rear light cluster

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Ive given up trying to remove it before I slice my hand off.
got the two screws no bother, can wiggle the cluster about, but can I shift if off the two inner clips? can I buggery!! looks like Ive been self-harming, as Ive several red weals across my wrist and a few small cuts.. Im calling it a loss before I either slice my hand off or smash the cluster.
Sod it. the missus can drive around with a brake light out for a while. [:@]

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
When I removed mine I grabbed hold of it with a towel and wriggled it till it came loose. You can prize them off using the gap between the cluster and rear wing, but you risk damaging your paintwork.

It's a stupid design really as the screws do a good job holding the light anyway. I lubed up the metal clips before I refitted my clusters :)

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Went to Seat Dealer/Stealer this morning, more in hope of finding a trick to get these out than them actually doing anything/fixing it for me and as per usual I left not disappointed as I knoew they wouldnt do anything before i even drove there...
one of the workshop guys did actually come out and 'discuss' what to do.. much the same as ive already done tbh.. wouldnt touch it as its "Not booked in" (in other words they wouldnt be able to claim for any work off of SeatUK, or would be liable for any damage if it occurred. Procedures, eh.. don'cha just love 'em)
anyways, got home and decided to give it one last blast before taking a sledgehammer to it.. undid the tor-X screws then had a brainwave :idea: wife has some soft wooden spatula's for cooking etc, so i softened one up a bit more by pouring boiling water over it, then inserted it into the gap between the rear quater panel and the cluster itself, and POP!
unit came out :clap:

bulb replaced, on happy missus, one fully functioning car and I still have both hands on the ends of my arms rather than one severed one after trying to reach the clips from inside the 1/4 panel last week .

and breathe...:happy:

There's a technique :D

For the NS rear cluster: stand at the rear quarter and firmly with the ball of your hand hit the side of the cluster in the direction away from the rear of the car with your right hand (god this is hard to explain!!) a couple firm hits should have it pop out.

Failing that get the spatula's out :D

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
mate, god knows i tried that technique!! i swear if that spatula hadnt worked the blowtorch and a sledgehammer were coming out!

*mind you, third mk4 Ive had and its the first bulb thats gone , so I guess Ive not done too badly.
:D

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
When I removed mine I grabbed hold of it with a towel and wriggled it till it came loose. You can prize them off using the gap between the cluster and rear wing, but you risk damaging your paintwork.

It's a stupid design really as the screws do a good job holding the light anyway. I lubed up the metal clips before I refitted my clusters :)

...;)

Dazz 1989

XBOX Live = DazzAbell89
Jan 28, 2010
Cannock
i had the same trouble the other night!!!!!! My mate got it out in the end, but it was a right B***H!!!

Atleast i know what to do now......."get the spatula's out"!!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise