Real World MPG - post your figures

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
It would be useful for me, and maybe others considering a Leon if people could post details of the fuel consumption they are experiencing with different engines. The 1.4 Tsi appeals most to me, but the car will do 20k miles per year, so thinking maybe either the 1.6 or 2.0 Tdi would be a better option.

So fire away guys, all engines, mpg, normal driving conditions etc etc.

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
150 FR diesel. I don't actually do that many miles as I commute on the train to work. On the motorway with cruise control on around 65-75 mph, I will get around 60mpg. Normal mixed driving, I will get around 48mpg. Sitting in traffic around London, I will get about 38mpg. But I have had the air conditioning on pretty much since I got the car as well.

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
I have a 1.2 TSI and getting between 48-52 mpg depending on my journey I do about 50 odd miles a day. I dont drive it hard as the engines new. I find the low down torque is fine so dont rev too hard anyway.

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
1.4 Fr, I get 42 mpg on a 3 mile commute to work, normal journeys between 45-52, but have achieved 55 without really trying which blew me away. Very good engine but it will all come down to how you drive.

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
So the 1.4 is similar to the 1.2, that's interesting. And also seem quite a bit more than the VAG 1.4 122bhp engine, are they different designs?

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Yes the new 1.2 and 1.4 are new models the old 1.4 (122) is an older design now and has less power than the new 1.4 the old on is chain driven as well. I'm averaging about 40-45mpg with my 1.2 with short trips/city driving and on long trips I can get up to 56mpg.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Over 3000 miles since new and have averaged 52mpg in a 80/20/20% country road/town/motorway

Tdi 150fr not hanging around....

Andy

Last edited:

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
2 litre tdi 184 FR 5 door

Three weeks old, 750 miles on the clock and just starting to open it up a bit. I do a round trip of 22 miles commute. Dual carriage way, single carriageway A roads hitting a bit of traffic around Durham. I'm averaging about 52 mpg. On a couple of longs run taking my time it was about 56 mpg.

Really love this car.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I borrowed a 150 tdi FR SC with 100 miles on the clock a couple of weeks ago. Silly o'clock up the m40 with no traffic it did 66mpg at 60mph, 62mpg at 70mph and 58mpg at 80mph. 20 miles each. Normal mixed 'enthusiastic' driving I got 48mpg

Jun 15, 2013
1.4 TSI SE.

1700 miles so far.

Fuel computer says 50.0 mpg since we collected it from the dealer, I zero'd it on the forecourt.

Best on a trip was 56.0 mpg 260 miles to coast and back.

BUT the computer lies. Calculation using fuel bought and miles travelled indicate 46 mpg is closer to the truth thus the trip to the coast was actually nearer 52 mpg.

Even so not complaining, these are great figures for a petrol with a very good turn of speed when needed. It only 2 mpg short on my BMW 118D that it replaced (that had 3 more bhp but was nowhere as quick).

Take the price difference between petrol and diesel into account and the 2 mpg becomes less than 1 mpg.

Really impressed.

weatherlight

2000+ km (1250+ miles) with the 1.2 TSI DSG. I had a long journey for the first 1800km and changed revs between 2k and 4k for better engine break-in. Reaching 6k as past 1600 km. AC was on all the time and car was occupied with 4 passengers + our dog :) 5.6L average (50.4 mpg) on both trips (went faster exceeding 120km from time to time on the return trip).
Now for around 200km, I managed a steady 6.0L mostly city driving in moderate to heavy traffic for the last 200km. On my last regular office trip I got away with 5.5 (51.2 mpg) :) including some AC, traffic lights, traffic 2 small jams and 15-20 second idles at parking manuever & turbo cooling time.
It does get better as the engine breaks-in (estimated to about 3000+ km or 2000+ miles) and as you get used to the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
1.8tsi DSG - around 35 mpg mixed driving, so you might want to avoid this particular engine! Lots of fun though.
If it were me I'd wait for the 184 TDI DSG.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
May be worth posting up if its the reading from the car computer or if its the old fashioned way of working out ie brim fill the tank method
As for various reasons the car computer gives you a higher reading than it should

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
This is interesting,

just for a comparison, for anyone looking at the Mk3 1.4 TSi. to the Mk2 1.4TSi

My MK2 1.4 TSi, 125bhp chain driven engine gives me a return of 38 - 40 on the daily commute, which is a 14 mile round trip. I regularly see above 39 on each 7 mile leg of the journey.

the most I've had out of it is 57.8mpg on the motorway. admittedly this was at 60mph on cruise control

I have also managed to do Manchester - Edinburgh - Manchester, which is roughly a 450 mile round trip on 1 tank of fuel (15/16ths of a tank)

which is pretty god damn good for a petrol motor

weatherlight

Here is my last trip.

I cheated a little, resetting the gauge with my warmed up engine at cruise speed. However my AC was on all the time with 4 stops at traffic lights later at town in some moderate traffic. 8 km cruise at autobahn with 70-90 km/h and another 4 in town.

I had checked whether the computer was showing the right numbers or not in a long trip before and it does. At a time the computer calculations revealed a total of 35.6L fuel usage and at the gas station, I topped it up with 35.9L. Pretty close I must say.

BTW my car is 1.2L TSI DSG, not 1 1.6L diesel [B)]

s7.directupload.net/images/130818/rcg3s7hm.jpg (I could not post it, it is 3.7L/100km average on 12KM with 50km/h average in 15 mins. Roughly 76.2 MPG (Imperial)

If you want to beat the official mpg (trust me, you can), check hypermile (Search hypermile and hit wikipedia and cleanmpg). Although some are pretty wild and not recommended, with a few safe tips you can at least reach official MPG. I can only do a few of them atm (removing spare tire, easing up on gas pedal, overpressuring tires by around %5 percent etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 15, 2013
Here is my last trip.

I cheated a little, resetting the gauge with my warmed up engine at cruise speed. However my AC was on all the time with 4 stops at traffic lights later at town in some moderate traffic. 8 km cruise at autobahn with 70-90 km/h and another 4 in town.

I had checked whether the computer was showing the right numbers or not in a long trip before and it does. At a time the computer calculations revealed a total of 35.6L fuel usage and at the gas station, I topped it up with 35.9L. Pretty close I must say.

BTW my car is 1.2L TSI DSG, not 1 1.6L diesel [B)]

s7.directupload.net/images/130818/rcg3s7hm.jpg (I could not post it, it is 3.7L/100km average on 12KM with 50km/h average in 15 mins. Roughly 76.2 MPG (Imperial)

If you want to beat the official mpg (trust me, you can), check hypermile (Search hypermile and hit wikipedia and cleanmpg). Although some are pretty wild and not recommended, with a few safe tips you can at least reach official MPG. I can only do a few of them atm (removing spare tire, easing up on gas pedal, overpressuring tires by around %5 percent etc)

Totally irrelevant, anyone can pick a nice quiet piece of multi carriageway road do 40 - 50 mph with an already warm engine and watch the dash report incredible figures.If you carefully pick a downhill section and arrange for a following wind it will be even better.

But that is not what this thread was started for, the OP wanted members to report the sort of mpg figures they are getting in normal use in a decent mileage.

As well as removing all the excess kit, pumping up the tyres to bursting point and driving like a vicar why don't you tape all the body joints and block the radiator grille. the figures will be even better.

weatherlight

Well I did not drive downhill nor went close behind some truck. Tire pressures were 35 psi front, 36 rear. I did not tape / remove any parts except spare wheel. I had original factory oil closer to max, fuelsave 95 octane gas and factory, standart rolling resistance tires. My AC was even ON the whole time, it was 29 degrees celcius outside. Don't know about the wind, however 1/3 or my drive was at low speeds in town.

All I'm saying is reaching and even beating official MPG values during daily driving is quite possible. I just don't understand why people accept that they can only come close to with %10-20 percent less of official MPG. With all the advanced technies some people beat official MPG by more than 30 percent over very long distances (Google Gerhard Plattner). You don't have to use most of them, just carefull driving and tire maintenance can get you official MPG. As long as you dont do dangerous stuff like cornering at very high speeds in order not to brake or shut off the engine when going down hills, by consuming less fuel and encouraging others to consume less fuel, you actually help yourselfs and the environment.

NEDC tests (official 4km urban, 7km extra urban test) have lots of stop, idle and go siturations. If you pick a route with less congestion and stops, you will consume less. Be aware of your surroundings. If a light in distance goes red, dont continue at constant gas / speed then come to a full stop. Instead lift your foot off accelerator, slow down and the light may turn green before you reach it.
If you frequently drive very short distances (less than a mile or two) your overall MPG will decrease a lot, so try to walk if you can.
If you run on under inflated tires, your mpg will decrease, try to at least add 2-3 psi to what is recommended to account for slight losses and changes due to temp.
Speeding up before a hill and maintaining constant gas pedal (decresing speed at hill) will consume less compared to fixed speed flat and hill climbing.
Ease up on gas pedal. Flooring it will consume more gas to get to same speed compared to gentle acceleration.
Getting yourself some low rolling resistance tires also helps (LEON is rougly 70KG lighter than the equilavent Golf. Ever wonder why they have the same performance and consumption when Golf is heavier? It comes with low rolling resistance tires from factory which reduce overall consumption by 3-4% ).

Anyway, eco driving is probably another topic so I will just sum up. You can reach official MPG figures with your LEON during daily driving and those figures are at the top of this class. Just maintain your car and adapt a carefull driving style.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.