Rear Window Lock Button Illuminated when car is locked

Benjy3000

Sep 16, 2018
Hi,

Noticed and issue yesterday when the rear window lock button will be Illuminated orange as normal but when the car is locked if i turn it on.

Ive had the car for a year and only just noticed so not sure if it's a designed feature or a fault with the car. If so, any ideas on what it may be.

I've checked doors and boot and confirmed all are closed. Just conscious about it draining the battery if it stays on.

Thanks

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hum, I could not believe that what you reported was correct - well that was until I got into my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL and switched the rear windows "inhibit" on - and yes the light was lit, I locked the car and yes the switch was still lit - surely that is not a good idea?

Edit:- one thing, which I did not try, maybe leave the car in this state, then check it again 15 minutes later as any "not required" power supplies should have been shut down by then and that light might have gone out - until the car is unlocked again.

Last edited:

Benjy3000

Sep 16, 2018
Hum, I could not believe that what you reported was correct - well that was until I got into my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL and switched the rear windows "inhibit" on - and yes the light was lit, I locked the car and yes the switch was still lit - surely that is not a good idea?

Edit:- one thing, which I did not try, maybe leave the car in this state, then check it again 15 minutes later as any "not required" power supplies should have been shut down by then and that light might have gone out - until the car is unlocked again.

Thanks for this, I did leave it and checked again letter after visiting the supermarket (was around 20 minutes) and the light was still on. Sounds like it might be a feature by design if the Polo also has it, just seems a bit daft and surprised I've only started noticing it now.

Could you test on the Polo after a few minutes and see if you get the same?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
We are going out to visit friends later today so I will try to remember to enable that switch and see if it is still on when we return to the car. I don't know about you and your car, but we have never intentionally switched that switch on, don't carry any children or naughty adults - (kids gone but not producing yet!) - so, it is only when someone, and not me accidentally switches that switch on when they have grabbed the handle etc, that I've spotted that it has been on and comment about it and switch it off!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Okay, so I disabled the rear windows some time before stopping the car and locking it up, left it for 2.5 hours and checked before going out in my mate's car for a meal, the switch was not lit up at that point in time, nor was it lit up 3.5 hours later, though as soon as the car was unlocked via the remote button on the key, it became lit again.

So, yes after some time, probably 15, 30 minutes or more, that lit switch will become not lit, really a bit silly though as the windows stop being able to be operated either X minutes after switching the engine off or as soon as a front door has been opened - so in a smart world, that switch would end up being unlit at either of these points in time.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members