Rear door won't open from outside, but not always,

249mat

Aug 6, 2013
Hi all

I have a 2010 Leon FR 170 which has developed an issue in the last couple of days.

After unlocking my car the passenger side rear door won't open from outside.

If I use the inside handle, close the door, the outdoor handle then works fine.

Lock the car again and it's back to not opening again!

Only started in Friday morning so I am baffled!

pS I have tried wd40 in case the latch was dirty and sticking!

Many thanks

Matt

PS - going to start new post about getting the door panels off!!!!!!

Last edited:

HasF

Sep 13, 2013
Mine does this also.

I think its water ingress into the door is the main problem. I've checked the mechanism and all is fine. You can pull the door handle from the inside and it will open. Or lock and unlock again normally solves it.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
The door itself unlocks, so I don't think it is the locking mechanism. I think it's something to do with the recessed handle - hopefully I can get at this fairly easily to check it out.

HasF

Sep 13, 2013
The door itself unlocks, so I don't think it is the locking mechanism. I think it's something to do with the recessed handle - hopefully I can get at this fairly easily to check it out.

I found that if i tap on the black part by the recessed door handle that often makes it work.

I think its fairly easy to get that section off and have a look.

Hoping its something simple!

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Still intermittent, hopefully the weather holds off this weekend so I can have a look

seat leon 26

door lock

i sounds like the door catch at fault i changed one on a golf the other day if you tap the door then itworks its the catch sticking .
you could either just replace it or try lube the catch itself but think id just replace it

al.edm

MK2 Junky
Aug 5, 2014
Hi all

I have a 2010 Leon FR 170 which has developed an issue in the last couple of days.

After unlocking my car the passenger side rear door won't open from outside.

If I use the inside handle, close the door, the outdoor handle then works fine.

Lock the car again and it's back to not opening again!

Only started in Friday morning so I am baffled!

pS I have tried wd40 in case the latch was dirty and sticking!

Many thanks

Matt

PS - going to start new post about getting the door panels off!!!!!!

BUMP!

Any news about it? Did you fix it somehow? Apparently I am having the same trouble now..

Al

Last edited:

Dani_b19

Apr 8, 2009
Also got this. Car unlocks all doors fine apart from the rear passenger one. Opens fine from the inside then will open from the outside until you lock the car, lock the car then unlock it and wont open.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Feck me this must be catching I have the same problem occasionally, why this door and not the offside I wonder. Anyone got a solution then?

clivethegadget

Jun 1, 2015
My MK2 LEON is also doing the same! Rear passenger door will not open from outside after it has been locled and unlocked. Door can be opened from inside, closed and then will open from outside OK.... until car locked and then unlocked... then no good from outside again.
How have others solved this ?????

robertg919

Nov 12, 2011
Birmingham
i had this problem on my fr tfsi rear driverside door. i found it to be the door lock modual. was intermittent door would lock fine but would not open from the outside only inside. cost £147 form the deeler for a new unit. its been fine for nealy 2 years since

-UzY-

Jun 2, 2015
Funnily enough I have the same issue with my car, rear driver's side door. I thought it was just me at first, however sometimes it will open just fine

Athers99

Nov 11, 2011
Birmingham
I have exactly the same issue and it's on the rear side passenger door also, which is a pain as it's the side my son sits in his car seat. Did everyone buy a new door lock module to solve or did grease etc fix for some? Also did anyone buy a 2nd hand one to fix this issue?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
I have exactly the same issue and it's on the rear side passenger door also, which is a pain as it's the side my son sits in his car seat. Did everyone buy a new door lock module to solve or did grease etc fix for some? Also did anyone buy a 2nd hand one to fix this issue?

The lock units are sealed so grease won't be of any use. I replaced mine with a second hand one from eBay and it's been fine since.

I have the same problem too I definitely won't be paying £150 for a new 1 for the sake of opening from inside ��

It's an MOT fail if the outside handle doesn't work.