Rebuild!

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Hmmm ... maybe not! I cleaned up the head today and removed one of the exhaust valves, my god getting the collets out and back in is incredibly fiddly, the inlets will be even smaller and even more tricky - don't know if I can do it at home. I may have to get it done by pros after all.

*EDIT* - scrub that, got them out and back in without too much trouble so I'll be ok!!!

Last edited:

westallc

Jan 25, 2009
I got them Cheap of friend of mine whos desided to go Single collect with him reving to 9krpm...

2 people on briskoda had the single collet ones and both engines have just blown to pieces caused by the valves when reved to 9k

cant remeber the exact detail but one is being rebuilt again by jabba......

maybe worth a look on briskoda for the exact prob but deffo them valves where the problem

westallc

Jan 25, 2009
Did they have the Single Collet Keepers with them?

Or Single collet valves with OE Keepers...

not really sure but knowing the 2 cars in question they have been heavily feetled with so i assume not oem....

i will try and find the link to put up...

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
2 people on briskoda had the single collet ones and both engines have just blown to pieces caused by the valves when reved to 9k

cant remeber the exact detail but one is being rebuilt again by jabba......

maybe worth a look on briskoda for the exact prob but deffo them valves where the problem

from what i have heard, mix of single groove valves and std springs is one failure.. and on one of the failed engines, springs showed signs of coil bind/contact

the valves were not the problem... a poor mix of parts and/or assembly most likely were

another failure i have heard was a mix of 3 groove valves and supertech Ti retainer/spring kit.. (same setup I have used since 2005/6) - a collet failure reported.. popped off. weird failure.

too many variables to blame any one thing

One comment, is the suggestion to use Schrick is flawed, as they are a two piece valve still.. Supertech intake stainless steel valves are one piece, and only the inconel ones are 2-piece (because you cannot induction harden the collet groove)

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
So today I degreased the head and removed the exhaust valves, also marked out the larger port area and made a tool for removing the small inlet valves. Please ignore the old 'Tweenies' bed cover I cut up and used for rags - old kids downie cover - lol! :cartman:

Marked for porting:

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll330/SonicBlueLeon/hd6.jpg

Buckets etc. all removed:

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll330/SonicBlueLeon/hd7.jpg

Exhaust valves removed plus the tool I made for the inlet valves:

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll330/SonicBlueLeon/hd8.jpg

Tool I made beside the one I used for the exhaust valves, I cut a window in a 10mm spark plug socket with my dremel in the same style as the proper ones, bonded it to the threaded stud with steel epoxy putty:

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll330/SonicBlueLeon/hd9.jpg

I'll be removing the inlet valves tomorrow, clean them up and start cleaning up the ports too.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
So Basically You need todo it Proberly Or not bother...

Single Collet valves with single collets with springs & retainers to suit...

my opinion on them is single groove is planning on higher revs, and if high revs supertech spring kit, so single groove + retainer/spring kit are matched pair

if not planning on springs, 3 groove like oe.

I have run on 3 groove with supertech springs tho for a long time issue free, 8200rpm limiter employed and used frequently when racing - zero issues.

all imho.

choose whatever you feel is right, but std valves will never be used on anything I build on BT. I have learnt to my extreme cost what std valves can do. Total Engine + turbo right off.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
my opinion on them is single groove is planning on higher revs, and if high revs supertech spring kit, so single groove + retainer/spring kit are matched pair

if not planning on springs, 3 groove like oe.

I have run on 3 groove with supertech springs tho for a long time issue free, 8200rpm limiter employed and used frequently when racing - zero issues.

all imho.

choose whatever you feel is right, but std valves will never be used on anything I build on BT. I have learnt to my extreme cost what std valves can do. Total Engine + turbo right off.

Excellent Bill :D

Ive Got the supertech Nitride Exhaust ones at the moment...I don't on planning upping the limiter so would i need the Intake ones?

Or like said above the exhaust are just a week point>

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
std ones have fallen apart also... they are all 2 piece as std..

stainless one piece from supertech on inlets, black nitrided
they also do stainless exhausts

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.