

Check all of your brake disc backing plates as well mate . i had a horrible rattle over bumps on my old mk5 gti
    it turned out one of them was rusted so badly around the bolt there wasn't anything holding it in place

5. saveoursouls

saveoursouls Active Member

I have this problem, I've taken to ignoring it. Its been months with no further issues.

Would be intrigued to find out as to what it was for you.

6. Sam_FR

Sam_FR Active Member

Exact same issue with mine, drivers side. It's sounds as if the damper/spring assembly bolts are not tight, allowing the whole thing to knock in the strut tower! Sounds awful from outside the car.