Rear Reverse Lights Dont work

crazybrumi

Mar 13, 2010
Hall Green, Birmingham
Hi i have bought my first car the other week and only just realised that my reverse lights dont seem to be working, i have changed the bulbs checked the fuse even had the reverse switch changed to no avail. what am i missing, could this be an earthing issue? i think this but then i also think that the brake lights are working fine, so if it was an earthing problem surely it would affect them to unless they are on a different circuit? Anyone with any suggest please, i will be more than happy to try anything. thanks folks :)

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
There are a few different reverse light switches for these cars they have different lengths that screw into the gearbox you have to make sure you get the right one.

I changed my reverse switch last year and i bought 3 different switches that came up on there system. I matched the correct one up and took the others back.

And it worked fine

crazybrumi

Mar 13, 2010
Hall Green, Birmingham
hmm okay interesting i shall go into my vw/seat garage and request a few to try, do you have serial number of some sort? and how do the three differ? thanks pal

Last edited:

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
The bit that screws in the gearbox with the switch on are different lengths. I remember one was a bit longer than the other you might have the wrong one in there that is too short.

If you still have the old switch match them up till you get the right one.

crazybrumi

Mar 13, 2010
Hall Green, Birmingham
i tried a new switch didnt work i manually tested it aswell pushed it in with my hand and got someone to stand at the back and it still didnt work. so im out of ideas, nw i have a new problem with my indicators see other thread :(

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Unplug the switch, bridge out the two pins with a paperclip. Turn the ignition on an see if they come on, easiest way to diagnose a switch before just buying a new one. Wiring often breaks at the plug as its to tight, is the wiring ok?

Gezz

Nov 12, 2006
Manchester
I know I would want to fix it too if it was me but there is no legal requirement for reverse lights and its not part of the MOT, so if its getting to be too much trouble you can just leave them.

crazybrumi

Mar 13, 2010
Hall Green, Birmingham
right i was a bit bored over the weekend so borrowed a multimeter from a mate, i dont seem to be geting any live to the switch at all and i check the fuse well i think it was the right fuse and everything is fine. one thing i did foget to do is check with the multimeter from the fuse box.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members