Rear Mounted Bike Rack

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
What rear mounted bike rack's are you using on your Leon?

I have looked into this before and Thule + Saris used to list racks for the Leon but have since removed the Leon as being compatible as they weren't happy with the way it fitted to the car.

I won't be using the rack very often so I am definitely not going to the expense of a tow bar or roof rack but I was thinking about the Halfords rear carrier as it is listed as fitting the Leon - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...fords-essentials-rear-low-mount-cycle-carrier

Any suggestions?

Porker3

May 17, 2015
Hi, you may want to try www.roofbox.co.uk, they have quite a comprehensive website. They show a couple of options for the Leon. I've used them historically and I'm looking to buy a set of roof bars for my Cupra from them, once I sell the ones I purchased for my 1-series BMW I had prior to the seat.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Backdoor racks makes scratches on your back door + they can be stolen quite easily.
Even I use bike carriers few times a year, I rather bought roof rack, which can be used for other roof stuff as well.
Price is not such a difference.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I had a roof rack on my Ibiza and I would never buy another that clamps onto the door frame so a roof rack is not an option on the Leon.

Definately want rear mounted and I will protect the boot lid to minimise scrapes etc.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
I have ST, roof racks are mounted on roof rails..

Why never again roof racks mounted on doors/direct on roof?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
If they were mounted on rails it would be fine but with them mounted directly to the door frame I ended up with some problems

1. A slight leak in heavy rain where the door seal had to go around the roof rack clamp
2. Door had problems closing
3. When I removed the roof rack there was alot of scrapes underneath the pad

I would definitely never have one again which was mounted directly onto the roof and clamped at the door frames.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
I have a Saris Bones rack for 3 bikes and it works fine. I usually wrap the rubber feet with some old sheets to prevent any scratch potential.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
The bones was one of the racks which I had considered but Saris have removed the leon as being compatible with it.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Hmm, so I am quite happy to have these roof rails [B)]

What I read about backdoor carriers before I have decided for any solution seems to have similar problems - scratches & easy to stole it. Maybe just not raining inside....
Beside that, bikes are even on backdoors "too high", they are not hidden behind car.

Good luck!

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
go with thule roof racks and the 591 bicycle holder! awesome stuff.

Totally agree. Worth the extra cost. I've used boot mounted bike racks before and they feel insecure in comparison. Also can't get into the boot with it fitted. Roof mounted ones lock the bike in place so more secure when leaving it parked. I've used the fitting kits that mount to door frame on other cars and never had issues with leaks or it damaging the vehicle. Must admit I do prefer it mounted to the roof rails on the st though.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Do all the Leon's have plastic roof spoilers? That'll be the reason for them not listing them.... You can't (shouldn't mount a bike rack to a plastic spoiler for obvious reasons.

So Tow Bar is likely your only option

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Im going to get a Mont Blanc rack and try it on the car. If im not happy with it, its going back :)

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Got the rear mounted rack today, not happy with how it the side straps fit due to the position of the rear lights so its going back for a refund tomorrow.

Looks like the only other option will be a tarpaulin inside the car to keep it clean!

Last edited:

Keanoid

Oct 9, 2015
I use a halfords Rear High Mount 3 Cycle Carrier and fits a hardtail MTB no problem. If you are trying to fit a full suspension you may need an adapter.

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
How are people getting their bikes inside their car?

Anybody found any nifty methods of sliding it in through the back doors (cheeky) behind the front seats without destroying the interior? I used to do this on my old Ibiza but I could fold the base of the rear seats up and I didn't care if it got that muddy.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I ended up p/x'ing my 5dr for the ST as it just wasn't practical for loading my bikes and kit. I race 2-3 times a week in Summer and like to keep the bike inside the car, along with quite a bit of kit. The 5dr just couldn't cope well.

The ST by comparison is excellent; boot in the higher position, and seats down my bike (both wheels fitted) just slides in. I recently bought an Atera Signo roof rack and Giro bike carrier for when I have passengers in the rear. All bases covered.

Have you looked at this option for a roof rack?:

http://road.cc/content/review/154825-seasucker-talon-bike-rack

Expensive compared to some but I know a bloke who uses it on his R8 and rates it highly. I've also seen a bloke turn up to a TT with one on his AMV8 Vantage, shame he was a slow fecker :p

Last edited:

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
How are people getting their bikes inside their car?

Anybody found any nifty methods of sliding it in through the back doors (cheeky) behind the front seats without destroying the interior? I used to do this on my old Ibiza but I could fold the base of the rear seats up and I didn't care if it got that muddy.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Double bed sheet. Put half down on the boot floor, bike in, and fold the other half over the bike. I do it so the the bikes drivetrain is under the folded/closed side of the sheet to minimize oil/mud touching any interior trim.

I always find it easier to slide the rear of the bike in first.

I also had a 3M Venture Shield transparent strip applied to the top of the rear bumper, just to mitigate against accidental scratches during loading/unloading.

fabiavrs2004

Sep 11, 2015
Bristol
I've got an ST with the challenge of 5 bikes, two hybrids and three smaller hardtails. Can I fit all 5 on a roof bar 1.5m wide, they fit for width and aren't any wider than the bottom of the windows.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members