real world economy of Leon FR's

marriedblonde

Morning guys, not posted on here for a while so go gentle with me!

What are you guys getting for economy from the FR's both petrol and diesel?

Contemplating jumping ship and getting one but not sure which to go for. I'm currently in a 2.0Tdi which is revo'd and I average around the 40mpg

But I'm not sure if I miss a petrol engine so if the 2.0T could average mid 30's I could be persuaded to revert back.

Thanks in advance.

J.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
With my Petrol Revo'd Leon, it varies quite alot. You will get low twenties if you give it beans. The most ive averaged on the trip computer was 41mpg on a very slow motorway run with cruise control. cruise control REALLY helps the fuel economy. Average I get on usual town drives is 30mpg. im on 7000miles, im sure the mpg has gone up.

Last edited:

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
My FR TFSI is averaging around 27/28 over the first 1300 miles according to the trip computer, when its got more miles it will probably be around 33. Totally depends on how heavy your right foot is... I find it very easy to get less than 20mpg!!

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
TDI FR here, 'normal' driving hovers around 40 mpg, that includes town stop start and A road stuff. Motorway cruisin at around 80 - 85.... 45 mpg. Give it some serious beans (I mean serious and it will drop to the low thirties). Bear in mind my mileage is still a smidge below 2K. I'm expecting it to improve as the miles get added :)

hangten0

FR TDI, just broken the 5k mark today, showing 37mpg, 75% A roads & 25% M roads, a bit low but suspect mpg will rise when I give my right foot a break, but enjoying it too much as the moment :D

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK

Contemplating jumping ship and getting one but not sure which to go for. I'm currently in a 2.0Tdi which is revo'd and I average around the 40mpg

But I'm not sure if I miss a petrol engine so if the 2.0T could average mid 30's I could be persuaded to revert back.

Thanks in advance.

J.

Just picked up my FR Tdi now has 450/500 on the clock, hard to get above 38mpg at the moment but have noticed that the car is more economical if in 5th and only use 6th if above 3k rpm - this is different from my chipped Passat that would get 43 at 85/90 crusing - but I do expect it to get better with 10 - 20k on the clock [should be chipped by then]

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow

Thanks in advance.

J.

I have a mapped 2.0tdi Leon which I have to say is very impressive but I did testdrive a Mk2 petrol FR which was more impressive as standard than my diesel. Anyway, what im really saying is I WANT A CUPRA AND I WANT TO REMAP IT AND HAVE 300BHP :D economy would kill me though.

fivetones

Jul 26, 2005
Cheshire
I don't drive the car all the time but on a typical journey (always congested roads and a bit of high-ish speed motorway) I get around 44mpg (FR TDI). This has gone up as the miles have gone on. When it was below, say, 1500 miles the fuel consumption was worse.

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
Blimey, they are low figures :(

I normaly get +/- 50mpg average on my daily commute which is 35miles, of which 28 is m'way & the rest city centre.

I did a run down to Gloucester monday via M42/M5 & my average speed was 71mph & my fuel 51.4mpg.

Mine a 2003 PD150 running a Jabba remap @ 185bhp (JBS RR), milage is 109,000

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.