Rear damper question.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
We out some lowering springs on today and noticed that the rear driverside damper is leaking a bit. Spoke to euros and they only do the whole shock. Can you get the damper on its own or is it all one unit?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Damper and shock absorber mean the same thing when used in this context. (It's a shock damper, technically speaking.)

The dust cover comes separately if that's what you mean?

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
The guy that was fitting them said damper. When I asked if it was the whole unit that needed replacing he seemed to think it wasn't the whole thing but a part of it what confused me. I thought it was all one unit but the way he was talking was like only part of it needed replacing. He wasn't on about the dust cover. Also do I have to replace both the rears or can I get away with only replacing one. Found that a front cv boot has split as well and my card is struggling

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Did they say whole shock or whole strut? Cause strut would be spring + damper already assembled. I don't see how you can change part of a shock. I'd always do the shocks in pairs, unless the other side has also been recently replaced. Otherwise you may end up with one side stiffer than the other. Plus, if one went, law of averages the other probably isn't far behind and might as well get it out the way all in one.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
The shock/damper is one unit and simple to replace. It needs to be assembled with the top mount (including dust cover)
Motor factors usually sell the shock, but not the top mount.

You need to remove the old shock, undo the top nut, remove the top mount and dust cover, put the top mount and dust cover onto the new shock and tighten it down with a new top nut (comes with the shock usually)

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Yeah as above I'd replace both together. Might be worth confirming with your guy exactly what he meant.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.