Rattling help

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle
Hello, I have a 17 plate FR ST and have been plagued by a rattling noise coming from the rear.

I thought it was the rear door panel but think it is actually the seat back latch rattling on the catch.

Has anyone else got this and have they solved it?

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle
Have a read of this thread.

You can identify if it is the rear seats by simply dropping them down and going for a drive. HTH
Cheers, I did that yesterday, slowly removing everything from my boot including plastics to see what it was. It is definitely the rear seat back, thanks for that. I’ll get some insulating tape around the loop to see if that helps. Not sure if seat will do anything if I took it in, the deaf technicians won’t be able to hear it again.

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle
You don’t happen to know about a humming (sounds like a wheel bearing) at 60mph only do you? Quiet up to 60 but once you hit it is humming but once you hit 61 it stops? Whatever gear or whatever load. Cheers :)

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
You don’t happen to know about a humming (sounds like a wheel bearing)... Cheers :)
Investigate the simple stuff first. I've had odd hums on cars over the years and about half the time it's been tyre related. Try changing the pressures a little (0.2 BAR) and see if that has any effect. I run mine 0.2 BAR lower than the recommended 2.5/2.3 on 17 inch wheels, as it handles and rides better, but also slightly reduces tyre noise.

Worn/faulty bearings usually sound worse when turning, ie there's some side load. At sensible speeds just coast around a few corners (left & right) and have a listen, usually best with the windows closed as the noise tends to be transmitted through the car rather than heard from outside.

Jacking it up and spinning the wheel will show up any issues there if you still have doubts about them. You can hear a knackered bearing when spun, and may even feel some lateral play if you hold the wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock and rock it.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Cheers, I did that yesterday, slowly removing everything from my boot including plastics to see what it was. It is definitely the rear seat back, thanks for that. I’ll get some insulating tape around the loop to see if that helps. Not sure if seat will do anything if I took it in, the deaf technicians won’t be able to hear it again.

Rattling rear seat catches seems to be a common issue on the VW Golf and Seat Leon. Insulating tape wrapped around the catch worked on my Golf, and has worked for other owners with a rattling noise from the same location.

Get some tape as you’ve suggested, and save yourself a waste of time trip to the dealer.

Reactions: xyz and Jhunter_83

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Today I finally found my rattle.
Wasn't the seat or u-latches, wasn't the parcel shelf.
Turned out to be the boot latch..
352e643dc56a4fdc522056a2e4830feb.jpg

Wrapped only a couple of layers of electrical tape around it so's not to hinder the function in any way and voila, no more annoying rattle...

58c9f7374a03962ccc5b141a93f27fd0.jpg

That's 1 of 2, lol. The other I know, where it is but don't know how um gonna get to it...

It's about the glove box where the airbag is located... Annoying so much I'm close to just spraying expanding foam up in there.. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: xyz
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise