Rear Caliper Release Springs

rsshawn

Apr 29, 2010
Stumbled across this whilst searching for something brake related. Thank you, nice info and worth a go for the money. Just ordered these so will fit them with my new brakes very soon. Just over £5 total from VW.

Last edited:

rsshawn

Apr 29, 2010
Just called my local VW garage. Next day order.

These won't help your handbrake be more efficient, it releases the caliper with the h/brake off so the discs don't bind on the pads. If your h/brake doesn't work then it needs adjusting.

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
Fitted these at the weekend, didn't notice much difference too be honest. Handbrake still feels the same, and I've not noticed the rear calipers squeaking but that's probably due to my new loud exhaust

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As I and others no doubt have said, if the handbrake is sticking etc, then the linkage, calliper and mountings needs cleaning up - THEN - fit these "helper" springs.

There is no magic in the world - so far!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
i only got them to have a little bit of resistance when putting the handbrake on its a shame the springs arnt a little stronger really but it does feel better than it did as its given the lever a little bit of weight to it.

Hummm, I'm not trying to be confrontational, but, if you fitted a really strong spring, then you might find that you end up with a handbrake action that would have you tearing the handbrake "handle" out of the floor when you applied the handbrake far enough to apply the brake enough to hold the car when on a slope. All that is needed, on some/most of these cars is, enough extra "lever return" action to ensure that the rear discs/pads do not drag when the handbrake is "off".

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Think you have bigger problems than a few helper springs....... You will need new callipers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No its just the pads dragging, simple as.

My calipers have only covered 17k and have been stripped once and cleaned down so deffo dont need new ones LOL.

Its a vag fault which is not helped by the fact that the pads do not cover the whole disc area.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Just fitted mine, handbrake snaps down a bit sharper now and hopefully no more sticking if the car isn't moved off the drive for a few days :)

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
I will also add that releasing the handbrake makes this job much easier as the spring doesn't need to be under as much tension!

Eric87

Jul 22, 2012
Suffolk/Cambridge/Essex borders
null-6.jpg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that there must be a way round that, maybe have a look on the Skoda forum Fabia section ie, www.briskoda.net maybe the "anti mooing" mode bits can be removed and the springs fitted with no mooing - the mooing was only when in reverse I think.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.