rear brakes advice

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
as my rear brake discs are corroded, im going to change the discs and pads. do i need to change anything else?
the second part of my query is to do with brands. from what ive read online, the brake pad quality is more important than the brake disc. so i was thinking of buying the cheapest brake disc, e.g. this eicher one which is £5 cheaper than the next one up.

for pads i have multiple choices. these eicher pads for £19.41, pagid for £22.83 , bosch £25.71 and brembo for £26.94

should i get the brembo pads and the eicher discs, or should i get both a decent disc and decent pads? are brembos overkill? help! :stars:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My choice from ECP range of brands, rightly or wrongly is Pagid discs and Pagid pads - and make sure that you keep an eye on the offers as some are slightly better than others.

You have just missed a Valentine's special, the best offers seem to come at "black Friday" events, and if you register with ECP for accepting emailing bumf, then you might just notice a "day" special event on single group of items, like brakes - so far I've not been able or needed to take advantage of these short offers.

On the question of "what else?" - I'd add a spray can or 2 of brake cleaner and maybe even something to lubricate any "metal to metal" contact points, typically copper grease - have you shopped with ECP already, if so or not, do you know that the online prices are just that, it is best to always order online for free delivery or reserve for collection and payment at a convenient branch.

Reactions: kanyewest

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
or order from car parts 4 less which is often a touch cheaper.

I'd go for Pagid pads and Brembo discs, pagid discs are probably alrite, but Brembo pads are rubbish.
Have you got a brake caliper re-wind tool for the job?

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
My choice from ECP range of brands, rightly or wrongly is Pagid discs and Pagid pads - and make sure that you keep an eye on the offers as some are slightly better than others.

You have just missed a Valentine's special, the best offers seem to come at "black Friday" events, and if you register with ECP for accepting emailing bumf, then you might just notice a "day" special event on single group of items, like brakes - so far I've not been able or needed to take advantage of these short offers.

On the question of "what else?" - I'd add a spray can or 2 of brake cleaner and maybe even something to lubricate any "metal to metal" contact points, typically copper grease - have you shopped with ECP already, if so or not, do you know that the online prices are just that, it is best to always order online for free delivery or reserve for collection and payment at a convenient branch.
I think ill get pagids for both then mate. i thought brembo might be overkill since im not racing or anything

the carb cleaner I got for the last job was purchasing using the valentines offer, but I didn’t think to use it for pads/discs as well. ecp have offers running regularly so im sure I wont be waiting too long for the next one

edit:

or order from car parts 4 less which is often a touch cheaper.

I'd go for Pagid pads and Brembo discs, pagid discs are probably alrite, but Brembo pads are rubbish.

Have you got a brake caliper re-wind tool for the job?

in that case pagid pads and brembo discs!

the caliper rewind tool, brake cleaner and copper grease should be in my relatives tool shed. hes a mechanic so im hoping to get him to do it because I feel like my wheel will fall off on the motorway if I do it myself

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
@R3k1355 @RUM4MO

just wanted to ask you guys one last thing since ECP have a 50% sale on

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...7d054bd06aa9582312deb1f4e633722e766565&000036

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...2b918e24ca218c9221b800b7ecef7aded0fb1b&000036

one of these sets of pads comes with a cable of some sort and the cheaper one doesnt. should i be buying that one? not even sure what that part is

EDIT: i found out it is the wear indicator (is that right?) ill check my manual to see if i need that

Last edited:

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
I put a set of rear discs and pads in my basket, ready to purchase next week just before the current offer ends

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
@R3k1355 @RUM4MO

just wanted to ask you guys one last thing since ECP have a 50% sale on

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...7d054bd06aa9582312deb1f4e633722e766565&000036

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...2b918e24ca218c9221b800b7ecef7aded0fb1b&000036

one of these sets of pads comes with a cable of some sort and the cheaper one doesnt. should i be buying that one? not even sure what that part is

EDIT: i found out it is the wear indicator (is that right?) ill check my manual to see if i need that
The cable will be for pad wear sensor

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
The cable will be for pad wear sensor

just found out as your reply came through :)
i'll check my manual when i leave the house, but do you have any idea whether thats the one for my car or not? or is it the case that its compatible but not necessary? if so ill just buy the one with the wear indicator

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
just found out as your reply came through :)
i'll check my manual when i leave the house, but do you have any idea whether thats the one for my car or not? or is it the case that its compatible but not necessary? if so ill just buy the one with the wear indicator
Best off using the online chat feature on the ecp website to determine which items are for your car. I have bought parts in the past from them by putting in my reg number, only to find they are the wrong ones as sometimes two slightly different parts are used on the same year of manufacture

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
he told me to find out which one my car needs so i’ll check my manual or see if anyone else on here can offer advice. nice one mate

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Without re-reading this thread from end to end, I'm not sure if you have said what the age, engine is in your car, but for the rear brakes only one size of discs and pads are used, and SEAT probably don't bother with supplying brake pad wear indicators to the Ibiza, I've just checked the front pads that I bought during a special special discount for my daughter's late 2009 6J 1.4 SC and they do not have wear indicators.

Now if you want to cover all eventualities then by all means buy the pads with a wear sensor on one pad, if you don't need it just cut it off where the wire comes out of the single pad that has it fitted.

Edit:- look under the car, if it has brake wear system then one rear wheel will have a lead appearing out and passing through a rubber grommet which is located in the bracket for the handbrake cable/handbrake lever on the rear caliper, I've forgotten which side though as only one front brake and only one rear brake has a wear sensor fitted.

Last edited:

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Without re-reading this thread from end to end, I'm not sure if you have said what the age, engine is in your car, but for the rear brakes only one size of discs and pads are used, and SEAT probably don't bother with supplying brake pad wear indicators to the Ibiza, I've just checked the front pads that I bought during a special special discount for my daughter's late 2009 6J 1.4 SC and they do not have wear indicators.

Now if you want to cover all eventualities then by all means buy the pads with a wear sensor on one pad, if you don't need it just cut it off where the wire comes out of the single pad that has it fitted.

Edit:- look under the car, if it has brake wear system then one rear wheel will have a lead appearing out and passing through a rubber grommet which is located in the bracket for the handbrake cable/handbrake lever on the rear caliper, I've forgotten which side though as only one front brake and only one rear brake has a wear sensor fitted.

1.4 petrol BBZ, and it’s from 2008

ill take a look under the car later, i did check the manual but it doesn’t mention anything about it

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW

2b367a44e97e00f581667154dda8e9d1.jpg

so had a look and looks like there’s a cable there, so i need the wear indicator- just wanna double check i’m looking at the right cable and not the handbrake cable

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I even think you don’t need to take your calliper carrier off to take the disc out as like the rears on the leon and mk5 golfs you just undo the screw holding the disc to the hub and bring the opposite side off the disc to the carrier out towards you then move the whole disc towards the front off the car to bring it out off the carrier and the disc is free from the car and do the opposite to put the new disc on easy and quicker just a little garage tip there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I seem to remember taking the carrier of my wife's 2002 Polo 9N and my 2000 Passat 4Motion, though maybe it was possible without doing that.

Getting the old and worn down discs out is easy enough with the carriers on, but I think that I did not want to need to force hammer in the new disc.

If you do end up needing to remove the carriers, buy new bolts as the old ones will be very corroded and the serrated inner surface of the heads will have been smoothed off by removing these bolts.

Workshops might get away with leaving the carriers on, but if you are working on your own brakes you might want to do things the best way for the new parts and the end job?

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I seem to remember taking the carrier of my wife's 2002 Polo 9N and my 2000 Passat 4Motion, though maybe it was possible without doing that.

Getting the old and worn down discs out is easy enough with the carriers on, but I think that I did not want to need to force hammer in the new disc.

If you do end up needing to remove the carriers, buy new bolts as the old ones will be very corroded and the serrated inner surface of the heads will have been smoothed off by removing these bolts.

Workshops might get away with leaving the carriers on, but if you are working on your own brakes you might want to do things the best way for the new parts and the end job?
i agree, thats good advice that hopefully wont be too expensive. are carriers universal?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members