Rear brakes sticking

Bowks

I've done a quick search and can't find anything but has anyone solved this problem before?

If i leave my LCR with the handbrake on for a day or two then move away, my rear brakes seemed to have seized and the weight of the car releases them.

I've been told they need lubricating, but what do i use and where do i lubricate?

Has anyone had this problem before?

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
ive got this problem of late MY03 cupra
if i leave the car for 3/4 days without moving when i come to set off again it goes with a loud clunk, over xmas when i left it for 5 days i took handbrake off and actually had to give the car some oooomf to get it to move.

In for service tomorrow so ill try and mention this to them see what they say

warren_cox

Back from the dead
nature of the beast I'm afraid. My car was washed the other day - put it in the garage on the 24th didn't get it out until the 27th. Rear brakes stuck solid.

Catch 22, if you dont put handbrake on hard enough they roll off into something, if you put it on in anger it lock on in the wet!!! The rears don't work that hard on our cars so sometime refacing the pads can help (or new rear pads). Dealer said they dont copper grease pads from factory these days so do that too.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
wash the car and leave it overnight and the pads rust to the disks... damp weather, salty roads.. all conspire to corrode things together... modern pads are high metal content compared to the asbestos days.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
My cars don't stick................but they have started to do the squeeky thing in reverse now!!

Bl00dy pain the ar$e!! :censored:

Charlie Br0wn

I have the same problems, but also had th issue with the Mk IV Golf I had before this. You could always leave it with the handbrake off and in gear? I just accept it, as it never did my Golf any harm, although it is agrovating i know

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
my celica gt-four used to do it as well.
It doesnt bother me as such, buts just painful when you hear a loud crack as you go off

Charlie Br0wn

I left my car for about a week in the garage with the handbrake off (but obviously in gear) and i still had the issue of sticking when i pulled away. Does this mean that my pads are rubbing, or is it not the breaks that are causing the clunks?

Cheers