Really fed up with Suspension on my TDI 130 Sport

John11367

May 20, 2005
In all fairness my mate had an a3 s line and it was stupidly firm as well, albeit maybe not as crashy

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I have been looking, but I've pushed so much money, time and attention into my Cupra that I'm finding it hard to cut the umbilical cord lol.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I'm with you on that. I thought about getting rid of mine but I'd only do the same stuff to another car

Exactly, and it's not the cheapest hobby in the world either. If Im still not happy with the suspension in a few months time, then I think its time to get something with the new CR engine and start again. Someone will end up owning a cracking example of a Cupra.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Exactly, and it's not the cheapest hobby in the world either. If Im still not happy with the suspension in a few months time, then I think its time to get something with the new CR engine and start again. Someone will end up owning a cracking example of a Cupra.

Ewww CR engine. They're all quiet and refined. Who would want that :lol:

Ferg

I completely agree on the suspension front. My Sport seems to share all of the negatives of tight, firm sporty suspension with none of the benefits. If the car handled reasonably I'd be quite happy but it just wallows about.

Will be good to hear how everyone gets on with their changes.

Also, are the FR and Cupra a big step up in handling stakes in comparison to the Sport? I expected a lot more from my car and am a bit disappointed.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
I completely agree on the suspension front. My Sport seems to share all of the negatives of tight, firm sporty suspension with none of the benefits. If the car handled reasonably I'd be quite happy but it just wallows about.

Will be good to hear how everyone gets on with their changes.

Also, are the FR and Cupra a big step up in handling stakes in comparison to the Sport? I expected a lot more from my car and am a bit disappointed.

I've had a formula sport model which uses 'sport' suspension. I would say the handling is just the same as my fr. The fr's suspension is much worse dealing with poor roads though. Part of the problem with the ibiza is that there is little to none sound deadening/proofing which means that even tiny bumps thud straight into the cabin. I plan to try to reduce this in the near future :)

I've got a clio courtesy car just now and the suspension on that is a delight! Supple and good handling.

Went over the smallest speed bumps today at <5 mph.
I thought it was going to take off at first, until it came back down, at which point, I thought the suspension was going to snap. Then the same happened a fraction of a second later when the rear wheels went over too, haha.

Yeah, it's terrible compared to my mates '05 206 pug, which goes over it as if the speed bump wasn't even there! :p
But we both agree, Ibiza > 206.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Right then,

Just spent 500 quid on the front Suspension on my TDI..

Nothing fancy, no new shocks or springs or anything, just a front ARB, bushes, Drop links and Cupra Wishbone bushes, a four wheel alignment and a great heap of labour.

I have to say it has improved things quite considersbly, still stiff but no where near as much crashing and thuding from the front ent.

The car feels a lot more sorted and responsive and drives like a little Go Kart !!

My thanks to David at Sere for the pile of bits and to Inde-Tech for fitting them.

Still considering doing something with the springs and shocks to see if I can improve the ride though.

Lets see if my love for the little car now returns ?

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
I've just sold mine - will be leaving tomorrow afternoon! It's a really good car if you can put up with the hard ride and general cabin noise, just not for me tbh.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
I've just sold mine - will be leaving tomorrow afternoon! It's a really good car if you can put up with the hard ride and general cabin noise, just not for me tbh.

Believe me, I considered it to...

Ride is truely awful isn't it, but I have to say the work I have had done has really helped.

Still not totally happy, as like I said above, still considering springs and shocks, but the jury is out on what to buy to improve the ride.
Not a boy racer so not into lowering or anything like that, I just want to improve the standard ride.

So rf860, what have you replaced it with ?

Last edited:

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007

Ride is truely awful isn't it, but I have to say the work I have had done has really helped.

Still not totally happy, as like I said above, still considering springs and shocks, but the jury is out on what to buy to improve the ride.
Not a boy racer so not into lowering or anything like that, I just want to improve the standard ride.

increase the profile of your tyres,that improved my ride by 50%.

Ive got a full set of skoda vrs suspension to fit soon,meant to be a better ride but maybe too soft in the bends,cost £40 and fitting it myself so worth a try,can always swap it back for the price of a few more locknuts :)

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland

It is, my ears can't cope with it lol! I've owned mine from low miles and now has 40k on it and its no different - still very underdamped. I just can't be bothered with the hassle of changing suspension that will no doubt be expensive to be left unsatisfied still, so i'm moving on...

For the moment, the no.22 bus and the train lol! Not bought anything yet, but this time i'm not rushing into anything and make sure i can live with the car first