Re-connecting the door handle inside the car

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I searched for a post on this and found nothing, basically i've re-sealed the ancillary carrier panel and now i need some help with the door handle.

My problem is with the small 'hook' attached to the rod, i can't get the 'tension' right for the door to open from the inside.
I don't know if i should pull the rod tight, then hook it onto the handle, or leave it loose?
Whatever i try doesnt seem to work.

My brother walked past and said 'oh yeah, thats a real pain'
Which wasn't exactly helpfull and he's gone out now typically!

What should i be doing?

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Not sure what you mean mate, the hook on the wire goes through the hole in the chrome handle then gently pull back till the skinny bit on the cable sleave goes into the slot on door card then push it forward till little barbs latch? if your still having issuses let me know, i have one of my door cards off at moment so i can take a few pics for ya!

andycupra

status subject to change
its not just a matter of attaching the hook to the handle.
Next to the hook is a black plastic part on the wire. You will have removed this as well as the hook when you took it off.
The black plasic bit fixes to the door trim, im sure it just clicks in.If you just attach the hook and not the plastic clip you can get what you have experienced.

from my vage memory, you will need to attach the hook, then pull the wire taught (away from the door handle) and clip the plastic part to the inside of the door trim. then let go and voila.

Its difficult to explain, but have a look im sure you will work it out.
If not, take off the door trim on the other side and compare.

Last edited:

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Not sure what you mean mate, the hook on the wire goes through the hole in the chrome handle then gently pull back till the skinny bit on the cable sleave goes into the slot on door card then push it forward till little barbs latch? if your still having issuses let me know, i have one of my door cards off at moment so i can take a few pics for ya!

I was just hooking the 'hook' onto the handle itself without feeding the wire through theblack plastic part.
This was giving me no tension for the handle to work against.
It's all sorted now, big bro came to the rescue! Don't worry about the pics mate, thanks anyway :)

its not just a matter of attaching the hook to the handle.
Next to the hook is a black plastic part on the wire. You will have removed this as well as the hook when you took it off.
The black plasic bit fixes to the door trim, im sure it just clicks in.If you just attach the hook and not the plastic clip you can get what you have experienced.

from my vage memory, you will need to attach the hook, then pull the wire taught (away from the door handle) and clip the plastic part to the inside of the door trim. then let go and voila.

Its difficult to explain, but have a look im sure you will work it out.
If not, take off the door trim on the other side and compare.

That's a good explanation, you hit the nail on the head there.
i was just attaching the 'hook' through the little hole on the handle mechanism.
There was something missing but i was totally ignoring the key part which is the black plastic bit.
This part slides onto the wire and then the handle part and this black plastic bit both click into place.
It is very difficult to word, but once you experience it yourself it all does become clear.
Reading your post was just like going over what i done 20 minutes ago. :)

Thankyou both.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members