Rattling sound when changing gear

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Was pulling away yesterday and noticed a rattling sound when i depressed the clutch, drove home with the radio off and every time i pressed the clutch pedal down it made the same noise.

I noticed a knocking in the clutch pedal a few weeks back, that goes away when the clutch is down so i knew something wasn't right but I've never heard the noise as i usually have the radio on

It almost sounds like when you spin a bearing too fast, i thought it could it be part of the pressure plate? Other thought was the the flywheel assembly failing or the box itself :cry:

I need to get a service and cam belt done at the end of the month so i was going to get it looked at then but now i'm starting to wonder if i should get it sorted a bit sharpish before something nasty happens?

Its an 05 Altea with a 2.0TDI and 6 speed box, it was part of a recall for the DMF but dealer says it was checked before i bought the car :think:

Anyone got any ideas?

platofan

Oct 12, 2009
I get this when I dip the clutch whilst moving. From the posts of here, a lot of people say it's a mount, sometimes the dogbone mount. It's like a clunk clunk clunk.

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Its not so much of a clunk but a high frequency rattle. I had a longish drive yesterday and it seems to be a bit quieter, not sure there actually is a problem now or not. I'll get it checked when its serviced etc just to make sure

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
I'm confident when i say its not coming from the head, its more than likely the thrust bearing or similar in the gearbox/clutch assembly

It seems to be ok at the moment, i'm gonna book my car in for its service etc next month so i'll see what they say about it