rear door glass removal - Leon Mk1

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1' started by 65coupe, Feb 11, 2010.

1. 65coupe

65coupe I'm too old for this!

Anyone know how the door glass attaches to the window carrier in a Mk1 Leon Cupra??

(It's not a screw into the carrier because I can see it - it looks like some kind of plastic push in/push out lug, but knowing how expensive these things generally are:wtf:, I don't want to force it)

Someone must have done this...

2. 65coupe

Does nobody know?:shrug:

3. Muttley

Muttley Catch that diesel!

Never done this, and I have a Toledo in any case. The guides I've seen suggest it is a single expanding plug with a push-fit pin to expand it. Removal seems to be by pushing first the pin and then the plug out of the hole in the window glass. Seat have a special tool to do this, which may also hold the regulator in place, it isn't clear. On removal the bits you've pushed out have to be retrieved from the inside of the door.

It suggests putting the expanding plug in the glass first on reassembly, then locating the plug in the riser guide and sliding the glass down until the plug fits in the riser. Then put in the pin to expand it all. Not a lot of detail.

4. 65coupe

Thanks Muttley - that makes sense from what I'm looking at. Hope I don't break it!!

5. Muttley

There is a warning about making sure the internal pin (looks as though it's a spring pin, to put an expanding spring force on the plug) is driven out squarely to avoid breaking the glass. Without the cool special tool, my guess would be that you need to make sure that you apply pressure to the internal pin only, and as squarely as possible.

Oh, and it says to be careful not to put a dent in the door skin as you drive the pin right out!

God only knows how you put the spring pin back in, though. Somehow you've got to stop the expanding plug from being pushed out of the glass. Maybe you can lodge it off-center in the access hole, so that it is held in from the far side, while still giving enough clearance to get the spring pin in??? Best of luck :)

#5 Muttley, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  6. 65coupe

well I managed to pop the inner pin out (without hitting the door skin!!) but I can't get the outer one out. Too bluddy cold today anyway!

7. techie

techie Skoda Techie

Just remember when refitting you assemble both parts of the pin into the window and just push it down, it locks into place itself.

8. Muttley

Thanks, techie, the bits I've read are not at all clear. I guess you've done this? I certainly haven't . . .

9. Al_G

Al_G Full Member

I've replaced my rear window...

You dont need a special tool all you need to do is line the glass up with the carrier insert the outer plug then bend your hand behind the glass and insert the inner plug from the outside in (if that makes sense). Obviously to do this you'll need to open up the inner door skin enough to be able to reach inside behind the glass...

Cheers

10. techie

techie Skoda Techie

You mean when your putting it in? Nah its much easier than that, with the glass out just assemble the pin both parts complete then just slide the glass in and push down and it clips into place.

Yes i've done many of them over the years, its really simple when you know how, once you have done it no problems.

11. Cuprar72

Cuprar72 Full Member

Trying to get rear glass out so I can replace door mechanism any help please?

12. mty12345

mty12345 Senior Member

You need to push/punch the inner part of the plastic pin out of the outer part of the pin... As said above, watch you don't dent the outer door.

Youtube is your friend these days... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=324yYU8ppMA

#12 mty12345, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  13. Cuprar72

Cuprar72 Full Member

I have tried but don’t want to break anything

14. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Full Member

When I did mine, I tried the screw method - putting a screw in there and pulling it out. Didn't work.

I put a large rag behind the pin so the glass won't shatter and the door won't get dented.

Then, I used something (may have been a large torx screwdriver, can't recall) and bashed it out. Was very tight.

15. mty12345

mty12345 Senior Member

No other way of getting it out mate... like homer says it's pretty tight in there.

#15 mty12345, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  16. Cuprar72

Cuprar72 Full Member

Ok will try later and then to refit I take it U have to bash pin back in

17. Cuprar72

Cuprar72 Full Member

What these need is a little metal inspection plate u can unbolt big enough to get to door catch so not having to remove the whole inner skin

18. Cuprar72

Cuprar72 Full Member

THAnks guys all done no more leaks too, and cheap eBay lock/catch works, the only thing different is when I unlock normally to unlock all doors not just drivers I have to press twice(pain in arse) but the new rear lock unlocks with front door on one push of button? Any clues please

19. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Full Member

You can change the locking via VCDS

It seems the module is set to open on one press

20. Cuprar72

Cuprar72 Full Member

Tried everything still doesn’t play ball, I’ve switched off anti hijack and comfort locking too, cheap eBay part but it locks and unlocks so it will do