Rear bumper question

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Confusing myself on this one although that's nothing new.

Looking to change my rear bumper to be able to house either 2 single exhaust pipes (one left and one on the right) or to have quad pipes - think that may be overkill so perhaps just the 2.

Considering my current bumper it wouldn't be ideal to have a new hole cut out...

So that leaves me with the choice of getting a 2nd hand bumper and re spraying it. As far as I'm aware the majority of mk 3 leon bumpers should fit? For example the grey bumper screenshot - it doesn't seem to have the trim underneath but I'm unsure if it is 100% necessary if I want to fit a rear diffuser I.e a maxton one?

Can only say I've looked into it while I'm sat at the airport so I can't imagine I'm making this easy for myself. If anyone could make this abit easier for me that would be appreciated :cheers:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190625_011053_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190625_011053_com.android.chrome.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 325

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Howdy!

I guess the first question is, is it for a pre-facelift a facelift Leon? :)

I'm told by @Damo H that on the facelift version, the rear bumpers are the same on the Cupra and FR, it's just the diffuser that's different. (I'll edit this comment if we are proven to be incorrect haha).

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yeah, pre-face lift FR VS Cupra bumpers are different as the FR had no diffuser. However face lift should be the same.

I suspect to reduce costs the face lift FR and Cupra bumpers where made the same, with just the different diffuser.

If I'm honest, I personally think you should opt for the Aero bumper. Its by far the best rear end for the Leon. If they'd of done for the ST, I'd of swapped my Cupra bumper for it. No horrible plastic. Sadly its not cheap...

5F0071606A.jpg

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Howdy!

I guess the first question is, is it for a pre-facelift a facelift Leon? :)

I'm told by @Damo H that on the facelift version, the rear bumpers are the same on the Cupra and FR, it's just the diffuser that's different. (I'll edit this comment if we are proven to be incorrect haha).

Since it's a 64 plate I can only assume it's a pre facelift

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Yeah, pre-face lift FR VS Cupra bumpers are different as the FR had no diffuser. However face lift should be the same.

I suspect to reduce costs the face lift FR and Cupra bumpers where made the same, with just the different diffuser.

If I'm honest, I personally think you should opt for the Aero bumper. Its by far the best rear end for the Leon. If they'd of done for the ST, I'd of swapped my Cupra bumper for it. No horrible plastic. Sadly its not cheap...

5F0071606A.jpg

I have to agree with you on that, that is probably the best look I could get but not willing to spend that much haha

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Since it's a 64 plate I can only assume it's a pre facelift
Best to double check then. I'm not 100% sure if the pre face lift and post face lift bumpers are interchangeable. At first glace they certainly appear so. Easiest way is to check the part number on that rear aero bumper and see if its the same for pre and post face lift. If it is you know standard bumpers are good too.

I remember with the mark 2, the front bumpers looked swap able, but there were subtle differences in the shape of the lights.

Reactions: Oliver Pawley

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Best to double check then. I'm not 100% sure if the pre face lift and post face lift bumpers are interchangeable. At first glace they certainly appear so. Easiest way is to check the part number on that rear aero bumper and see if its the same for pre and post face lift. If it is you know standard bumpers are good too.

I remember with the mark 2, the front bumpers looked swap able, but there were subtle differences in the shape of the lights.
I think I've got the majority worked out now...

Last question hopefully, I know this bumper would fit but I'm assuming there's meant to be some trim here? Everyone I've seen all have the gap, if so what is it called?
e85df176c1047ed6598b9e9817dffdd4.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I think I've got the majority worked out now...

Last question hopefully, I know this bumper would fit but I'm assuming there's meant to be some trim here? Everyone I've seen all have the gap, if so what is it called?
e85df176c1047ed6598b9e9817dffdd4.jpg

Usually referred to us as a diffuser, not sure what the parts catalogue calls it, probably rear bumper trim B or something equally boring.

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Usually referred to us as a diffuser, not sure what the parts catalogue calls it, probably rear bumper trim B or something equally boring.
Thank you Damo one last thing... I'll assume that I'd have to get this and then another diffuser Iike maxton for example or would that replace one of these?

I really do appreciate your help
0a2fffe8422a20a15bd51914ac9d4916.jpg

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thank you Damo one last thing... I'll assume that I'd have to get this and then another diffuser Iike maxton for example or would that replace one of these?

I really do appreciate your help
0a2fffe8422a20a15bd51914ac9d4916.jpg

I believe the new Maxton diffuser for facelift, replaces the standard one. However their instructions are naff so say it goes over the top.

Last edited:

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Went to seat and they said they wouldn't know..

Considering the aero kit is suitable for these models..

I'll assume this bumper should fit?
ac58b7b1255849ac79ce22851916ba2a.jpg
c5379f096f881148ba37568d56fa0dff.jpg

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Went to seat and they said they wouldn't know..

Considering the aero kit is suitable for these models..

I'll assume this bumper should fit?
ac58b7b1255849ac79ce22851916ba2a.jpg
c5379f096f881148ba37568d56fa0dff.jpg

I’d assume so, but the part numbers may still be different. There are different options on the aero bumper for single exhaust or dual. So there is at least 2 part numbers.

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
I’d assume so, but the part numbers may still be different. There are different options on the aero bumper for single exhaust or dual. So there is at least 2 part numbers.
Hmm true. The dual exhaust adds on a couple hundred pounds.. Maybe comes with back box?

Anyway reading the reviews for that website and they aren't great so that option is out of the window

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
I agree re magnatuning I was trying to get a body kit and have to say the level of support was very poor and went elsewhere instead.
I think I'll just give up and keep my current exhaust... Too much hassle

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hmm true. The dual exhaust adds on a couple hundred pounds.. Maybe comes with back box?

Anyway reading the reviews for that website and they aren't great so that option is out of the window

No, IIRC the exhaust is £500, and it’s just a back box, the cut the standard exhaust somewhere between the res and original back box and just slip it on.

Dual exit should be easy for you, just need the right diffuser. Reigar do one that’s duel exit. You’d of course have to cut the original bumper where the extra exit is, but that will be hidden by the diffuser anyway.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Gloss black version...

https://www.rieger-tuning.biz/article/00088089+18632259

And Carbon look...

https://www.rieger-tuning.biz/article/00099186+18632190

Personally think the normal unpainted black plastic would look best unless you get your rear bumper insert painted too. Painting the insert body colour looks best IMO, but a lot paint them black as think body colour makes it look less than an FR/Cupra.

View attachment 8091
Wow thanks, didn't expect that much information
obviously with that picture it fits into the insert, since I don't have an insert I guess it's bolted on by looking at the images.