Rear Caliper Release Springs

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
Now I dare say this has been discussed before, but I have actually gone a head ànd done it, so this is a little guide to how, what, why & results:

Put simply this is the perfect mod for people that have had the infamous sticking rear calipers on the Ibiza FR, Fabia Etc, with the calipers sticking the usual result is that the handbrake doesn't release fully, so you will experience a variety of different symptoms. Mine was blocking tyres, hot rear brakes, increased wear on brakes ànd a slack handbrake.

Thr calipers fitted to the Ibiza ànd fabia dont come with the helper springs as standard, they have to be ordered from VW, just ask for the release springs for the 2002 VW Sharan they work out at £3 each.

When fitting you,'ll need to make sure that you fit them the correct way round otherwise it will have the opposite effect. The correct way is like so:

y8asa4er.jpg

eta9u8yb.jpg

As you see the 2 prongs of the springs are matchingthe shape of the caliper. If you look closely at the picture you can make out the 2 holes where these slide into.

Now this is fitted when the spring is released (once the handbrake is taken off) thr spring is then applying pressure on the 2 parts of the caliper, moving them further apart, ànd moving the caliper away from the disc.

Since doing this I have found that all of the symptoms I described above have near enough cleared up, when taking the handbrake off it snaps down which is nice as it means I know the springs are doing their jobs. I have also noticed the brakes have a touch more bite to them now the calipers have re adjusted

All in all for the sake of 30mins rolling on the floor, ànd £6 you need to try this first before replacing the caliper as it might just save you a fortune!

Tapatalk on Xperia S

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Good mod, I've recently started developing these symptoms and was going to give the rear calipers a good clean and grease, might give this a shot first :)

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
Good mod, I've recently started developing these symptoms and was going to give the rear calipers a good clean and grease, might give this a shot first :)

Personally I would do the 2 together never hurts to give the brakes a bitnof a spruce up lol, before I fitted these, about 2 months prior I had the rear brakes serviced, wire brushed etc, but about a month later same symptoms, these so far *touchwood have improved things much more than the clean down did

Tapatalk on Xperia S

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
had these fitted for a while and they do a great job,easy to fit even without removing the wheel but as Philosipher said give the brakes a little clean up before you fit them would be the best way to go.

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
My LCR makes a horrid sound sometimes when I reverse I actually give my hand brake cable some slack to cure it, just wondering if this would be a better cure and can it be done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
My car made a noise hwne reversing so I removed the pads and filed the edges down where they sit in the caliper and put copper grease on them and re-assembled which stopped it. The springs might help but clean the pads up too.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
Have you got the part number?

Part numbers (as printed on the invoice):
V7H0 615 295 A

V7H0 615 295

My LCR makes a horrid sound sometimes when I reverse I actually give my hand brake cable some slack to cure it, just wondering if this would be a better cure and can it be done

My car made a noise hwne reversing so I removed the pads and filed the edges down where they sit in the caliper and put copper grease on them and re-assembled which stopped it. The springs might help but clean the pads up too.

What the springs will do is ensure that the caliper has released fully ànd are the required distance from the disc, so along with cleaning down, you should see some improvement

Tapatalk on Xperia S

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
Already cleaned pads when I did it I noticed who ever fitted them had got the little spring clip jammed in the caliper so I refitted them properly and it still does it,

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
So do these springs simply push into the holes in the caliper? Dont have to take anything off or anything?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
So do these springs simply push into the holes in the caliper? Dont have to take anything off or anything?

I think you need to be in a really uncomfortable position under the back of the car and swear at them a lot but yes they go straight in.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
why do i feel the need to ask "whats stopping them from falling out" lol

They have a "U" bend on one end and a "Z" bend on the other

Once you insert them in to the correct slots they are not falling out cos they are always under tension.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
I see, awesome, i'll do this soon because my rear calipers stick on sometime when i take the handbreak off after being parked overnight

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
I think you need to be in a really uncomfortable position under the back of the car and swear at them a lot but yes they go straight in.

pretty much that in a nut shell, i was half on the pavement 1/2 under the car, this is a downside to a lowered car even when jacked up haha

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
Just an extra, on phoning around the part numbers they told me were:

V7H0 615 295 A

V7H0 615 296

I originally asked for V7H0 615 295, but they told me this was off a Transport and was around £15! The others come in at £2.09+VAT, so sounds about right.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.