Rear wash problems the common fault

fandyboy

Me too...

Quick (stupid) question, how do you remove the fabric from the rear wheel arch? I think the pipe has come of there as it is quite soggy.

Petesez

Thanks to all posters for all the info and links on here.

The rear wash on my two year old Ibiza 1.4 Sport has stopped and seemed to be the same as the problem with my wifes 5 year old 1.2 Ibiza.

Eventually with hers when the dealer wanted to charge me for fixing I took off the whole rear panel and it sits in my garage waiting to go back on when the car moves on. The 1.4 is a different set up in the rear hatch lid so I appreciate the comments on this thread re the other locations to look at.

Once it stops raining I will go exploring.

Thanks again.

Vince_The_Cat

Me too...

Quick (stupid) question, how do you remove the fabric from the rear wheel arch? I think the pipe has come of there as it is quite soggy.

That was my question too... I've not had a proper look yet, the weather has prevented me.

Any advice from others would be much appreciated. :D

Petesez

Well the sun came out today so I went out and had a good look around and after giving the rear wash pump a few seconds run I looked all around and found water dripping from the plastic bumper moulding underneath and near the rear of the nearside wheel arch.

There does not seem to be any water or dampness in the boot anywhere.

I guess its the near side wheel arch fabric in the boot to come off and like Vince the Cat any help would be appreciated.

When I looked under the rear drivers wheel arch I saw plastic piping all secured and also a short piece of seemingly unconnected white narrow plastic pipe about 4 inches long pointing basically straight down.

This short piece of pipe was fairly rigid and not able to be moved much and my first thoughts were that it is a drain pipe for something and the only thing that comes to mind is for the Air Conditioning unit .

Any views or knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks to any responders in advance

that white pipe is the drain from the fuel cap. i pulled mine off from the top the other day whilst fitting a new filler flap. the washer pipe will have come apart behind the offside rear light if you got water in that area. access it from in the boot

Petesez

Thanks smithy84,

The info re the white pipe is appreciated and also re the washer pipe.

I checked the site and looked at the post on changing rear lights and getting the access there and am quite happy with that bit so will just be careful with the trim and see what happens.

I will have a look as soon as I can as the weather changed again and the snow came back to me up here in the North East of England although we are getting off pretty lightly around where I live in Washington but its bad enough and having been out this morning 0715 while the main roads are pretty clear the road surface feels plenty dodgy in places.

Cheers again
Pete

happylad

old boy racer
Oct 22, 2008
benfleet essex
this is a really common problem. Mine has packed up again think from the engine bay end BUT yours has come off in the boot then take off the rear hatch panel carefully and fix it back with a dab of plastic glue. cable ties don't work. the problem is that the water freezes, expandes and pops off the poxy pipe. |Really bloody annoying

Petesez

Cheers Happylad,

I will brave the cold again soon and get into the boot.

Hopefully not doing much driving over the next few days so can wait a bit.

Love the cars but as you say annoying little saga each year.

Hope you and all on here have a safe and happy C and NYear.

Thanks again
Pete

happylad

old boy racer
Oct 22, 2008
benfleet essex
and to you pete
if you are taking off the rear panel beware as it sctratches really easily. if i remember there are 2 screws beneath the grab recess then it's a case of gentle persuasion. The clips are VERY brilltle so expect to break some they only cost pennies
Oh and there are screws by the locking mechanism

have fun noidea how to fix it under the bonnet

I too love me car boo hoo have been looking at changing it but I have seen some right crap this month and met some really dodgy car sales people. Me thinks it's better the devil you know?????

CJS-90

20vT Powahhhh
Sep 30, 2010
Clitheroe
Common places

For the rear washer pipe to pop off? It's been off since I bought the car 3 weeks ago, but not got round to searching for where it's come off yet...Be good if I knew the most common places it comes off so i'm not looking absolutely everywhere!

CJS-90

20vT Powahhhh
Sep 30, 2010
Clitheroe
Can you do the engine bay one without taking the airbox out? Same place as on my old Fabia vRS below the airbox, but never had to take the airbox out as I could fit my hand down and feel around

Dabbalz

Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
I would not have got my hand down there to sort it

LOL, i didn't even look on here before taking on the job.
I knew it was spraying from the front somewhere so i got it on ramps and removed the under tray, got our lass to push the stalk and could see it was coming from the airbox area so got her to do it whilst shining a torch down the back of the air box. I could see it spraying form under it, i removed the airbox which was a bit of a pain although already loose and it simply clicks together.
The good point is that the air box is now more secure than before so i guess this has been done before. Easy job really.
Mine seemed to start spraying out after i tried using it whilst very cold and iced up so the pressure must have blown it off.
I'd rather that than have to replace the pipe due to it splitting.

1. Remove top airbox cover and pipes, (2 screws on right and a hose clip for turbo hose (large long nose's required), other just unplugs) move the cover out of the way or remove the hose housing the MAF (2screws) to remove completely.
2. remove air filter
3. remove screw from cold air duct
pull off cold air duct from cross member end (i just moved it down to give room to pull it out of the airbox)
4. 10mm socket on extender bar will remove the bolts securing airbox (i didn't need to do this but replaced it this way)
5. lift the air box out (there are wires on the right behind the battery to be careful of)
6 connect the two black washer tubes back together
7. refit is the reverse of removal

Last edited:

Vince_The_Cat

Finally had the time to have a look at the connector in the boot - drivers side above the wheel arch.

Not too bad to reconnect.

I've put a few photos up on Flickr - mainly detailing the trim removal. Unfortunately I can't post URL's yet.

Message me if you'd like the link.

Cheers. :)

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
I would not have got my hand down there to sort it

LOL, i didn't even look on here before taking on the job.
I knew it was spraying from the front somewhere so i got it on ramps and removed the under tray, got our lass to push the stalk and could see it was coming from the airbox area so got her to do it whilst shining a torch down the back of the air box. I could see it spraying form under it, i removed the airbox which was a bit of a pain although already loose and it simply clicks together.
The good point is that the air box is now more secure than before so i guess this has been done before. Easy job really.
Mine seemed to start spraying out after i tried using it whilst very cold and iced up so the pressure must have blown it off.
I'd rather that than have to replace the pipe due to it splitting.

1. Remove top airbox cover and pipes, (2 screws on right and a hose clip for turbo hose (large long nose's required), other just unplugs) move the cover out of the way or remove the hose housing the MAF (2screws) to remove completely.
2. remove air filter
3. remove screw from cold air duct
pull off cold air duct from cross member end (i just moved it down to give room to pull it out of the airbox)
4. 10mm socket on extender bar will remove the bolts securing airbox (i didn't need to do this but replaced it this way)
5. lift the air box out (there are wires on the right behind the battery to be careful of)
6 connect the two black washer tubes back together
7. refit is the reverse of removal

Thanks for the Superb guide - worked a treat for me :)
One thing though, I've tried to secure the washer pipe join with a tightly applied cable tie. I have my fingers crossed it'll stop it coming apart in future eh :rolleyes::D

andyfras

This is where I have the problem with my TDi. I can't release the airbox as it seems to be anchored in two places (front left and rear centre).

Vince_The_Cat

Finally had the time to have a look at the connector in the boot - drivers side above the wheel arch.

Not too bad to reconnect.

I've put a few photos up on Flickr - mainly detailing the trim removal. Unfortunately I can't post URL's yet.

Message me if you'd like the link.

Cheers. :)

I've put the URL in a Visitor Message on my profile... :)

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
This is where I have the problem with my TDi. I can't release the airbox as it seems to be anchored in two places (front left and rear centre).
From standing in front of the nearside headlight - There's a 10mm bolt on the right hand side of the airbox which needs undoing but the front left and rear centre connections are push fit rubber connectors - just pull away and the box will come out no problem.

I had the same thought as you and had to do a bit of a hunt round to make sure I wasn't going to break the airbox through it being bolted anywhere else - which it isn't. Good Luck! :)

PS It goes without saying do disconnect the air pipe before doing the above as it makes it a lot easier.