Reasons to like the LCR

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Dont listen to people saying things like "you'll probably write the car off as your only 21" thats just bollocks. A car can only go as fast as you make it no matter how much power it is.

Overall there pretty great cars, they look superb and are pretty rapid out the box. Very easily tunable with a simple remap taking them to 260+BHP without any other engine mods.

Suspension wise I had the S3 upper brace fitted already when I bought mine and it handles very well (on par if not even better than my 106 GTI) which is amazing for a car of its size. A set of ARBs are next for mine tho as there supossidly a brilliant add on and transforms the cars handling

Insurance wise i'd imagine it to be expensive at your age but any car with a grp 15 band or over will be.

As for fuel consumtion mine is pretty good managing over 35mpg on the *private road* at 85mph and not goin below 30mpg around town and mine is remapped. Obviously that will drop dramatically if you have a heavy right foot but any performance car will be bad on fuel like this

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
a rapid bus! lol;) (one thing you wouldnt want is your mates screaming in the back... although once at 300bhp+ amazingly they go very quiet)

realisticly...
LC 20vt 180bhp will map with extras like a sports cat to 230/240 after that your stuck. you`d need to fit a bigger turbo.

LCR 225bhp will map with extras to around 270/280 after that it needs a bigger turbo.

bigger turbos cost anything from 2.5k - 5k. but you should see 300-340 bhp.

both cars benifit from better suspension, arbs ect. LC would need better brakes after 300bhp.

cars are very good out of the box and id sugest running it as standard for a while to get used to the power and its handling.

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
In my opinion the LCR doesn't need the whole suspension swapping, fitting uprated ARBs makes such a profound difference.

Uprated ARBs (I recommend Neuspeed 28R/25F) new tyres, Eagle F1 Asymmetrics are the best tyre I've ever used by quite some margin. Also, an upper front strut brace. Do these and the LCR will be an absolute weapon on a back road (if a little firm!)

I'm not going to lie about costs, a modded LCR is going to be hard on the wallet. £300 tax next year, steep fuel costs if you drive it as intended. Tyres are a killer too, you'll ruin the whole thing with crap rubber and if you drive it hard you'll be swapping out ~£240 of fronts every ~7k miles. Not to mention silly insurance for you. I have no doubt a Clio Sport would be much cheaper.

cmccabe165

just going back to the insurance thing,

im only 19 and i have a remaped LCR, only paying £1700 fully comp and thats with the remap declared,which i think is brilliant.
im with elephant,so try them out.

like me,if you love the LCR enuf you'll pay it,lol
good luck,m8:)

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
I cant believe some people pay so much to insure your cars!

I've noticed you live in Manchster which will no doubt hike the premium up even more. I live in Didsbury (27, 7 years NCB, no convictions points etc). The cheapest quote I found (by far) was £770 fully comp (excess £500). I can only imagine that to insure yours you'll be looking at 2k plus...

Greenlight won't insure people who have an "M" poscode...

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
really? greenlight dont insure you if you have a M code....???

I believe that to be correct mate...Its not the only post code they won't insure also...

Also here's a list of cars which greenlight won't insure as they're deemed too risky...

Excluded vehicles

BMW E36 models - (E30/E46 derivatives are still acceptable)
Citroen Saxo models
Ford Sierra RS500 model
Honda S2000, Integra DC2 & DC5 imports (UK DC2's are acceptable)
Imported Subaru models (UK Models are acceptable)
Lotus Elise/Exige
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo (All)
Nissan 200SX models (All)
Porsche (except Boxster)
Renault Clio 172 “Cup” (non-ABS) model - (All other 172 derivatives are acceptable)
Skoda Fabia/Octavia models
TVR (all models)
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
LHD vehicles (except Golf Rallye and Lancia Delta)
Vehicles not listed by The Association Of British Insurers (ABI)

The above have been excluded based upon our historic claims performance with the specific models listed above - Most other Performance model vehicles are currently acceptable.

Last edited:

Bloooor

My post code is SK9 which is Wilmslow postcode but I live bordaline to Styal/Handforth/Wilmslow etc so I'm hoping it will be cheap lol Also with both parents on as named drivers and my 2years ncb can only hope for the best. Will be happy paying £1500 but will have to wait and see! Does anyone know when the next meet is in Manchester? Would want to come down but unsure of whether to get the bus... lol instead of bring my clio haha

Adam

Bloooor

I've just been thinking about one of my mates who has a 380bhp Civic Turbo and with it being FWD it finds it hard to grip in the dry and wet... What would be the max bhp you could tune an LCR upto before it just wheel spins in every gear?

I've searched about and seen some threads about people wanting to make the Cupra R AWD but it's a difficult job to do and somebody said "you'd lose some of the rawness that makes the LCR so special."

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
To the OP

I'm gonna sound like an old fart now, but at 21 you may "think" you are an experienced driver but you are'nt. You may be able to handle a car well but can you correctly perceive hazards at speed when you have a car full of mates egging you on? I've seen far too many wrecks at the hands of inexperienced drivers with fast cars and one of the contributing factors is "peer pressure"

If I were you I'd get something a little tamer than an LCR to start with (an LC is great and 180BHP is not gonna be slow) and then work your way up the performance car ladder. That way you get used to the power available in stages and don't make as many mistakes. A 1.4 clio to an LCR is a heck of a jump!

If you do go LCR then If I were you I wouldn't plan on modding an LCR much in the first year. You will have plenty of fun with a standard LCR as its plenty fast enough. The first mod to go for is "STOPPING" power, get EBC grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads from Badger5.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
To the OP

I'm gonna sound like an old fart now, but at 21 you may "think" you are an experienced driver but you are'nt. You may be able to handle a car well but can you correctly perceive hazards at speed when you have a car full of mates egging you on? I've seen far too many wrecks at the hands of inexperienced drivers with fast cars and one of the contributing factors is "peer pressure"

If I were you I'd get something a little tamer than an LCR to start with (an LC is great and 180BHP is not gonna be slow) and then work your way up the performance car ladder. That way you get used to the power available in stages and don't make as many mistakes. A 1.4 clio to an LCR is a heck of a jump!

If you do go LCR then If I were you I wouldn't plan on modding an LCR much in the first year. You will have plenty of fun with a standard LCR as its plenty fast enough. The first mod to go for is "STOPPING" power, get EBC grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads from Badger5.

Unfortunately I would agree. This is probably the reason why insurance companies charge young people so much - £1800 is absolutely scandalous!

If you have your heart on an LCR then go for it fella but like with any other performance car take it easy! It was only a couple of months back that a fellow LCR driver passed away as a result of an accident!

If you’re looking for a 4wd car then opt for an S3. A conversion would be massively expensive and you probably wouldn’t notice any difference on UK roads (a stock LCR can handle 225bhp without any issues).

rico

Nov 16, 2006
Aberdeen
Looks sexy, sounds sexy, goes like stink, the smile it gives you every time you drive it, the looks of admiration, not to bad on the old insurance and petrol(if your canny and look around:funk:), tuning potential is massive.

Need i say any more?![B)]

DanAPR225

May 30, 2008
Cumbria
Hey Adam! Ive just moved from the clio forum too (Dan172+)! recognised the name:D

Did i recently sell you a cup spoiler??lol!

Just swapped my 200bhp clio cup for an LCR which has since had an APR remap and quite afew other choice bits..im 22 and have 9 points, so for you i wouldv thought you could get decent insurance..

Clio was a cracking car, but this leon is a serious beast and i fancied something different, boooooost FTW!:funk:

Bloooor

Hey mate! Got it sprayed and on my car now lol looks ace. What made you go for the LCR then dude? :)

This is great that you've gone form clio - LCR (be it mine is a slower clio...) but now I can discuss things like handling comparisons and does the LCR not feel like a tank compared to the 95% plastic clio's? [B)]

I can't wait for Booooost tbh mate, always loved Turbo'd cars but insurance has kept telling me 'No!' lol

Adam

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
lol im 19 and i went from a saxo 1.1 str8 to a LCR 210bph...had it for months now and still no crash (thank god).so not ALL young drivers are maniacs.

iv sorted insurance out by keeping my saxo with me as 1st name driver,allowing me to drive "my dads" LCR with his permission. you might wana try the same thing.

you seem like in the same shoes as me,from a small car to a beast.trust me its an exciting move!ul be in shock for the first few months,then ul have a cheesy grin for the next few months,after that i dont know coz im not that far yet :p

DanAPR225

May 30, 2008
Cumbria
Hey mate! Got it sprayed and on my car now lol looks ace. What made you go for the LCR then dude? :)

This is great that you've gone form clio - LCR (be it mine is a slower clio...) but now I can discuss things like handling comparisons and does the LCR not feel like a tank compared to the 95% plastic clio's? [B)]

I can't wait for Booooost tbh mate, always loved Turbo'd cars but insurance has kept telling me 'No!' lol

Adam

Just fancied a change tbh mate, my mate used to have one and rated them, and i fancied some turbo power. I looked at evos, but insurance and general running costs swung me towards the lcr. It doesnt do a bad job at all against my friends fq 300 either, who hardly ever drives it fast due to his fuel consumption:D

As for handling, im pretty sure my old clio would have rinsed it down some of the roads round here, but the LCR is pretty impressive point to point really, huge grip in some real big fast bends etc, just not quite as agile in some situations. Ive just fitted Neuspeed front and rear ARBs too which help alot, would definitely recommend them:)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Surely it is experience related rather than age? i've been driving on private land since i was 12 and racing karts etc. done 80k miles in my first 4 years, and not had an accident (touch wood). i moved into my lcr at 21; and yes, it is a weapon, but if you drive it sensibly and respect it there is no reason why you should end up in a ditch!

however, i know a few others have written off cars, mainly due to driving them past their limits.

Bloooor

lol yeh I also have a few mates who can't control their right foot and end up pushing themselves past their limits. :)

Dan - Have you got any good pics of your LCR? Also are you going to any events/shows soon? Like the one at Tatton Park on the 10th August?

I went to 'Awesome GTI - Detailed Bash' today with a mate and was quite dissapointed to only see 2 LCR's there :(

Adam

DanAPR225

May 30, 2008
Cumbria
Lol! i went to that bash too! wouldntv recognised you tho... Was in my mates Accord Type R though, not my leon.

Will try and get some pics up soon mate, still trying to get the hang of this forum:rolleyes:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
hold up..................................
You Need some reasons to like the cupra R.?....................... You nuts????????????

The lcr Speaks for it self...... its a legend and a monster at the least!

you drive a clio!! ditch it and come to the Seat side of life!!

bit of advice!
I would get a Cupra R first!! And learn how to respect it first,from a clio to a LCR you will proberly write it off!!!!!!!!! remaps, chips, i think your ahead of your game here!!

but fair play everyone has to start some where!!!! lol

cheers......................
let me know when you get one!!!

cause insurance will want at least £1600 fully comp to insure you! at 21!!!!

Erm, nope..............

I was 20 when I bought my LCR last year in May - £1300 fully comp. Bell direct online.. Just pay the whole amount off and your sorted. I'm 21 now and its £987... Next year early £800's so I've been told :)

For this car I'll happily pay these figures. I love my car to bits! Gave her an immense clean up yesterday, parked it outside work today and wow it looked awesome. You get alot of looks in the LCR [B)]

Sexy car! lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.