Rear Axle Bent

chumsofmanutd

Jun 23, 2008
Staffordshire
Just taken car to be tracked today as I noticed some uneven wear on the rear tyres. Unfortunately I've found out that the rear axle has bent so needs a new axle:( Previous owner must of curbed it pretty badly. Just wondering if anyone else has done this sort of job before/ knows the sort of price I'll be looking at for a replacement and where to get one from. Thanks. Rob.

Daymo

Low and Slow..
Jul 22, 2008
Scarborough/Sheffield
i'd try and get a rear axle off a broken up cupra cos then you can have rear discs aswell :) might be worth the effort if it works out cheaper, and you'll have better braking

chumsofmanutd

Jun 23, 2008
Staffordshire
Not a bad idea actually. I was wondering about trying to repair the one I've got though for the cheaper option. Has anybody ever tried shimming one? Rob

Daymo

Low and Slow..
Jul 22, 2008
Scarborough/Sheffield
if its already bent though and you try and straighten it again, this will cause a weakness in the metal, so the next time it goes it might not just bend but snap instead, i know i'd rather buy a new axle than reheat one, could cost you your life if it snaps while driving!!!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i'd try and get a rear axle off a broken up cupra cos then you can have rear discs aswell :) might be worth the effort if it works out cheaper, and you'll have better braking

just make sure the master cyl adn pressure regulators and cables all match up correctly too or you'll end up with great rear brakes going backwards down the road

Cuprajohn

The Cupra Kidd
Feb 24, 2007
Isle of Lewis
get the stub axle shimmed to stop the wear. save fitting a new axle, the read out will tell you how far out the tracking is. any good machine shop will be able to make shims for it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members