Rear boot light not working

mikeyg_uk

Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008
Brighton
Hi folks

I recently fixed two leaks I had going to my rear wiper spray assembly, one of which was in the boot, and the other over my rear wheel arch.

With the leaks now fixed, I now find the boot lights isn't working, which unsurprisingly is located right near the leak over my rear wheel arch.

Ive tried the bulb, it's not that... I thought perhaps a fuse but not been able to double check this yet, although I would have thought other things would not be working as the fuse relays are normally linked to mora than one function.

If it's not these, do you know what else it could be? I was thinking could the boot switch (wherever it is) be at fault?

Any ideas greatly appreciated?

Thanks

Mike

Ibiza 09

is there a chance that there might be water in the electrics for the boot light.

mikeyg_uk

Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008
Brighton
ive checked the fuses, it's definitely not that... Coincidentaly from the cold weather in january i did have a leaky rear boot waher pipe connection and leak from the connection over the wheel arch (right above where the boot light is). Perhaps this could have corroded a connection somewhere?

Is the switch for the boot light connected to the boot lock, or is it located somewhere else?

mikeholroyd

Exactly this happened on my Octavia.

Washer fluid had leaked from the pipe coming off the washer nozzle, and had drained down through the hatchback, and dripped out of the lock. The fluid had corroded the electrics in the lock, and on mine, goosed the central locking AND the boot light circuits.

It cost me a new lock to sort the problem out

Mike

PS Skoda now supply metal clips to go over and permanently secure the washer pipe joints that tend to pop apart and leak. These joints, of course, being inside the hatch lid, and behind the quarter panel trim.

Will try to get part number -- other VAG brands will no doubt offer the same clips as well.

mikeyg_uk

Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008
Brighton
Thanks mike, the central locking still functions correctly but at the moment the alarm doesn't include if the boots open.. It's really annoying that such a simple thing can go wrong on what's been an enjoyable car!

mikeholroyd

Thanks mike, the central locking still functions correctly but at the moment the alarm doesn't include if the boots open.. It's really annoying that such a simple thing can go wrong on what's been an enjoyable car!

It's not just on the Leon -- it's a known problem across the whole VAG board -- Octavia, Fabia, A3, Golf, Passat, Leon, Ibiza -- and the list goes on and on.

Mike

mikeyg_uk

Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2008
Brighton
Which part of the lock is it? is it the boot lock in the boot lid itself or the boot catch? I've not investigated it yet as I'm summoning up the energy to take it all apart AGAIN!!

DJ-LIAMC

VAGisclean
May 31, 2009
Loughborough
I also got the boot light not working problem, but the light on the dash indicating that the boot is open works, tried new bulbs but still nothing will have to take it apart as my back washer doesnt work (leaks) so im gussing its because of that.

hombre_paulo

Jan 12, 2013
Bump - mine isnt working tried a new bulb, nothing. The terminals are seeing 9v, is this too little to get the bulb going if its an led one?

Last edited:

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
Old thread revival. My boot light doesn't work. And no light on the dash when the boot is open

Ideas for me to check?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.