Rear Brakes

Ale

Sep 11, 2018
Afternoon, first post so go easy on me please! :clap:
Im driving a 2012 1.6 tdi, leon, must say I love the car. Bought it in January, had no probs!
Anyway, decided to service it, did all the filters, oil etc, and thought id do all the brake pads while im at it. Front ones went in real easy, then did rears, used a rewind tool, seemed to go fine. (had the brake fluid cap off) Put everything back together, all good. Ever since though seems that that brakes are just dragging on the rear driver wheel, wheel gets quite warm, definitely warmer the the passenger rear. I loosened the handbrake cable, quite allot, I can easily move it around with one finger when its off. Have I damaged the piston? or think somethings sticking? The car will roll on an incline, just not quite as easy as it should I think.
Many thanks for any ideas you have.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi and welcome. Hmm, sounds like you did everything correctly. Not sure on that specific model, but when you put it back together, did you clean and silicone lube the slider pins?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Yeah it's common for the guide pins to get stiff on the rear calipers. It's advisable to check them when doing rear brake jobs.

You can either clean and re-grease the existing ones as said or there are kits available cheaply that include new guide pins and grease.

Ale

Sep 11, 2018
Thank you. If I'm honest I don't remember if I did or not. I'll take it all apart and redo, with extra grease. Do you know how loose the handbrake should be? I loosened the nut so there's about 1/4" remaining.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, the worshop manual says 4-7 clicks for it to be fully applied, if that helps!?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
"With the handbrake fully released, slacken the adjuster nut until both the rear caliper handbrake levers are back against their stops".
"Tighten the nuts until both handbrake levers just move off the caliper stops. Ensure the gap between each caliper handbrake lever and it's stop is between 1.0 and 1.5mm and that both right and left gaps are equal".

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Did you ensure you wound both calipers back fully before fitting the pads??

Had similar problems in my old Ibiza and think it was just cos I was a touch lazy doing one side.

Ale

Sep 11, 2018
I checked this morning, mine does 4clicks, and that's pushing it hard, think I need to slacken it off a bit more? As for the rear calipers, I didnt rewind them fully, I rewound then until the new pads would comfortably fit in, the disc isn't it bad shape. Do you need to put them all the way back in? Or just enough to get everything back together?

Thank you

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Just to add, when I do brakes, I clean the sliders and pull the piston boot back and give that a good brake clean / microfiber as well.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.