Really fed up with Suspension on my TDI 130 Sport

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Subject says it all..

I have owned the car since May and the suspension has ground me down, finally totally fed up with the bangs, knocks and thuds as I drive down pretty good roads.
When I drive down bumpy roads with the odd pot hole etc, it is unbearable !!

Had it checked out twice now, once at the MOT and once since, and it would appear that other than a rusting flange on the front roll bar everything is fine. There are no broken springs, overly worn bushes etc.

Most of the anoyance is actually coming from the rear, although the front isn't much better!!

So, what can I do to improve it, all I am after is a quiet smooth ride down normal roads ?
I am not interested in lowering or anything like that, I just want to improve on the standard suspension and make the thing bearable to actually drive.

Do any of you other Mk4 drivers suffer from similar suspension issues?

Having said that I actually love the car, goes well, handles well stops well etc, but I have to say the anoying knocky suspension has finally got to me.

I would be interested to hear what you guy's think ?

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Oversprung & under damped.

Typical SEAT suspension that just gets worse over time.

Best bet would be to get new dampers (Monroe etc) and either keep your OE springs, or as suggested from the better riding Fabia vRS

Don't get coilovers. They're stiffer, but have (sometimes) better dampers.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Oversprung & under damped.

Typical SEAT suspension that just gets worse over time.

Best bet would be to get new dampers (Monroe etc) and either keep your OE springs, or as suggested from the better riding Fabia vRS

Don't get coilovers. They're stiffer, but have (sometimes) better dampers.

Totally agree With Mork.

What mileage is on the original suspension? What size alloys are on the vehicle?

I have brand new stock (FR) suspension ready to go onto my Cupra TDI in a weeks time for the same reason. My hard stock suspension has deteriorated, and it's now doing my head in now.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
What mileage is on the original suspension? What size alloys are on the vehicle?

I have brand new stock (FR) suspension ready to go onto my Cupra TDI in a weeks time for the same reason. My hard stock suspension has deteriorated, and it's now doing my head in now.

Thanks for the advice guy's..

My car is a 54 plate with 62k miles on it, so I would say below average mileage, and as far as I know, everything is standard fit.

It is fitted with the standard 16" (I think they are) Seat alloys with standard 205/45 tyres.

At first it was a novelty having a stiff sporty motor, but now like Bondiblu says "It is doing my head in" !!

I actually am getting to hate it, in fact on many journeys I now choose to borrow the missus CMAX as I just hate the ride and knocks and thumps in the Ibiza.

So sounds like it is all about springs and damper then, anything else that can play a part?

Any recommendations would be greatfully received, something has to be done or else the Ibiza will have to go, as can't own a motor which I detest driving so much.

Like I said earlier, really do like the car for other reasons, well built, loads of grunt etc, but not a lot of good if I choose to leave it on the drive and take the bus !!

Sounds like springs and dampers then, nothing fancy, just something which will allow me to drive and enjoy the Ibiza and not bust the bank.

Anyone have any idea of part number, prices, ease of fit etc ?

Thanks alot guy's, help is really appreciated.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2007
Derby
Iv been driving my car round with coilovers on for so long I can't remember what the standared sports ride is like.but my coilovers are warn out so got some new ones goin on on Monday should make an improvement.

Also you thought of goin a bigger profile on tyres might make it smoother

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
When I was running my Fr 17s with 205/40/17s avon tyres it was so loud and ride felt rubbish

Iv got some 205/45/16s on now with hankooks on its a he'll of aloud quieter nicer drive to

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
another vote for bigger profile tyres,i have 205/50/16s instead of the standard 205/45/16s on my winter wheels, doesn't sound a lot but makes a big difference. also makes the speedo read spot on :)

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
another vote for bigger profile tyres,i have 205/50/16s instead of the standard 205/45/16s on my winter wheels, doesn't sound a lot but makes a big difference. also makes the speedo read spot on :)

True, speedo against satnav is spot in on mine too ; )

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Worst thing about the car is the suspension imo. I have to agree with what has been said above. I find it difficult to believe that a modern car can have such bad ride quality - I've never been in or heard of another car as bad! I've looked into Koni FSD shocks for my car but they don't allow you to lower the car. Apparently these are THE best solution for good ride and good handling. Maybe you should have a look at these?

Dec 3, 2009
just don't go 100mph over speed bumps?

I don't think I go 10mph, people always nearly crash into me, makes it fun!
I know all the pot holes so avoid them, job done, easy

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
just don't go 100mph over speed bumps?

I don't think I go 10mph, people always nearly crash into me, makes it fun!
I know all the pot holes so avoid them, job done, easy

not only pot holes upset it though. Even joint strips on bridges and patch repairs on the roads (where potholes have been for example) are a problem and cause loud banging into the cabin.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
not only pot holes upset it though. Even joint strips on bridges and patch repairs on the roads (where potholes have been for example) are a problem and cause loud banging into the cabin.

Snap !!

Even a small ripple in the road or a faily flat man hole causes major thumping and knocking..

Can't be right, not right at all.

My dad has a similar aged Polo, that is so much better..

Horrible suspension on the Ibiza Sport, really fed up with it now !!

John11367

May 20, 2005
I have a cupra tdi so I know this problem all too well, the ride on it is an absolute disaster. It and the road noise are the only two things I can fault on the car.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Snap !!

Even a small ripple in the road or a faily flat man hole causes major thumping and knocking..

Can't be right, not right at all.

My dad has a similar aged Polo, that is so much better..

Horrible suspension on the Ibiza Sport, really fed up with it now !!

It's not the firmness of the suspension that bothers me tbh - it's the overly firm dampers that cause the crashing and banging. The suspension is so under damped it caused the interior plastics to creak when you go over bumps - very annoying!!!

I have a cupra tdi so I know this problem all too well, the ride on it is an absolute disaster. It and the road noise are the only two things I can fault on the car.

I've fitted mine with lots of sound deadening. It has worked very well. Still no merc though lol....

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I got coilovers so at least it puts a smile on my face when you find some bends or a roundabout :)

Is that through the extra vibrations shaking your face ;)

Someone suggested FSD's - if you can stump the £400 or so compared to about £250 or so for 'new' OE type - do it. They're great dampers that do sporty, and comfortable.

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
Is that through the extra vibrations shaking your face ;)

Someone suggested FSD's - if you can stump the £400 or so compared to about £250 or so for 'new' OE type - do it. They're great dampers that do sporty, and comfortable.

I did have to get my first filling about a week after getting coilovers when half my tooth randomly fell out while driving :whistle: