Rear suspension bouncy - after shocks have been changed

pignamedbacon

Apr 5, 2016
I have recently changed the rear shocks on my MK4 Seat Ibiza myself and had the front shocks done in the garage around the same time.

But the ride from the rear suspension has become very bouncy. :confused:

Any ideas as to why this might be?

Cheers

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
You've not put non-sport suspension on a sport model have you?

IIRC the shocks and springs for sport and non-sport are different.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Or, is it not a good idea to "stroke" new dampers that probably have been lying flat and fully compressed before fitting to a car?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ah, I see that you are not technically minded, that term means fully extending and fully compressing the damper a few times!

pignamedbacon

Apr 5, 2016
It is definitely bouncy, if i hit a bump on the road the car bounces excessively and using the stationary bounce test it bounces several times before settling.

The shocks are the same type as the ones i changed out and it is a standard chassis.

andycupra

status subject to change
if that's right then the shocks are not doing their job, so potentially faulty.
why did you change the shocks? were the old ones not working? or just did it as its an easy job?

if the old set up wasn't bouncy but now it is then either:
* new shocks faulty
* new shocks not fitted correctly
* new shocks not the same spec/type
* imagination (but your bounce test shows this isnt the case)

you could take it for a drive and get a mate to drive behind / along side and watch the wheels over bumps does it look like the shocks are not working?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It is definitely bouncy, if i hit a bump on the road the car bounces excessively and using the stationary bounce test it bounces several times before settling.

The shocks are the same type as the ones i changed out and it is a standard chassis.

I did the same to daughter's late 2009 Ibiza, again used Boge as fitted at factory, bought them from ECP and had no problems with them, I did "stroke" them before fitted them though, maybe get the car back up on stands and disconnect the bottom bolt and give them a good work out - ie fully compressed, fully extended a few times, if I remember correctly these shockers like to extend fully when set free!

pignamedbacon

Apr 5, 2016
Okay thank you both for the advice!

I'll get it jacked up this weekend, try stroking them and make sure they are correct and properly fitted. If it doesnt work, I guess i'll need to change them out!

I'll let you know how it goes :)

pignamedbacon

Apr 5, 2016
Turned out that one of the shocks was faulty, it started leaking, so had them both replaced and all sorted now! :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.