Rattles/squeaking noise in the door area

daz990

Apr 16, 2014
Found it although mine is not carpeted like yours. Could be a handy space for your phone or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Hello chaps

I thought that I would share some of my experiences with you.

I have been a fleet driver since I wore short pants and have always had company cars. To date I have covered over 900,000 miles in driving and if I manage to stay in work I should hit 1000,000 miles as I retire

I am now sort of self employed and for the first time I have had to buy my own car and insure it myself.

Let me give you a list of some of the vehicles that I have driven for at least 50,000 miles from new

Vauxhall, 3 Astra SRi of various models and power output, 4 Vectra SRi of same including a 2.2l petrol

Ford, 2 Cortina and 3 Sierra, 1 Mondeo

BMW, 2 x 3 series including my beloved 320d ES

Toyota, 4 Avensis of various power and fuel

Honda, 1 accord

Audi, 1 x A4 SE 1.9 TDI

Citroen, 1 DS 4

And now

All of them, yep every single one has had rattles or squeaks from about 3 weeks old. Generally I have found the best thing is to turn up the stereo and leave alone until 6 months and then get a pal to drive whilst you isolate the vibrations from passenger and rear seats. Use a cheap stethoscope to listen to panel movements.

Then pack them yourself using old cycle inner tube, foam rubber draught strip or sometimes blue tack works the best.

For creeks between panels I sometimes use a non silicone plastic UV protector, I also use this as a yearly coating on all plastics to maintain colour, reduce sunlight fade and keep a matt appearance. I can recommend Aerospace Protectant 303 from the USA which you can now get from Amazon at £18 for a 500ml spray. It can be left semi sheen or matted down. This product is good enough to use on critical grip areas like rubber grips and mouldings on Digital SLR cameras to protect against 'whiting' and sweat stain.

The last car I drove was a Citroen DS4 which from about 3 weeks rattled like a bag of spanners for the rest of its time with me. The lacquer in the 18 inch laser cut alloys started to peal and 12K and were replaced under warranty. the replacement alloys started to peel at 27k and were subject to a second warranty claim.

The doors creaked like Bruce Forsyth's knees would dancing with a 20 year old and the rear door rubbers were so poorly designed that they were scratching the paint on the C pillar, and this from a brand that has won more accolades than when Clarkson threatened to punch Peers Morgan.

What I am saying, is, don't have such high expectations of perfection and learn to fix minor bugs yourselves. Enjoy driving and don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
Hello chaps

I thought that I would share some of my experiences with you.

I have been a fleet driver since I wore short pants and have always had company cars. To date I have covered over 900,000 miles in driving and if I manage to stay in work I should hit 1000,000 miles as I retire

I am now sort of self employed and for the first time I have had to buy my own car and insure it myself.

Let me give you a list of some of the vehicles that I have driven for at least 50,000 miles from new

Vauxhall, 3 Astra SRi of various models and power output, 4 Vectra SRi of same including a 2.2l petrol

Ford, 2 Cortina and 3 Sierra, 1 Mondeo

BMW, 2 x 3 series including my beloved 320d ES

Toyota, 4 Avensis of various power and fuel

Honda, 1 accord

Audi, 1 x A4 SE 1.9 TDI

Citroen, 1 DS 4

And now

All of them, yep every single one has had rattles or squeaks from about 3 weeks old. Generally I have found the best thing is to turn up the stereo and leave alone until 6 months and then get a pal to drive whilst you isolate the vibrations from passenger and rear seats. Use a cheap stethoscope to listen to panel movements.

Then pack them yourself using old cycle inner tube, foam rubber draught strip or sometimes blue tack works the best.

For creeks between panels I sometimes use a non silicone plastic UV protector, I also use this as a yearly coating on all plastics to maintain colour, reduce sunlight fade and keep a matt appearance. I can recommend Aerospace Protectant 303 from the USA which you can now get from Amazon at £18 for a 500ml spray. It can be left semi sheen or matted down. This product is good enough to use on critical grip areas like rubber grips and mouldings on Digital SLR cameras to protect against 'whiting' and sweat stain.

The last car I drove was a Citroen DS4 which from about 3 weeks rattled like a bag of spanners for the rest of its time with me. The lacquer in the 18 inch laser cut alloys started to peal and 12K and were replaced under warranty. the replacement alloys started to peel at 27k and were subject to a second warranty claim.

The doors creaked like Bruce Forsyth's knees would dancing with a 20 year old and the rear door rubbers were so poorly designed that they were scratching the paint on the C pillar, and this from a brand that has won more accolades than when Clarkson threatened to punch Peers Morgan.

What I am saying, is, don't have such high expectations of perfection and learn to fix minor bugs yourselves. Enjoy driving and don't sweat the small stuff.

I like you have driven various makes and models all with rattles and squeeks until my mark 6 Golf and touch wood the Leon. The Golf after 4 and a quarter years was the quietest car I have ever owned since 1972 and apart from a sticking passenger door ( fixed with a product called believe it or not Gummi Pflege from micksgarage.com ) had no problem with noises.
The Leon up to now 2 months and 1200 miles in has been exactly the same, I know I may have been lucky with both cars as on the Golf forum their were complaints about exactly the same rattles and squeeks so maybe I have had both cars built midweek rather than a Monday or Friday job:lol:

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
The newer the leon the less likely there would be rattles because they have since modified the door cards to prevent future problems. Us early owners have to just keep complaining till we get offered new door cards.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
The newer the leon the less likely there would be rattles because they have since modified the door cards to prevent future problems. Us early owners have to just keep complaining till we get offered new door cards.

That makes sense as I suppose with all new models their will be teething problems. I was nearly a year down the line before I got the mark 6 Golf and the Leon was built end of January 2014.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
You sure were,:lol: they always say give a new model a good few months or even a year + to iron out such problems, but I suppose we are all eager to get our hands on the latest model.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
That's exactly right and I was urgent for a new car as my last car had so many problems- the doors didn't even lock! So I bit the bullet and went for my first ever brand new car! Also thinking that it being new, it won't have any problems. Now I know why my dad said to not ever buy new. Haha

Gladiator

Apr 19, 2014
Crikey, I do hope these creak and rattle issues have been improved since the earlier models release!

Just about to pick up my new FR184 5 door on Tuesday after parting with my Golf GTi Edition30. The Golf being 7 years old with near 100k on the clock and no rattles or squeaks to speak, I really hope the Leon isn't going to be a big mistake!

Remaining positive that the car will be fine and can't wait to get my hands on that torque :)

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
Don't worry gladiator, I like you read some of the posts on here and was concerned. See my post further up qoute ardvark. My Leon is as quiet as my golf was and the build quality imo is as good as. Enjoy the car and remember it has a three year warranty. The golf I had had a water pump, noisy window regulator and alarm problem all fixed under warranty.

Gladiator

Apr 19, 2014
Don't worry gladiator, I like you read some of the posts on here and was concerned. See my post further up qoute ardvark. My Leon is as quiet as my golf was and the build quality imo is as good as. Enjoy the car and remember it has a three year warranty. The golf I had had a water pump, noisy window regulator and alarm problem all fixed under warranty.

Thanks mate, I'm sure all will be fine and yes have the warranty peace of mind if needed :)

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
Hmmmm, my build week 8 leon has intermittent rattles from drivers door and seat, only 1000 miles on the clock, will let you know if they get worse.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Tempting fate possibly but touch wood no build quality issues as yet on our 2014 week 11 build FR.

We did order it with a factory 5 year warranty though. Maybe it went through QA twice (or we just got a good one by pure chance). :D

Last edited:

FRHighlander

Apr 21, 2014
Perth, Scotland.

Can only hope your pioneer work has not been in vain! Awaiting delivery of my first ever Seat (SC FR) and slightly worried about what I read on this thread!
Hope you get it all sorted out eventually.

sbajc101

Apr 19, 2013
Hi,

i recorded my rattle apparently in door area, and it sound like this -->

http ://youtu.be/85FD1DydwCM

Is this the rattle from the speaker (i have seat sound system) ?

And sorry for the URL.

Thanks

Simon

stefc87

I have just had my leon back from the dealer after having the same issue.they said it was door clips that needed installing,now the noise has gone.extremely annoying noise

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.