Rear passenger door won't open

Daz cupra r

Jun 7, 2018
Hi have a problem with the rear passenger door lock ,when the car is unlocked the rear door doesn't unlock but when opened from the inside works ok until door is locked again cupra r 2010
Any advice would be appreciated , cheers

Reactions: JohnnyMackers

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Sounds like the module in the door could be playing up. My 2008vseat leon has this issue in the winter. I'm guessing it's a split wire or done module. I get connection errors when trying to talk to modules with vagcom and scanner.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Daz cupra r

Jun 7, 2018
Right, might be worth taking it out and giving it a look over see if it's anything obvious , had no lights on the dashboard , cheers

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
I don't get any warning lights either, if you have access to vagcom or a scanner it should tell give you done information. I know the mk4 golf's were bad for a wire breaking in the rubber flexible wire loom thing for the door opening and closing.

Last edited:

Daz cupra r

Jun 7, 2018
Thanks for that ,no I dont have a reader so will just take it out and have a look and give it a good clean

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Update on the issue: the door lock module is faulty, it's not engaging a lever that moves into position which allows the door to be opened from outside. I'll see if I can open the unit for closer inspection, if not there are some used one's on eBay for £35 upwards.
Removing the inner door panel/card is easy, the outer skin did not need to be removed (I've seen that on some VW cars the outer skin is removed)

That is a copy of some information I had stored in my notes off of another forum, I kept meaning to get round to opening up the module.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
You'll get funny looks drilling into the door module but just ignore everyone haha also it may feel like a lifetime getting through the housing but take it slow as too far and you won't be able to lock or unlock it lol

I found the wide (3 inch) plastic trim removal tools very handy to get the trim off my R.

Oh and put bluetac over the hole so it doesn't dry up quick and it's easy to remove next time if it needs a top up, and spray generously in the hole lol the little wd40 can tubes fit perfect.

Reactions: Sturtz1987

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Any issues message me and I'll help as much as I can...

Oh and one last thing.

The trim didn't come all the way off on mine, it is attached at the bottom on the inside door handle side in case you rack your brains why lol

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Oh I know to well about the trim lol I had uprated my speakers, gave my mate a loan of my car and got it back with 1 tweeter working so had to strip it all down again...... I will update how I get on

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Oh I know to well about the trim lol I had uprated my speakers, gave my mate a loan of my car and got it back with 1 tweeter working so had to strip it all down again...... I will update how I get on

Interested what speakers you got that kept the tweeters as most I've seen you cut the tweeters out so it doesn't sound crap lol

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
I did take the tweeters out and replaced them as well. I could have done coaxial speaker but prefer separate units so I've got vibe 6" components and tweeters. I removed original tweeters and striped vibe tweeters and used hot glue gun just to hold tweeters in original place, works a treat.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I did take the tweeters out and replaced them as well. I could have done coaxial speaker but prefer separate units so I've got vibe 6" components and tweeters. I removed original tweeters and striped vibe tweeters and used hot glue gun just to hold tweeters in original place, works a treat.

May have to look into this, love a good exchange of knowledge haha

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
May have to look into this, love a good exchange of knowledge haha
I'll try remember and get you some pictures once I strip them down, yeah I'm enjoying the knowledge on this forum. Pretty chilled and not full of as many trolls as some forums. Best thing about the way I did mine was cost, speakers were about £60/pair x 2 and the adapters out mk4 golf(modified with dremel to suit) with plugs included so no hashing of original wiring.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I'll try remember and get you some pictures once I strip them down, yeah I'm enjoying the knowledge on this forum. Pretty chilled and not full of as many trolls as some forums. Best thing about the way I did mine was cost, speakers were about £60/pair x 2 and the adapters out mk4 golf(modified with dremel to suit) with plugs included so no hashing of original wiring.

Pictures would be great buddy, I remember having modify the adapters in my pre FL when I changed them to coaxial ones which was fun.

We have a few active admin on here so the trolls and spam get dealt with as and when. Happy days!

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Mines is a pre face-lift Jimbob.

It defo makes a difference a clean environment, I've never really got involved in other forums but it's good here trying to give something back. I've basically uprated most things on my Leon so got a bit of knowledge to bring to the table lol

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Mines is a pre face-lift Jimbob.

It defo makes a difference a clean environment, I've never really got involved in other forums but it's good here trying to give something back. I've basically uprated most things on my Leon so got a bit of knowledge to bring to the table lol

Worth checking that video counts for pre FL as well as mine is FL... I doubt they changes the door modules but you never know.

Yeah been on here a while and I have learnt loads! Even managed to get some of my own guides on done on leds under the footwells etc it's been a good experience for someone who knew nothing about cars before hand.

Reactions: Sturtz1987
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members